Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Influx of 320d after new VRT

Options
  • 30-12-2007 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have been thinking back and forth on getting a 02 bmw 320d for the last while and after the budget Im guessing its best to wait til after new VRT rate hits in June.

Do you think there will be a huge influx of imported 320d's after June and theres no point in buying one til then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i reckon your right here,

the thing to do thou would be to buy an English 320 in June and then register it after the July date, some audi's have low ratings aswell, there is an A£ with a low score, i found a website that rated the top performing diesels for co2,

the 150 car tax rate is really positive,

P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

gally74 wrote: »
    the thing to do thou would be to buy an English 320 in June and then register it after the July date
    Your supposed to pay the VRT within 24 hours of importing the car....

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

what is the vrt on a 02 320d coupe likely to be after july i was considering changing my 318ci for a diesel anyway so would be interested to hear what the vrt will be, is it also correct that tax will be 150 for the year after july for imported 320d's or will they remain to be taxed under the normal 2.0L rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The super green 320d with emissions of 131 g/km and €150 road tax is only for the 08 model year with BMW's new EfficientDynamics. The older ones polluted around 150-160 g/km IIRC and would be in the 20% VRT category and cost €290 or €430 to tax depending on what the exact CO2 rating was.

A 320d could be trouble is it was built between 2002-2004(I think those were the years), make sure if you do go for one that it has had it's turbo replaced because those cars are notorious for blowing turbos. I think you should have a look at one of 6 cylinder 3 series from the UK anyway(320i, 325i, 330i, 330d), but in the case of the petrols, be sure it's registered before July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

E92 wrote: »
    The super green 320d with emissions of 131 g/km and €150 road tax is only for the 08 model year with BMW's new EfficientDynamics. The older ones polluted around 150-160 g/km IIRC and would be in the 20% VRT category and cost €290 or €430 to tax depending on what the exact CO2 rating was.

A 320d could be trouble is it was built between 2002-2004(I think those were the years), make sure if you do go for one that it has had it's turbo replaced because those cars are notorious for blowing turbos. I think you should have a look at one of 6 cylinder 3 series from the UK anyway(320i, 325i, 330i, 330d), but in the case of the petrols, be sure it's registered before July.

I agree with regard to the turbo. My 2002 320d has it's whole engine and turbo replaced in 2004, wouldn't have bought it with a 2002 engine/turbo

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I agree with regard to the turbo. My 2002 320d has it's whole engine and turbo replaced in 2004, wouldn't have bought it with a 2002 engine/turbo

Crikey! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Crikey! :eek:

WEll understand that all we hear on internet forums is the BAD things on a car. So let's say I know of 100 cases of turbo failure on UK 320d's ... Now, for those 100 failures, how many thousands success stories are out there?

I just did the research and decided that I wasn't going to risk a 2002 car, but couldnt afford anything newer. By chance the car I own now has had a full engine/turbo replacement in 2004 under warranty by BMW (Have the paperwork to prove it)

Advertisement