Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-zealous thread locking?

Options
  • 30-12-2007 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi folk,
    Hope u all had a good one etc.

Regarding this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055204476&page=2

If you read down and see how it progressed and then how it was locked I feel it might have been a bit swift. The reason for it being locked was for 'mentioning the unmentionable' etc but actually said promoter or said concert was never mentioned unless I'm mistaken - just an assumed price for (any) gig on the upcoming Radiohead tour, as you will see the direction it was going was about how much they charge for shows and who has control which admittedly getting to close to comfort to banned subjects. But does Denalihighway's post constitute breaking the rules? I'm asking and not telling by the way, just hoping to open up some dialogue...

- and if it was actually 'mentioning the unmentionable' - then why not give a stern warning about what specifically should not be mentioned so as to cut everything off at the pass instead of instantly locking the thread and ruining what was shaping up to be an interesting one about Radioheads' new business procedures and revenue streams etc (and I'm not just saying that cuz I was opening poster).

whether or not this was 'over-zealous' modding is up for debate but as we've discussed before, over-zealous modding is highly counter-productive to the boards. My opinion would be that the mod was right to step in where
    they did but a strict warning would have sufficed and then further sanction if the rules were flouted again.

Not very festive, sorry :)
    Happy New Year though!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

way too many threads on this site get locked
    its ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think you're a week late. Most likely the offending post was deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The mod did warn you lot.

This is precisely the reason that every forum has an omnipresent sticky in the first place.

A necessary, and correct lock. That's the way it has to be unfortunately..

green123, care to posit some examples?Have you PMed the mods in question where this has occurred previously?

the interesting ones with speculation , hearsay, gossip
    and the ones slagging off people or companies
    the ones with links to streams or torrents

stop locking these threads

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

green123 wrote: »

No. Reason: Libellous / illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The long and the short of it is, boards.ie has to tread very carefully in matters concerning an ongoing legal case, and if a thread happens to be bringing up certain topics that are banned, then of course it should be locked.

Look at the big picture here, would you prefer to see A) a few threads locked, or B) the entire site locked (Shut down)?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's a ridiculous disgrace that you haven't set up your own site for people to talk about such things. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Quick, lock this thread! The ironing...

other sites and forums allow pretty much anything to be discussed and dont seem to have these problems

circle the wagons, here come the mods to trot out the company line

other sites and forums allow pretty much anything to be discussed and dont seem to have these problems

Others sites and forums that aren't hosted in Ireland and aren't bound by Irish law maybe? :rolleyes:

Great. We hadn't had one of these threads in a while. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You don't know much about Irish libel law, do you?

It's all a mod conspiracy of course, and we are all mindless drones, acting on the whim of the admin overlords.

However did you uncover our secret?

However did you uncover our secret?

He's a clever one, he is. Beware of his superior powers of deduction.

I think we're gonna need a bigger boat.

rolleyes1ei.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You haven't a ****ing notion about what you are talking about. Use those other forums and piss off if you're going to piss your pants about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Down with the mods! Lets hunt them all down!!

2014797.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

It's all a mod conspiracy of course, and we are all mindless drones, acting on the whim of the admin overlords.

Don't you mean reptilian admin overlords ? Oh Sh*t, I've said too much haven't I :o:o

Just to clarify, did someone mention the unmentionable and the offending post was deleted as can't see any trace of it on the thread the OP linked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

There were references to ticketprices, and so i felt that it was only a matter of time before someone came in and started talking about it. So taking John's (the old mod of Alt & Indie) advice i locked the thread.

Yay, my first feedback!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

There were references to ticketprices, and so i felt that it was only a matter of time before someone came in and started talking about it.

OK, so just to clarify.....no-one mentioned the unmentionable and you just locked it in case they did ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

There were references to ticketprices, and so i felt that it was only a matter of time before someone came in and started talking about it. So taking John's (the old mod of Alt & Indie) advice i locked the thread.

Yay, my first feedback!!

i was gonna say something to someone about that lock at the time but forgot...

could mods have not split the thread, garbage the unmentionable mentions or posts leading to unmentionable mentions, deliver a stern warning and taken it from there? it wasn't a bad discussion, in fact compared to any of the other active topics it was positively riveting until the unmentioned unmentionable mentions, better than all those facking list threads in the music category we see too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

When a topic is gravitating towards the unmentionable (which this one was always gonna go to, seeing as how discussion had moved on to ticket prices to make up for album sales) I see no problem in locking it. Saves boards from getting in any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Zapp I agree with your point per se but I think there's a bigger picture in that over-zealous thread locking could quite easily turn people off setting up interesting threads or even coming to Boards in the first place - basically it could be bad for business. So its defo something that shouldn't be looked at lightly from Boards' point of view and yourself. Its constructive critisism. Its in everyone's interest to find a balance thats all.

I would suggest more stern warnings and less foul swoops! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Then what are you doing here?

Surely if these other sites are better, you should be there?

I dont understand why people complain bitterly that this isnt the experience they want, and yet still hang around complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A mate of mine got locked in the unmentionable recently. The nice door staff helped him out though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

but I think there's a bigger picture in that over-zealous thread locking could quite easily turn people off setting up interesting threads
    Like the one he just locked? "Interesting" threads about the banned subject? And how is this bad?
    I would suggest more stern warnings and less foul swoops! :)
    We've tried to ban every muppet that brings it up, but at this stage, we've found that it's more effective to just lock the thread.

This message is sponsored by our reptilian overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Syco, the thread was clearly NOT 'about the banned subject' - the mod in question has said that the thread was coming too close for comfort to banned subjects which he claimed warranted it to be locked - which is a million miles away from the black and white scenario you and some others are trying to paint.

I honestly don't think it will be more effective for Boards to just do blanket thread-locking. My point is that its in Boards' interest form a business perspective to be vigilant about this stuff but not as disciplinarian as some mods seem to be or else people will lose interest and not return if they feel like there's no point in posting. We're not trying to demonise the mods here, its constructive critisism...and it is the feedback area after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

When a topic is gravitating towards the unmentionable (which this one was always gonna go to, seeing as how discussion had moved on to ticket prices to make up for album sales) I see no problem in locking it. Saves boards from getting in any trouble.

I have to admit, you probably shouldnt lock a thread unless it warrants locking.
    Unless you have the power of foresight, which you dont :) Id suggest leaving things open until something actually happens.
    And then Id just delete the post.
    Its much easier, and it doesnt piss off people half as much as blanket locking threads.
    And then everyone is happy, and we all roll around in our special underwear, and....

I'm not wearing any special underwear, a hooker stoled it.

While I take your point, I have no problem personally with erring on the side of caution, once that caution is reasonable.

A post was reported the other day, which may have been of a certain event promoted by a certain body, hard to say tbh.

While I fully supported the report being made (as I always do), I suggested that the image not be removed, as it was merely a generic image of a guy with a guitar (well taken, mind you).

It remained, and to my mind, that was a reasonable moderating decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

This post set the tone for this one, which imho would unacceptable given the current situation. There's nothing concrete calling a certain company "exploitative c*nts", but the link is too strong to be allowed imho. I often criticise mods on this forum, but I think that's a good call by Zapp.

As the Churchill dog might say, "Ooooohhh Yes!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Neither of those posts solidly reference anything - I can maybe understand the first one being construed, the second one is an honest question with no connection to either company or country.

Knickers, twist to be honest. I'm all for upholding the ban on said company, but this one was way too far.

Interesting thread btw.

Advertisement