Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How exactly is this done? :O

Options
  • 30-12-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Being an EU country can we just buy a 1way ticket right now to another EU country and start looking for a job there etc or is there more to it? Or is a 'living' visa required etc? I thought us euros could basically just float about the different EU countries without hassle granted we had the money for travel :P

Anyway, point being, il bum off to bruxelles before the holiday is over if get the thumbs up but im not totally sure of whether Im allowed to just 'bum off' :p

gah this thing has no structure, oh well im tired :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope. Some countries may require you to register your presence, and you work you'll probably have to get a social security number etc but they can't stop you from choosing where you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Here in Finland, you need to register with the local government to get a social security number. Also, to get that, you'll need a residence permit from the police. As an EU citizen, you'll get these without any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You must be finnish ;)

Theres no legal requirement to register with the police. Your supposed to register after 156 days with city hall and your normal place of address.

As an EU citizen you don't need any sort of a permit.

If you have a car, your also meant to change the registration over after 156 days.

Alot of these countries tell you "its the law" which is absolute bull. Holland for example say "its the law" to change over your driving license after a year. Your EU driving license is valid for as long as its valid. An irish individual brought the Dutch government to court over it and won.

To get a tax registration number you need to have a job offer and an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

craichoe wrote: »

As an EU citizen you don't need any sort of a [residence] permit.

As an EU citizen, I needed one when I moved here 10 years ago. I wasn't able to register with the tax office until I got one. It lasts for 5 years but EU citizens' 2nd permits are permanent whereas non EU citizens will always need to renew their permits every 5 years.
    craichoe wrote: »
    Alot of these countries tell you "its the law" which is absolute bull. Holland for example say "its the law" to change over your driving license after a year. Your EU driving license is valid for as long as its valid.

My drivers' licence did me fine in Finland until it expired and it was no problem switching it over to a Finnish one then. But I remember when my wife moved to Ireland 12 years ago (for two years), my car insurance company wouldn't accept her licence, even though it was the "pink" EU licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

As an EU citizen, I needed one when I moved here 10 years ago. I wasn't able to register with the tax office until I got one. It lasts for 5 years but EU citizens' 2nd permits are permanent whereas non EU citizens will always need to renew their permits every 5 years.

Yes, or you go to the City hall and they say you can't register without a tax number. Its totally hit and miss, but theres no need to register and most expats on short term contracts (6 months - 1year) never do.
    My drivers' licence did me fine in Finland until it expired and it was no problem switching it over to a Finnish one then. But I remember when my wife moved to Ireland 12 years ago (for two years), my car insurance company wouldn't accept her licence, even though it was the "pink" EU licence.

Yup, vaild until it expires. Its against the law in Ireland or any other EU country to turn down insurance based on the fact that its an out of state EU License. You can contact the Irish Insurance Federation in Ireland. A former colleage of mine has been driving in Ireland for a number of years with an Irish car on a Norwegian license which is valid for some silly amount of time (till he's 75 i think)

• Advertisement
Advertisement