Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4-5k to spend on car

Options
  • 30-12-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

I should have around 4-5k to spend. Any recommendations? Previously drive a 306. Open to similar size cars again, however I am also intereted in an A4. A 99 A4 seems to be in my price range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You won't get much of an A4 for that money, tbh. Saloon cars in general are great value but the A4 is always more than it's cousins.

Octavia? (you knew it was a matter of time:rolleyes:). It does make a lot of sense for OPs budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

mmm not sure about the Octavia!

There are Golfs in my range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

get a 1.6 ford focus ghia..... its a great drive, and quick and nippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

An MR2 turbo?

Focus ftw

What do people think of buying an 8 year old Ford? JHMEG, not sure Id be interested in an MR2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Practically anything with a VW badge on it is a good sound investment...

Yeah if I can find a nice Golf in my range its a shu'in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

You could get a nice celica for that cash...

Insurance on a celica would be expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Insurance on a celica would be expensive?

No really, depends on your insurer, age, no claims etc..

I am currently insured on a Corolla 1.3L and to get insured on a 1.8 celica is only an extra 200 euro per year (im with Quinn). If i wasnt leaving Ireland next year i would be driving a celica right now.. (corolla is easier to sell on).

• Advertisement

A friend of mine does a lot of work with celicas and he loves them. But theres something not right imo on spending that much on a older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

MK4 VW Golf 1.4 - they are renowned for burning oil, and needing an engine transplant pre-100K miles. My mate has one at the minute, a 1999 and he's always having to put oil in it. My brother also had a 1999 model in 02/03 and when he brought it back to the dealers after 8/9 months of oil consumption geting worse and worse, he was told it was in need of a new engine, and they would go halves with him on it.

Either get a 1.6 or have a look at A3's or Leon's with the 1.6 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You would pick up a 98/99 A4 for that sort of money if you look around, things you'd want to look out for are the timing belt and suspension bushings, but other than that they are a great car especially the 1.9 diesels, they are the best looking cars for their time, i think. With 2008 just around the corner no one will want a 10 year old car:rolleyes::rolleyes:, so there should be some good deals to be had with 98 cars.

Seperate wrote: »
    MK4 VW Golf 1.4 - they are renowned for burning oil

I would regard myself as a VW fan but I must say that there have been more than a few threads here about problems with mkIV golfs. Base models are very disappointing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A4s of that era are infamous for front suspension problems, and problems with wheel bearings. Not to mention the longitudinal engine in a FWD car leads me to believe the Audi engineers are continually smoking crack.

VW are not exactly the most reliable either, but oddly enough Skoda seem to be much better. You'd probably get an Octavia for the money? Or maybe a Seat Leon?

JHMEG wrote: »
    A4s of that era are infamous for front suspension problems, and problems with wheel bearings. Not to mention the longitudinal engine in a FWD car leads me to believe the Audi engineers are continually smoking crackQUOTE]

Yup, them control arms need calcium. They're not that expensive, really. It's just a nuisance. Never heard of bearing problems. A4 quattro is a nicely balanced car.

Thats the first time Ive heard criticism of a Golf! Hadnt thought about the Leon, will check the prices. Thanks for all the feedback.

Opinions on a rover 200?

Opel Astra?

Opinions on a rover 200?

Rover from what I hear is a headgasket certainty. I know of at least 3. They weren't much to write home about anyway. Scrapyards are calling for those IMO

Astra is a far cry from the A4 you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thats the first time Ive heard criticism of a Golf! Hadnt thought about the Leon, will check the prices. Thanks for all the feedback.

The Golf is overrated, especially the MkIV which is nowhere near as reliable as VW claim it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cantdecide wrote: »
    Rover from what I hear is a headgasket certainty. I know of at least 3. They weren't much to write home about anyway. Scrapyards are calling for those IMO

Rovers like Alfa Romeo need plenty of TLC. The problem with the headgasket is down to a poorly designed coolant tank in the K Series engine which is very prone to leaks. If the fluids are checked and topped up vigerously then you can experience very little issues with the engine itself. Other than that the K Series engine was quite energetic especially the 1.4 litre which had 102bhp when it was introduced back around 1990. VAG still sell a 1.6 litre with only a similar power output today across their range including Audi.

However if the OP is not one who is willing to check things regularly under the bonnet then cars like an Alfa Romeo and Rover should probably not be considered imo.

cantdecide wrote: »

Astra is a far cry from the A4 you wanted.

Im just looking at all options in my price range. I would like an A4 and I have seen them in my the range provided but Im also interested in other cars. It doesnt have to be as large as the A4.

Right now my list is:

- A4
    - Golf
    - Astra

Im just looking at all options in my price range. I would like an A4 and I have seen them in my the range provided but Im also interested in other cars. It doesnt have to be as large as the A4.

Right now my list is:

- A4
    - Golf
    - Astra

A4 isn't a large car really.

This is larger but it's a steal as far as I can see. http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=40231&cat=2

bazz26 wrote: »
    Rovers like Alfa Romeo need plenty of TLC

I have no beef with a car that needs a little minding but alfas are beautiful and i wouldn't rate smaller rovers in terms of desirability.

I like Alfa's too but the impression I have of them is trouble. There seems to be good deals ,at first sight, to be had with the A4,e.g.:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=798650

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

- A4
    - Golf
    - Astra

Been driving an Astra myself now for over a year, 01... thinking of trading it in for a slightly older A4 myself. The astra is a very bland car though maybe thats just me being stuck in it for a year saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

One of these? you could do worse its still a VW.

raysFabBlu983.jpg

I like Alfa's too but the impression I have of them is trouble. There seems to be good deals ,at first sight, to be had with the A4,e.g.:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=798650

wrong link!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 grantk2

I should have around 4-5k to spend. Any recommendations? Previously drive a 306. Open to similar size cars again, however I am also intereted in an A4. A 99 A4 seems to be in my price range.

OP just wondering how you found your 306? any problems? would you recommend one?

Advertisement