Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions For DreamCast...

Options
  • 30-12-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I've got a Dreamcast sitting in my cupboard doing nothing! Anyone any suggestions for some interesting mods for it? It's a US version (red swirl), I've two controllers, one VMU and the DC modem. I think I may also have a VGA box for it somewhere, but I'm not certain...

I'm up for trying anything really. Perhaps a MAME box? Or putting a version of Linux on it and doing something interesting with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Folex wrote: »
    I've got a Dreamcast sitting in my cupboard doing nothing! Anyone any suggestions ... I'm up for trying anything really...

I'd suggest playing some games on it.

The Dreamcast had some really sweet games for it, and since its the American one you have you can get them for half nothing on the US eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

a5y wrote: »
    I'd suggest playing some games on it.

The Dreamcast had some really sweet games for it, and since its the American one you have you can get them for half nothing on the US eBay.

Cheers for the reply, a5y. Any suggestions for what games in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

yeah the dreamcast was a hell of a machine,i think the market just failed its triumph although it did have a good spell for some time!

I'd say get:

Shenmue 1
    Shenmue 2
    Power Stone 1 and 2
    Sonic Adventures
    Revolt
    Soul Caliber (**** ****in yeah!!Dreamcast version owns all others imo)

Sure there's **** loads of other great games,look up a wiki or somethin! ^^

Cheers for the reply, a5y.

You're a poet, and you know it! :D
    Any suggestions for what games in particular?

Hmm.

Ok, first, check out Bleemcast - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleemcast%21 which allows playing playstation 1 games on a the Dreamcast (admitably this is a case of enjoying the journey as opposed to needed to get to the destination). According the WP article Bleem requires 1 dedicated VMU, so you may want to pass if you can't be bothered with that.

Also, weird games that really are different from anything else before or since (if I'm wrong I'd appreciate the correction, if anyone begs to differ)

- Chu Chu Rocket
    - Crazy Taxi
    - Jet Grind Radio / Jet Set Radio
    - Puyo Pop Fever

Finally, according to wikipedia, the Sega Dreamcast has had a limited rerelease by Sega - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Dreamcast#The_return_of_the_Dreamcast

Seems its not quite dead yet.

In the even you can't resist taking a power tool to it though, do yourself a favour and check out BenHeck.com, probably the single most inspiring console modding site around. The guy is probably the best console modder alive, he's made xBox360 laptops and all sorts of insane stuff.

Oh, and Space Channel 5. Which was weird even before it had Michael Jackson in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

great great console and if you have any PAL games, its easy to play them with a boot disc.
    jet set radio
    Shenmue 1 and 2
    Phanstasy Star online(if you could be bothered going online)
    sonic adventure 1 and 2, the best of the 3d Sonics.
    street fighter 3 if you can find it
    Ikaruga
    Daytona
    outrigger, Quake3 arena
    emulators, Homebrew etc

Advertisement