Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is God Omniscient?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Conar wrote: »
    Well allowing faith to override the need for proof is in my opinion the greatest cop out of all time.

There is loads of proof, it is called the Bible. The Bible reports on events that happened. There are no writings to dispute thoses events. We also see live changed completely after the acceptance of Christ. there is loads of proof besides 'feelings".
    Have you seen the living God in the life of Jesus, or to whom are you referring when you say we?
    There are so many people that "experience" paranormal activities on a daily basis but until I see proof of it then I will continue to believe they are either delusional or simply reading to much into events.

Then go beyond the feelings and examine the changed lives. Ask people how their lives have changed since accepting Christ.

So you say there is no god?

Now I'll wait to hear your well reasoned proof for this position?

As nice as it must have been to have caught someone off guard in an argument, I don't see how your little anecdote has any bearing on anything.
    What does his lack of response prove?

The lack of response prooves how idiotic a statemnet it was. He stated 'there is not God'. I simply asked for his proof, how he came to determine that there was no God. Then came the very answer that every atheist gives, you can't prove there is one, so therefore there has to be none.

Absolutely brilliant isn't it, make a statement then absolve yourself of any responsibility in proving that your statemnt is true?
    It is up to the police to prove a crime was committed, not up to a suspect to prove it wasn't. If I told you that I could pause time would it be up to you to prove I can't etc etc..

It is both. A suspect can prove it didn't happen by being able to disassociate himself from the events, ie, being somewhere else at the time.

It happens frequently, the defendant shows how they couldn't have commited the crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

robindch wrote: »
    As steve says, just because you think there's something out there, doesn't mean there actually is..

I agree, but that is not the whole story robin and you know it.
    robindch wrote: »
    Lots of muslims feel the presence of Allah in their lives, lost of hindus talk about the reality of Ganesh and Ram and it's pretty much the same for all the other believers and gods. By implication from your line "There are so many people that experience the living God in their daily lives", you've "shown" (to your standards) that all the other gods must exist too, including all the ones which are just as omnipotent, omniscient and unique as your god.

As I said, it's lousy reasoning, and it leads to a completely unjustified conclusion.

Of course the other gods exist, I never said they didn't. What are the results of a belief in those gods?

Along with knwoing and understanding the presence of God, you see the transformed lives, there are results that go along with the 'feelings'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I agree, but that is not the whole story robin and you know it.
    I never said that that was the whole story :) Rather, I was simply pointing out that saying "so many people that experience the living God in their daily lives" does not prove that god exists, any more than people experiencing Allah in their daily lives proves that Allah exists, or that my belief that I'm going to win on the 5:40 at Doncaster means that I will. Belief does not equal reality, especially in a belief system which actually requires and applauds the suspension of disbelief -- does this ever make you suspicious?
    Of course the other gods exist, I never said they didn't.
    So, Allah exists, and like the christian god, is also the sole creator of the universe? And all the Greek Primordial Gods exist too, and they also created the universe? I must say that I don't quite understand your point of view here. Can you explain in a bit more detail?
    What are the results of a belief in those gods?
    Pretty much identical to the results of belief in the various versions of the christian deity.
    Along with knwoing and understanding the presence of God, you see the transformed lives, there are results that go along with the 'feelings'.
    You seem to be missing the point here (see your first response above). I]Something[/I and I]belief in something[/I are different things and simply because a belief in something produces an effect, doesn't mean that the belief reflects reality. Take a look at the paranoid conspiracy forum and the "transformed lives" there, and tell me if all of their beliefs reflect the real world.

Advertisement