Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat flaps in double glazed doors

• 30-12-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here any experience of getting a cat flap put into a double glazed conservatory door? I know you can get them, but I'm a little worried about the seal being broken on the glass, and moisture getting in between the two glass layers, not to mention the possibility of the glass being ruined in the process.

Also, because the only place we can put it is in the conservatory, and the conservatory encloses the exit from the kitchen, we'll have to put a cat flap in the kitchen door as well, and I'm wondering whether you can get two different cat flaps that are coded the same for the collars.

Also any ideas on where to buy, and who to contact for getting the glass door one fitted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

First, have a look at your glazing.

If it is stamped somewhere (usually in a corner) it is most likely toughened glass/safety glass.

In that case you can cancel your project right there ...because toughened glass can not be cut ...it breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could you put it in a wall in the kitchen instead ? far lot less things to potentially go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bushy... wrote: »
    Could you put it in a wall in the kitchen instead ? far lot less things to potentially go wrong.
    Unfortunately not .. there's only one outside wall in the kitchen and that leads into the conservatory at the back of the house. There's a side alleyway but there are rooms all along that wall which are usually closed at night. I've considered putting one in the front door, but a) that'd look a bit silly and b) it's north facing and it can get pretty cold and draughty.

peasant wrote: »
    First, have a look at your glazing.

If it is stamped somewhere (usually in a corner) it is most likely toughened glass/safety glass.

In that case you can cancel your project right there ...because toughened glass can not be cut ...it breaks.
    Give that man a medal .. yes, you're right it's stamped TOUGHENED.

The only other thing I can think of is to get a hole put through the small wall in the conservatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Well I got one done a couple of weeks ago for my two cats. Cost 360 euros and its a completely new panel that was put in. He cracked it the first time putting it in and realised it would be better if 2 of them put the new panel in.

The cats love it! :D

CIMG1100-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

Antivirus, was your glass toughened?

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Well I got one done a couple of weeks ago for my two cats. Cost 360 euros and its a completely new panel that was put in. He cracked it the first time putting it in and realised it would be better if 2 of them put the new panel in.

Interesting. Is it still toughened glass? And how did they do it if, as Peasant says, it can't be cut? :confused: I assume you had to give them the exact dimensions for the hole beforehand, and I also assume that it was sealed around the edges of the hole, just like it is around the edges.

It's toughened and vacuum sealed. They come out and measure your panel and cat door, then a few days later they come over and take out the existing panel and put in the new panel.

CIMG1343-1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I assume you can do same for dog flap??
    Could you either post what company you used for this or PM me?

Thanks

It's toughened and vacuum sealed. They come out and measure your panel and cat door, then a few days later they come over and take out the existing panel and put in the new panel.
    Great, thanks! And could you maybe let me know who did it, in case I get blank stares from any local firms I contact?

BTW, is that a special step I see there, just for the cats :D ?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Great, thanks! And could you maybe let me know who did it, in case I get blank stares from any local firms I contact?

BTW, is that a special step I see there, just for the cats :D ?

I got it made by Lucan glass. I rang lots of place's and most of them would do it but I had to wait to long and I needed it quickly.

Yip thats a little step for them, its the cover of an old pc but works perfectly!

God dam, I've just realised I'm there slave!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I got it made by Lucan glass. I rang lots of place's and most of them would do it but I had to wait to long and I needed it quickly.

Yip thats a little step for them, its the cover of an old pc but works perfectly!

God dam, I've just realised I'm there slave!!!

Yeah, cats will do that to you! They're very cute and look very happy!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Antivirus, that looks like a very tidy job, didn't really think it could be done that well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 mjtaljaard

Hi there Antivirus.
    Who did this for you as I need to get it done as well.
    Thanks.

CIMG1100-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 noodlespoodles

Oh man, that is just great. I am going back to work on Wednesday and am in a state as we have a little dog that will need to get out. I have a few neighbours rowing in to help out but I would be so much happier if I had a dog flap. I think my dog could get in and out that flap no problem. I'm sick about leaving the dog but my kids were bawling when I said I thought we should give the dog away. He will be on his own from 8.30 to about 2.45pm - I hate the thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Sorry to re-open an old thread, but I need to get this done (by someone, not myself!) and have been quoted €300-350 (for a whole new unit with the catflap cut into it). Does anyone have any suggestions for anyone who could better this price?

Advertisement