Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on Using Old parts in New Computer.

Options
  • 30-12-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

ok folks a few noob questions here :)

I have bought a new Dell Inspiron 531 with Vista. 2Gigs of Ram 2 X 250 Gig Hard drives. Both SATA

As i was waiting for delivery of the above system my old machine (a Dell Dimension 5000) got zapped by lightning :( It wont power up at all. Im guessing the Motherboard and or PSU got killed.
    Now rather than bringing it to be tested and it costing me money and more importantly time could i try the following? The old Computer has XP Home edition on it
    1) take out one of the new computers hard drives and replace it with the old drive. This would show if the Hard drive is still usable. Its a 160 Gig SATA drive
    2) Take out the RAM from old machine and test it in New computer. Its 2 X 512 Megs. New RAM is 800 Mhz old is 633 as far as i can remember.

Could this work? Is there anything i should check out or be extra careful of?
    Thanks for help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You shouldn't have to remove any HDs to plug the old one into the new machine unless Dell are being really scabby and only providing the bare minimum number of SATA ports on the motherboard. You most likely won't be able to boot off the old HD in the new PC as XP home will be expecting completely different hardware, but you should be able to pull files off it from within Vista. Don't waste your time with the RAM. If it is compatible (i.e. is it DDR or DDR2? The new machine will have DDR2) it will just slow down the new RAM as it will all have to run at the lowest common speed. Given that memory is utterly dirt cheap now, you could just get some suitable RAM for peanuts. That is also providing that Dell left you with some free memory slots!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I think your first move should be to get a good quality surge protector for the new rig?

If the old rig was hit by lightning then there's a good chance that the PSU & modem card (If you had one installed) are fried. If that's all that got nailed you would be as well to get a cheap power supply & try it in the old rig.

Don't tempt fate with the new one or you could end up with two sad rigs.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement