Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish and Chips

• 30-12-2007 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

Why are fish and chips so bad in Dublin, I have yet to have a good one. Fish is normally covered in batter,little in the way of fish, and the batter is horrible. As for the Chips, yuck. London and North of England,that is a different story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

other way im thinkin!! much prefer over here's fish n chips! have to say i had the nicest one in my entire time sampling 'em last night!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH, I've yet to find a chipper that is of the standard I was used to in Cork. The chippers around Dublin are all pretty much the same with nothing much to distinguish them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Beshoff bros in clontarf and howth are very good and Burdocks in christchurch is usually good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

Beshoff bros in clontarf and howth are very good and Burdocks in christchurch is usually good.

+1. Angelos on Camden Street is nice aswel.

Sorry Wexford Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Not only are they of poor quality here the price is ascam too.
    I had curry chips and smoke cod 2weeks ago 11euro funk that ripoff.
    After finishing my fine greasy meal i felt ill and wanted to make myself sick no more dublin chipper for me.
    But Burdochs on christchurch is yummy.
    Its also called fresh cod fresh me hole its lying there in batter for god knows how long and then reheated in hot oil.
    If it was fresh it wouldbe a fillet dipped in batter and cooked in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Borza's in Walkinstown................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Burdock's is good, as is San Marino's in Windy Arbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Toni's in Inchicore. Got a crackin one'n'one there the other evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Not only are they of poor quality here the price is ascam too.
    I had curry chips and smoke cod 2weeks ago 11euro funk that ripoff.
    After finishing my fine greasy meal i felt ill and wanted to make myself sick no more dublin chipper for me.
    But Burdochs on christchurch is yummy.
    Its also called fresh cod fresh me hole its lying there in batter for god knows how long and then reheated in hot oil.
    If it was fresh it wouldbe a fillet dipped in batter and cooked in front of you.

That is what happens to be, I'll have a cod and chips and then will feel so bloated after,as you said lots of chippers here tend to have the fish in batter for ages.

Remember a place in Earls court in London,High Tide I think it was called, they would have the cod, dip it in batter in front of you,quality, and the chips were tops also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

enner43 wrote: »
    +1. Angelos on Camden Street is nice aswel.

Have to disagree there, there's a weird taste from their chips.

Does anyone know a chipper in Dublin that uses beef dripping to fry their chips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

+1 Beshoff Bros next to Baggot St bridge are lovely aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

McDonaghs in Galway
    The place is famous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The problem with fish and chips here is that the overall standard is so shíte that the average person given a half-reasonable meal will think it is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Beshoff's in Christchurch is pretty good alright. Although it's odd to start a thread saying that fish and chips are much nicer in England. I've had a fair share of chippys in England and Ireland and they're all the same, greasy crap no matter where you go. Some slightly better than others (Beshoff's being a pretty good example) but never exactly haute cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Laslo wrote: »
    Although it's odd to start a thread saying that fish and chips are much nicer in England. I've had a fair share of chippys in England and Ireland and they're all the same, greasy crap no matter where you go. Some slightly better than others (Beshoff's being a pretty good example) but never exactly haute cuisine.

Why odd?, I suppose it comes down to ones own experience,and mine is that England comes out on top,that is not to say that they are all good.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

micmclo wrote: »
    McDonaghs in Galway
    The place is famous!

Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Laslo wrote: »
    Beshoff's in Christchurch is pretty good alright. Although it's odd to start a thread saying that fish and chips are much nicer in England. I've had a fair share of chippys in England and Ireland and they're all the same, greasy crap no matter where you go. Some slightly better than others (Beshoff's being a pretty good example) but never exactly haute cuisine.
    That's Leo Burdocks in christchurch. All Beshoffs in town are very bad. Beshoff's Bro in Howth is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chargle

The reason chippers are so bad in dublin is because no-one cares about the ingredients involved. You have to start off with good potatoes and good fish, then they should be cooked in dripping or lard. But very, and i mean very few chippers use those fats now because oil is sooo cheap and manageable. The chips should also be double fried, once in a lower heat to cook them through, and the second to make them crispy.

The Sea Shell beside the Wind Jammer pub was a perfect example. They used king edwards or golden wonders for their chips and had a selection of market fresh fish (aswell as frozen), and they fried in lard. The chips tasted like little roast potatoes, absolutely amazing.

But of course, it was shut down. Typical!

As far as I know, Roma II is the only chipper that uses beef dripping and another place on james st. is the only chipper in Dublin that pays premium price for market fresh fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

dudara wrote: »
    Have to disagree there, there's a weird taste from their chips.

Does anyone know a chipper in Dublin that uses beef dripping to fry their chips?
    Pizza Perfection in Artane is the only one as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Chargle wrote: »

As far as I know, Roma II is the only chipper that uses beef dripping .

Pity its staff have taken to overcharging people who are drunk. Seen it happen twice in a week before Christmas, had a go at the staff (two new Russian guys) about the way they were blatantly overcharging one guy (I was sober) and refuse to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Joe's (Little Chip Inn) in Rush and Beshoff's in Christchurch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

After reading this thread, I've decided I must have chipper for my dinner and screw the new year healthy eating. I lasted 9 days, that's pretty good!
    Borza's in Dalkey is a great chipper. I don't eat fish though so I can't comment but the chips are lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

watna wrote: »
    After reading this thread, I've decided I must have chipper for my dinner and screw the new year healthy eating. I lasted 9 days, that's pretty good!
    Borza's in Dalkey is a great chipper. I don't eat fish though so I can't comment but the chips are lovely!

Will have to check them out so.

The Ritz in Dunlaoghaire used to have fantastic chips, but sadly they are not even good anymore. Now I don't think there's any chipper there with good chips in DL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Beelzebub wrote: »
    Will have to check them out so.

The Ritz in Dunlaoghaire used to have fantastic chips. Now I don't think there's anyone chippers there with good chips.

Yeah, The Ritz was great but I haven't been in years. There was another cafe along the main street that used to be nice, can't remember the name. Chips were really crispy and fresh. I think it's owned by the same people as Borza's in Dalkey, i know they own one on Dun Laoghaire. It'll come to me later I'm sure!

I'm salivating at the thought of crispy, salty chips now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fusco's on Meath St is quality.

By the way as someone has already mentioned Beshoff's is not on Christchurch, Burdock's is.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,321 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

watna wrote: »
    There was another cafe along the main street that used to be nice, can't remember the name. Chips were really crispy and fresh. I think it's owned by the same people as Borza's in Dalkey, i know they own one on Dun Laoghaire. It'll come to me later I'm sure!

The Miami?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bluebluesky

Right a prize for anyone who can give me the all time TOP 5 chippers in Dublin - Southside only!!!

Blue

:o

Advertisement