Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Sports Subscription

• 30-12-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I am subscribing to Setanta through my Sky dish at the mo. Anyone know what the min term you have to keep it for?

I know you have to give a 30 day notice period for cancellation but do they have a min period you have to keep it for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That is all there is. You have to pay a tenner signup and you have tgive 30 days notice. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bailing out LL?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

setanta picture quality is a shambles,they need to get that sorted before i will be resubscribing,bareley watchable at the best of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mike65 wrote: »
    Bailing out LL?

Mike.

looking at an "alternative" on the cable

have to say though the pic quality is not great and on my 4:3 screen the pic is squashed in and looks pants

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

great picture quality for me, but then you have Craig Burley on :mad:

• Advertisement

I have absolutely no problem with the picture either, wonder why that is.

Have you called them and said anything about it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

dc69 wrote: »
    setanta picture quality is a shambles,they need to get that sorted before i will be resubscribing,bareley watchable at the best of times

Get your eyes tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Compared to Sky Sports 1/2/3, the picture quality is a complete shambles.

For what they are charging, there should be a HD option as oppossed to an overly compressed piece of **** picture.

Is it different in the UK ? Picture over here is as good as anything else I watch.

Not quite sure. Artifacting is as clear as day. You watching it on a CRT or LCD? Out of curiosity, what is the quiality of the LFC channel for you?

• Advertisement

LFC is not very good, well the picture is okay but sometimes the synching is off for voices.

Obviously the camera work is a bit dodgy for the reserve games and the quality is poor there but aside from that is alright.

Have it on both, don't notice a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Maybe I should get my eyes tested

Crisis :| Am watching though an HD box on a LCD and the picture quality of Setanta is generally bad compared to normal sky but the LFC stuff is a shambles.

Get your eyes tested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setanta_Sports#Criticisms

sky broadcast it for them to ntl and sky customers and will not give them a good bitrate,because they want people to buy sky sports.so basically it means the picture gets pixely and is about 75% of the quality of sky sports and sky do this on purpose.thats the same for people with a sky dish and ntl box.as sky send it to ntl aswell.so maybe you should get your eyes tested!also depends on how big your tv is!

@Lex Luther-the pic looks squashed because the channel is broadcasting in 16:9 and your tv is 4:3,
    #Press services on your Sky remote control.
    # Highlight System Setup using the up/down arrows, and press select.
    # Highlight Picture Settings and press select.
    change the aspect ratio to 4:3 and set the picture setting (something like that) from pal to rgb,the channel will fill the tv but will cut off some of the Picture,so its whichever you prefer.

*if you guys are watching on sky on a widescreen do the above but change the aspect ratio to 16:9 and set the picture setting (something like that) from pal to rgb.that will give you the best pic available on all channels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sky broadcast it for them to ntl and sky customers and will not give them a good bitrate,because they want people to buy sky sports.so basically it means the picture gets pixely and is about 75% of the quality of sky sports and sky do this on purpose.

I am sorry but that is bull****. If that was the case it would be highly illegal. If anyone would be doing the uplinking to the Eurobird satellite it is probably NTL or Setanta themselves.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I am sorry but that is bull****. If that was the case it would be highly illegal. If anyone would be doing the uplinking to the Eurobird satellite it is probably NTL or Setanta themselves.

where do you think ntl get sky 1 and some other channels from?as most of their channels come from virgin in the uk,hence on ntl we get virgin tv etc,as you know virgin in the uk dont have sky 1 and a select few other sky channels?highly illegal my ass!do you think they are just robbing it?lol,sky give them a direct feed from somewhere.if setanta were putting it up themselves why would they use a low bitrate?they would use as high as they could if they were doing it themselves.look at lfc tv,its laughable quality

where do you think ntl get sky 1 and some other channels from?as most of their channels come from virgin in the uk,hence on ntl we get virgin tv etc,as you know virgin in the uk dont have sky 1 and a select few other sky channels?highly illegal my ass!do you think they are just robbing it?lol,sky give them a direct feed from somewhere.

What are you talking about? What has the availability of Sky One on Virgin got to do with this? The missing Sky channels aren't there because Virgin wouldn't pay what Sky wanted for the channels.

Setanta are renting transponder space just like every other channel. Sky aren't providing space to Setanta. You said the low bitrates are as a result of Sky. The low bitrates are because of Setanta putting too many channels on the transponder. Not because of Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have a good quality 37" widescreen with Sky Digital. For me RTE is by far and away the best quality picture. Sky isn't far off. BBC isn't great for me and Setanta is worse. I'd have to be close to the telly to notice much difference though. Setanta used to be a terrible picture but it's improved a lot.

One thing a lot of people don't do with their TV is change the picture settings. That's vital. The difference between the default settings and my current settings is huge. It takes a lot of trial and error though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have to agree with the posters above about the quality of Setanta, it's pure crap compared with Sky Sports. I've had both Sky Sports and Setanta on both Sky and NTL platforms, and Setanta has always been ****e on both whereas Sky Sports always has a top notch picture on both.

Don't know the reasons for it, but Setanta and the other associated channels like Celtic TV are definitely more compressed or a lower bit rate than Sky Sports.

@ Lex - if your alternative is NTL cable, I'd stick with Sky to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Just flicking through the channels today and there was GAA on Setanta. Interviewing the Monaghan manager in his kitchen with massive echo and no lip syncing. They've be a breath of fresh air in the Irish market (Setanta Cup, etc) but they're on par with TV3 at times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Thought they would've had one of the EPL matchs on from tomorrow or Wednesday but doesn't seem to be any which is poor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

PauloMN wrote: »

@ Lex - if your alternative is NTL cable, I'd stick with Sky to be honest.

was looking at getting multi room with SKY but was down in cork last week and noticed a **** being used on the chorus which I have also that has setanta

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't mention the unmentionable. They're illegal to use.

Gridlock wrote: »
    Thought they would've had one of the EPL matchs on from tomorrow or Wednesday but doesn't seem to be any which is poor!

There is a simple reason for this. They don't have the rights to show games outside of Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    There is a simple reason for this. They don't have the rights to show games outside of Saturday and Sunday.

They have the rights to Monday night matches too.

But still not Tuesday or Wednesday :)

Advertisement