Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-zealous thread locking?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

çrash_000 wrote: »
    Neither of those posts solidly reference anything
    It's in reference to the ticket prices of the upcoming Radiohead gig, which at over €70 are widely accepted to be extremely expensive.

You get overly expensive tickets and add talk of whether bands check to see if promoters are "exploitative" and you have a link which is very close to obvious. You don't have to explicitly state something for it to be libel. The case that's most obvious to me at this moment in time in this regard is a newspaper being successfully sued for suggesting a snooker table "told lies"; the comments had (imho) veered too close to "telling lies" for safety's liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

actually, its in reference to ticket prices of the upcoming radiohead tour. context of the discussion is interesting isn't it? no one specifically references country or promoter, or even prices of specific gigs.

actually, its in reference to ticket prices of the upcoming radiohead tour.
    Which includes....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ah I see - so not only are we now banning events run by said promoter, we're also now banning unconnected events under the umbrella of the whole tour, thanks to the connection?

logical. And where did this idea come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

It does seem a tad over-zealous - are we to take it that discussions of (certain types of issues) are banned in their entirety then, in all forms, whether in reference to the unmentionables, this country, etc. or not, just "in case" it might veer to other stuff or be construed as meaning X or Y?

• Advertisement

Ah I see - so not only are we now banning events run by said promoter, we're also now banning unconnected events under the umbrella of the whole tour, thanks to the connection?

logical. And where did this idea come from?

Interesting that you think that ending discussion of Radiohead gigs, including those priced at €75 (see final post before Zapp's) when the price is 40% lower in Germany for instance, on an Irish discussion forum known for its dislike of a promoter of gigs, using the term "exploitative c*nts" in relation to promoters of gigs, is the "banning [of] unconnected events."

You're right: context is important. In what context would people be likely to refer to ticket prices as exploitative, €45 or €75?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

well its defo a tricky one which must be taken on case-by-case basis which is why I dont offer a black and white opinion and why I think vigilant and tactical modding is the only solution for the good of Boards going forward. (I sound like David Brent or something..too much time in boardrooms...not as a member of a board mind you...anyways...). I also acknowledge the fact that boards members can be flippant about what is probably a difficult position for the mods given the pressure to please above and below as it were. But its good to see some healthy debate about it - that alone will help things for the better I think.

why not re-open the thread and anyone who mentions said event gets whipped in public? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don't think the thread will be re-opened. There was mention of a 75 euro ticket fee, which can only be reffering to one thing. Thread stays closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I wasnt really expecting that but it was worth a try...

well you know what they say about bad publicity Zapp! You don't get away with 'owt around here

Advertisement