Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Gaggia set.

Options
  • 30-12-2007 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a budget of circa 500 for some coffee equipment.

I am currently looking at http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/store/gaggia_set_classic.html

Is this a good deal / starting point ?

Or would I be better off concentrating on the espresso machine for the moment and getting a grinder later in the year.

I wouldn't be a 'heavy' coffee drinker, a cup in the morning Mon-Fri with a couple @ the weekend.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I can't advise on that particular set I'm afraid as I've never used either piece of equipment. However in general terms I would say the grinder is every bit as important as the espresso machine, so I wouldn't advise you to delay getting one.

You won't believe the difference a good grinder will make to the quality of your drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 krady

This is the exact same setup I've been using or many years now. It's really very hard to fault for the price given. I've been thinking about the faults prior to upgrading. I use the kit about as much as you are talking of (mornings and more often at weekends, though I'm making coffee for two so that might be a difference).

The grinder has a doser which can result in a lot of waste. That said it's one of the better dosers out there with very little of a professional Mazzer's tendency to throw left. Opinions vary hugely whether doserless or dosed is best for home usage (since you would never actually use a doser in the way it is intended to be used of filling it full of ground coffee). As my burrs grind down (must get around to replacing them) I find that the stepped adjustment is annoying but then I never use more than one type of coffee bean in it. Otherwise it is fast and makes a very even grind.

The tray setup is actually really handy to have but you should still get a tamper mat to avoid the worst of the remaining spillage. The knock bar in the tray has a habit of falling out when you are emptying the tray and, being made of wood in the one I have, eventually wears down.

The actual espresso machine is very good for espresso if a little primitive by todays standards (no auto-flow, no warning if you are about to overflow the drip-tray, no emptiness sensor in the water tank). It is surprisingly tolerant of hard water which can save a certain amount of hassle descaling it (you still have to but not as frequently as some other machines). It is utterly rubbish at making steam. This is generally the problem with single-boiler home machines since you have to change mode and wait before making the steam or switching back to making espresso (which gives time for one or the other to go cold). The main problem though is that the flow simply isn't enough to steam the milk in a reasonable time or even really to get a good micro-foam swirl going. I'm spoiled by the semi-professional machines in work, admittedly, but it is annoying.

In summary, if you want a setup to start with that will last you a good few years and you mostly make espresso rather than milk based drinks this is definitely he way to go. At this price it is hard to argue with it.

Do get a proper tamper though, the standard one is a rubbish lump of plastic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looks like a very decent set-up, great for 500 notes. Any of the machines with the extras that are mentioned above will cost considerably more than €500. As Krady says, pick up a decent tamper and a good jug if you plan on making lattés.

Also, if you do steam your milk, run some water off from the group-head into a cup before making the next espresso, the pressure tends to be all over the place for a few seconds after steaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

cgf wrote: »
    Folks,

I have a budget of circa 500 for some coffee equipment.

I am currently looking at http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/store/gaggia_set_classic.html

Is this a good deal / starting point ?

Or would I be better off concentrating on the espresso machine for the moment and getting a grinder later in the year.

I wouldn't be a 'heavy' coffee drinker, a cup in the morning Mon-Fri with a couple @ the weekend.

Cheers.

CGF

I received an email from Expressocoffee shop this evening. They have advised that Gaggia have stopped making the Classic. Can anyone shed any light on this? For the same price, they are offering the new Baby Class instead as part of that offer.
    Whilst not trying to appear lazy, can any Boarders provide an opinion on the Baby Class?

Thanks for your help
    Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Thread on both the Gaggia Baby Class and Classic here

• Advertisement

Thread on both the Gaggia Baby Class and Classic here

Thanks Gran Hermao,

I was just reading that....

Conor

De nada, I've used various Gaggia machines over the years without any
    bother but I haven't used the Baby Class model. As you know it's relatively
    new on the market hence reviews are not that common. Several forum
    members have purchased it, if you're lucky they might post their feedback.

I'd be surprised if Gaggia replaced the Classic with a bad machine. On a side
    note any time I've dealt with Gaggia UK I've found them helpful and I rate
    their machines. I can vouch that the MDF grinder will provide both the grind
    you need and consistent results.

Best of luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I've had the same response from www.espressocoffeeshop.com when I tried to order the gaggia classic.

I went ahead and ordered the new baby class (and MDF grinder) and I them fantastic. In saying that it is my first espresso machine so I have no reference point.

I know it certainly makes better coffee than most cafes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Folks,

The deed is done - just ordered a http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/store/set_gaggia_twin.html

Need to pick up a decent tamper now. I tried ordering 1 from Happy Donkey but am getting a message saying that there are no shipping methods available. I've sent them a mail to see what the story is.

Many thanks for taking the time to give your inputs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Happy Donkey will sort you out. That's where I got mine, very good value. 'Scott' is the gents name.

• Advertisement

Can't remember where I picked my tamper up, but Ristretto have them
    in stock. Postage from N. Ireland may be cheaper, it's much faster than
    happydonkey in my experience - takes only 2 days.

http://www.ristrettocoffee.com/shop/Scripts/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Happy Donkey will indeed sort you out if you e-mail them. I ordered a group seal for my Gaggia recently and had the same issue, which they sorted with one e-mail.

On tampers, I would highly recommend the Presso Barista tamper. They're based in Sweden, but it seems that he's no longer shipping directly, only through dealers, so I don't know whether you can get them here as easily these days. It's probably worth dropping Lars a line though, cos he a good and really helpful guy, and they really are good tampers.

Folks,

The deed is done - just ordered a http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/store/set_gaggia_twin.html

Need to pick up a decent tamper now. I tried ordering 1 from Happy Donkey but am getting a message saying that there are no shipping methods available. I've sent them a mail to see what the story is.

Many thanks for taking the time to give your inputs.

CGF

Good luck with that. I spoke to them this morning, there's a backlog in relation to the MDF grinder, and they don't expect to have them in until the end of Jan. I ordered the Baby Twin with the Rocky grinder today.

Did you get a response from Happy Donkey on the tamper?

Thanks
    Conor

Yep - Scott got me sorted.

I think they just pre-screen orders to Ireland in case the cost of postage will be in excess of their standard rate posting. I emailed their contact address ( info@happydonkey.co.uk ) letting them know what I wanted to order and got a mail back saying that it was ok to order and they advised me what to put in the delivery address.

Very prompt responses to my email - well impressed.

FYI I ordered a tamper, a tamper mat and some beans to play with in early Feb. :)

Conor,

Changed my order to the Baby Twin with Rocky grinder a few days ago and got the set yesterday via Fedex.

Well happy with the Baby Twin - haven't had a chance to use the grinder yet. Am away with work next week so will be next weekend before I come looking for help on grinding .......

As posted earlier, a proper tamper is a must - the one supplied is cheap as chips.

Conor,

Changed my order to the Baby Twin with Rocky grinder a few days ago and got the set yesterday via Fedex.

Well happy with the Baby Twin - haven't had a chance to use the grinder yet. Am away with work next week so will be next weekend before I come looking for help on grinding .......

As posted earlier, a proper tamper is a must - the one supplied is cheap as chips.

CGF

Sorry about the delay in responding....

Mine has arrived as well, but I haven't much chance to use it yet. I have managed to get the Rocky set up (and found the 0 point) and bought some beans in M&S to test with.

I've e-mailed Happy Donkey a couple of times and didn't get a response (despite me phoning as well). Scott did recommend the 58mm tamper though. I'm just about to buy one on Drury's...

Good luck with it!

Thanks to all those who responded to date. I may be back with queries as I get testing the set up properly.

Conor.

Advertisement