Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy this Monitor and Computer new for €1349?

Options
  • 30-12-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Asus Geforce EN8800GT 512MB
    Samsung 206BW
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
    3GB Aeneon Value 800MHz [3 x 1024MB]
    Samsung Spinpoint T166 320GB 7200RPM 16MB
    LG DVD Dual Layer Lightscribe Black
    Corsair HX520w
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Clean Install

Company Of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

Okay I think I learned what the market wants a bit more.

This one comes with a Samsung 206BW which, ask anyone, is the greatest
    20" monitor for gaming.

The E6750 provides great overclocking and gaming and is recommended a better buy than the E6850.
    This is paired with the best cooler of all time, the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, a HSF that could send the devil himself back to the ice age.

The case is eveyones favourite, the Antec Nine Hundred which is " not just a snazzy looker, it's extremely effective too, thanks to the oodles of cooling capability and even an external fan speed controller".

Samsung's Spinpoint hard disk features high performance and low noise
    levels. With the ability to load games faster than Western Digital's
    10000RPM Raptor X and proves itself very fast in applications such as
    Paint Shop Pro ( PSP not included)

The Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L is a solid and effective motherboard for overclocking. Also the Gigabyte motherboard will provide more FPS in your games and applications than most motherboards.

The Corsair HX520W is nicely positioned in the performance sector.
    Rated high enough to be taken seriously by gamers but extremely
    efficient and not so high powered to provoke tongue clucking by
    energy misers. It is a 120mm fan unit with detachable modular
    cables.

The computer also comes with 2GB of Aeneon's Ram which runs ridiculosly fast at 800MHz!

The Asus 8800GT is awesome. Having more stream processors
    than its 8800GTS predecessor as well as sporting 512MB of RAM,
    they're is no wonder it plays your favourite games at resolutions of
    up to 1,920 x 1,200 while also supporting DirectX10

The LG DVD Dual Layer Burner uses Lightscribe technology which is an
    optical disc recording technology that utilizes specially coated
    recordable CD and DVD media to produce laser-etched labels text
    or graphics, as opposed to stick-on labels.

Windows Vista is the newest operating system from Microsoft. It
    provides futuristic 3D effects and Windows Gadgets. It also boasts
    High Definition support and DirectX 10 gaming which are not
    available on Windows XP.

The computer also comes with Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts which provides superb visuals and is overloaded with great gameplay.

I think this is a lot more better value for money and comes with a Monitor, OS and a free DirectX 10 game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

Its a very nice pc,all top quality components.....

Mobo is great (I have it) im running a E2140 at over 2.6ghz on it on air,you should get well above 3.0ghz no prob.....

Monitor is what €260 on its own,so €1100 is a fair price.....

A dell xps420 with quad core 2.4hz,8800gt for €950 was good value imo,but this pc is much better,alot of untapped potential in it...

Where are you buying from?

Build it youself would roughly cost

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 €160
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro €18
    Antec Nine Hundred €100?
    Asus Geforce EN8800GT 512MB €240
    Samsung 206BW €250
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L €70
    2GB Corsair XMS2 Extreme 800MHz €50
    Samsung Spinpoint T166 320GB 7200RPM 16MB €70
    LG DVD Dual Layer Lightscribe Black €30
    Corsair HX520w €80
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit €100
    Company Of Heroes: Opposing Fronts €40

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Thank you. I am trying to start my own website with good value computers for sale.

Fair play for the overclock too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Windows Vista is an absolute hog on resources. You'll need all that 2Gb of RAM just to run the OS!

if you really think you need DirectX 10 that bad, then go ahead, but when you see Microsoft offering to downgrade business users to XP free of charge, you should have some idea of how bad it is.

With maybe 6 to 8 games at present supporting DX10 and only a handful of video cards, then it's probably better to wait for (a) Vista to at least have 1 service pack and (b) a bit more support and implementation in the wider world.

oh ya.. the dell doesn't include a monitor.. with a Dell 20" it comes to €1349 without True-life. With Truelife its up to 1430..

By the way, why does dell prefer to sell risky RAID setups than one better preforming solid hard disk?

Which is better?

3GB Value 800MHz Ram
    or
    2GB XMS2 low latancy 800MHz Ram

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

toco123 wrote: »
    oh ya.. the dell doesn't include a monitor.. with a Dell 20" it comes to €1349 without True-life. With Truelife its up to 1430..

By the way, why does dell prefer to sell risky RAID setups than one better preforming solid hard disk?

Which is better?

3GB Value 800MHz Ram
    or
    2GB XMS2 low latancy 800MHz Ram

3Gb's will always be better then 2gb and lower as long as there isnt a huge gap in their run speed

• Advertisement

Rig Updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Windows Vista is an absolute hog on resources. You'll need all that 2Gb of RAM just to run the OS!

if you really think you need DirectX 10 that bad, then go ahead, but when you see Microsoft offering to downgrade business users to XP free of charge, you should have some idea of how bad it is.

With maybe 6 to 8 games at present supporting DX10 and only a handful of video cards, then it's probably better to wait for (a) Vista to at least have 1 service pack and (b) a bit more support and implementation in the wider world.

Ive been using Vista since its release , and to be honest all of the above is now sorely outdated information , While it was a pain for compatibility at the start due to lack of drivers , its fine now , and I wouldnt go back to XP if you paid me too. I find XP clunky and basic now.

As regards the memory , there is no point having it unless you use it , people have gotten to used to loading up XP with memory and smiling when the meter says its only using 10% , thats just a waste of money , and while Vistas memory cacheing was a little extreme to start with its pretty good now.

