Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle-Should i get one?

Options
  • 30-12-2007 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

hey all,

i was reading on a previous thread that an air rifle is the best thing to

start off a new shooter with. i was just wondering if you could impart some

of your wisdom into this thread and tell me how you would go about getting

one. is it easier to licence than a .22lr?

total newbie!( never fired a gun) so please be patient lads!

plus im only 16 so would a super give a licence or what.

just thought id ask the experts

thanks

:cool::cool::cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Well, if your looking to get into shooting, welcome! It's a great sport and tons of fun.

Your right about that, an air rifle is easier to get than a .22LR. Thats said, my first rifle was a .22LR and I got it in two weeks. A .22LR is not difficult to get if you have the land and a club membership. It's a great gun, but a little on the powerful side for a total newbie.

That aside, the old air gun is a good starting point for developing your skills: breath control, proper handling, and above all, SAFETY. Go for it, all they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

thanks can anyone tell me what would a super look for in regards-

accomadation?

do i need an alarm?

do i need to be a member of a club?etc.

plus anything else you could add that i might need.

thanks

For an air rifle they wouldn't be too strict on the alarm/guns safe rule me thinks. What part of the country you in? PS what do you intend using it for?

For an air rifle they wouldn't be too strict on the alarm/guns safe rule me thinks. What part of the country you in? PS what do you intend using it for?

wicklow, bray

so i could leave it in a gunslip in the house?

im not too sure about what id use it for im just seeing if it would be viable to

have one. they cant be used for wildlife right?

what would you recommend to use it for?

would i need to be a member of a club?

please lads help a guy out!

The only real chance of getting one is for target work, which is reasonable enough. Wicklow is good gun country, maybe not Bray, but the countryside anyway! Join a club for sure, I'm not from anywhere near wicklow so don't ask me about them, I'm sure there are others on here who could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

some can be used for rabbits.
    the sup will probably grill you regarded of what rifle you choose to go for be it 22lr or air rifle, just be prepared to answer the questions he/she might ask like the main one,"what do you want that for?" or have you any experience?
    Regarding home security, gun safes still arent a must but more common sense and would look good to the sup, House alarms, well i dont know many who dont have them but it dosnt have to be a monitered one.
    i started off with a 22lr but had already odtained a shotgun licence so not many questions asked. i used to love shooting with it, rabbits mainly and targets here and there.
    The only problem you maght have is your age. so my advice to you is join a rifle club and get a taste for it, learn valuable firearm safety and how to shoot properly in a controlled inviornment, then aproach you super with membership to the club and i dont think you will have a problem getting the rifle thats right for you.
    good luck A

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

An air rifle is certainly an excellent choice to learn target shooting with (and remains challanging to levels higher than most would believe); but by far the better option is not to buy a firearm at all first, but join a local club instead.

If air rifle is what you're thinking of and you're in Bray, your best option is the Rathdrum club; easy to get to from Bray as well, hop on the train in Bray and hop off in Rathdrum. They have air rifle lanes set up, club firearms to use and can show you both air rifle and .22lr when you're ready. PM rrpc on here to find out more.

grand lads thanks very much

Advertisement