Service packs will not have the same impact as with XP , the main reason being that the updates are coming all the time , if your updates are " up to date " then you will already have 95% of the service pack by the time its released ...

Its my job to keep up to date with the latest in tech , which is why I got Vista so early on , .... I suggest people try and keep abreast of the latest developments before posting ... Vista is pretty solid now , I have not had one issue with it in months ... and that includes a lot of gaming , old games and new.

The majority of people who do switch back to XP are doing so not for valid technical reasons , but simply because they cant be bothered to learn something new , pretty much the same reason XP was hated when it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I also have had Vista since beta and have it on a separate partition on one of my computers. When it's finished it'll be great :D, but until then I don't think so.

A lot of the problems TBH are to do with the configurations that are suppplied with Vista installed. The vast majority of PC's from Dell etc. come with 1Gb of RAM and as a result Vista crawls.

However, this is an operating system, it's supposed to run in the background and run your programs for you. It's not supposed to be in your face with demands for more RAM and anything else you can afford to throw at it simply because you can't use your machine properly without acceding to those demands. Having 90% of your resources free to run programs is a good thing, not some sort of extravagance.

Most of the people who are looking for performance are putting in extra RAM, faster and larger hard disks and Ninja video cards are doing it to run games. The OS is there to support that, not to take it all away so that you have to start over just to satisfy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

mathias wrote: »
    Ive been using Vista since its release , and to be honest all of the above is now sorely outdated information , While it was a pain for compatibility at the start due to lack of drivers , its fine now , and I wouldnt go back to XP if you paid me too. I find XP clunky and basic now.

As regards the memory , there is no point having it unless you use it , people have gotten to used to loading up XP with memory and smiling when the meter says its only using 10% , thats just a waste of money , and while Vistas memory cacheing was a little extreme to start with its pretty good now.

Service packs will not have the same impact as with XP , the main reason being that the updates are coming all the time , if your updates are " up to date " then you will already have 95% of the service pack by the time its released ...

Its my job to keep up to date with the latest in tech , which is why I got Vista so early on , .... I suggest people try and keep abreast of the latest developments before posting ... Vista is pretty solid now , I have not had one issue with it in months ... and that includes a lot of gaming , old games and new.

The majority of people who do switch back to XP are doing so not for valid technical reasons , but simply because they cant be bothered to learn something new , pretty much the same reason XP was hated when it came out.

+ 1

I agree. Without this turning into an XP versus Vista argument, I would never be able to go back to XP. I have Vista on my laptop and desktop and I have never had a problem that was as serious as people made it out to be.

OP: Go with Vista. You will be future-proofing it anyway.

As for the ram I feel 2 gigs of a good brand would do just fine.

EDIT: I think the free game is a nice touch! You might consider a Quad-core version of that system so the buyer has the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I also have had Vista since beta and have it on a separate partition on one of my computers. When it's finished it'll be great , but until then I don't think so.

A lot of the problems TBH are to do with the configurations that are suppplied with Vista installed. The vast majority of PC's from Dell etc. come with 1Gb of RAM and as a result Vista crawls.

Well then either you clearly dont use it much or your still using the beta , try updating

And the vast majority of PC's from Dell Crawl , full stop ,

By the way , as you can see from the amount of updates that nearly every OS gets every month , no OS is ever finished ... until its obsolete of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This is paired with the best cooler of all time, the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, a HSF that could send the devil himself back to the ice age.

:rolleyes: Good cooler, not that great for quads tho, most peeps change the fan to a better one, there are other more expensive better coolers like the tuniq tower

Mathais is right... Dell's crawl with 3 gigs of ram too!
    Mostly because they don'y understand CLEAN INSTALL!!!

Main Rig will cost €1099

Upgrade options would be:

Aeneon 3gb
    or
    Corsair XMS Xtreme 2GB [ +€0]

No Monitor
    or
    Samsung HD 20" 206BW [ +€250]

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    or
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 stepping[ +€70]

LG DVD Dual Layer Lightscribe Black
    or
    Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-Ray Reader [ +€140]
    or
    LG GGC-H20L LightScribe Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM SATA [ +€275]

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Good cooler, not that great for quads tho, most peeps change the fan to a better one, there are other more expensive better coolers like the tuniq tower

Tuniq tower is hard to get these days. cant find it anywhere I look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Here

FFS, I paid £80 for mine when they were first released

Its probably not worth providing the option as most people would probably still choose the freezer 7 pro due to its great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I don't think it matters.
    They probably wont be overclocking it so you don't need cutting edge cooling as it's the average home user, so just get one that looks good through the Antec 900's window. Take pics and use that as a selling point.

Spot on!

I'll whip the Canon 40D out asap!!

Trying to think of a website tats easy to remember like dellbeaters.com or persyhagsarse.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

Spot on!

I'll whip the Canon 40D out asap!!

Trying to think of a website tats easy to remember like dellbeaters.com or persyhagsarse.com

What kind of setups are you going to do?

Budget,expansive,sli monsters etc

If you dont mind me asking how are you going to compete in terms of prices etc?

Plus the hassle of Domains,returns,repairs,technical support etc.....

Theres a market out there for sure,well maybe there is more of a market for a guy to build my pc with the parts I have chosen from komplett,dabs,overclocker,hmv etc.....

They send the parts to your address when they buy from komplett etc and you build it for whatever price you seem fair and post it......

The truth is that option would possibly NOT work as the service would usually cost between 30% ~ 50% which is grand for Komplett when they make your system as they are already charging profit on the components.
    Most people who know the components of a pc, know how to make one.
    Yes, i'm taking all these matters into consideration but I don't plan to take on more than I can manage.

Advertisement