Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver Courtesy

Options
  • 30-12-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

is it just me or have drivers become even more selfish in the past year, what i find especially in cork city is that people will refuse to let you pull out even if they have no where to go e.g traffic lights. It completely freaks me out, i will let people out no problem but wouldnt let 5 people go as i think it is just pissing the people off behind me but i would normally let 1 or 2 go on average.

Rant over!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

Tony255 wrote: »
    is it just me or have drivers become even more selfish in the past year, what i find especially in cork city is that people will refuse to let you pull out even if they have no where to go e.g traffic lights. It completely freaks me out, i will let people out no problem but wouldnt let 5 people go as i think it is just pissing the people off behind me but i would normally let 1 or 2 go on average.

Rant over!!!
    If you cant beet them Join them. Try living in Dublin,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I used to have no problem letting people out, but in recent times I am more reluctant. It infuriates me when you let some one out and they dont even acknowledge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Willstev wrote: »
    It infuriates me when you let some one out and they dont even acknowledge you.

i feel my face getting red when that happens :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Actually one time I waved for someone to come out, so I gave them a wave as you do, then they waved back and gave me the finger. Infuriated was not the word, some people have issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

i feel my face getting red when that happens :mad:

Best thing to do is laugh at them - really annoys them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Willstev wrote: »
    It infuriates me when you let some one out and they don't even acknowledge you.
    Doesn't bother me at all, to be honest. I usually do acknowledge people who let me out, but sometimes I'm concentrating more on the traffic around me and forget. It's no big deal. If I let someone out myself, I do it because it'll help the general traffic flow, not because I crave some kind of warm, fuzzy feeling inside for having done a good deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I love letting busses pull out, that infuriates car drivers so much.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I hate to say it, but I find its mostly the mothers on the school run in their big people carriers. Drives me simple

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I generallly prefer not to let people out in front of me due to numerous experiences of getting stuck behind a few Tina ten miles an hour types after doing so. I do very often let people cross me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

ninty9er wrote: »
    I generallly prefer not to let people out in front of me due to numerous experiences of getting stuck behind a few Tina ten miles an hour types after doing so. I do very often let people cross me though.

And do you expect people to let YOU out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I usually let a couple of cars out if I can. The worst thing is when i let a few people out and then the driver behind me is pissed off so tailgates me.

I always acknowledge when people let me out as would expect the same.

My pet hate at the moment is when im going down the road (a particular one nearby) and there is a generous hard shoulder and single lane> I stay in the lane and ive got the odd person who tries to undertake on the hard shoulder. Bear in mind i am doing the speed limit of 60k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

chris85 wrote: »
    I usually let a couple of cars out if I can. The worst thing is when i let a few people out and then the driver behind me is pissed off so tailgates me.

I always acknowledge when people let me out as would expect the same.

My pet hate at the moment is when im going down the road (a particular one nearby) and there is a generous hard shoulder and single lane> I stay in the lane and ive got the odd person who tries to undertake on the hard shoulder. Bear in mind i am doing the speed limit of 60k.

Drive faster and this wont happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Orange69 wrote: »

Doing the speed limit and to be honest i wont break the speed limit in a spot where the guards are always checking.

Why should i break the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Are you joking?

The first thing my driving instructor told me when I was getting ready for a test is not give a **** about the tailgaters and never let them control me and influence my speed.

And don't think you'll get a tailgater off with speeding, those ******** chase you, and the faster you go, they go too.

Back to the topic, yes, I was thinking about this couple of days ago, and seeing this thread just proved that I'm not alone in thinking this, nobody lets you out these days, or gives you way, absolute selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Know how you ffeel. I got stuck once behind a Minister for Finance who was double-parked outside a bank for ages. I stayed quiet though, as I heard he doesn't like people who cross him.

Not your ornery onager

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Are you joking?

Kind of..

When i started driving i used to think like that, stick to the limit and dont take any notice of anyone behind you etc.. But after a couple of years on the road the principles of progress and flow become quite important to you.. There is nothing more annoying than being stuck behind person after person who sticks at or below the limit when the road is clear and they could be safely traveling 20kmph+ their current speed..

I have to admit that i never stick to the speed limit, i base my speed on what i consider safe for the current conditions.. and i have never been in an accident..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

There is nothing more annoying than being stuck behind person after person who sticks at or below the limit when the road is clear and they could be safely traveling 20kmph+ their current speed..

Well, if the road is clear, why not overtake him?

Plus, garda started being very tricky nowadays. A friend of mine was doing 80Km/h on Naas, the road was clear....... he got points.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Well, if the road is clear, why not overtake him?

I would consider overtaking dangerous so i try to avoid it.. Usually i just stick behind them fuming or take an alternate route when the chance arises...

I knew a guy who was killed when overtaking another car..

i was talking to one of my friends from sweden recently as he was over here for a few weeks and he was talking about the irish attitude to hazzard lights they seem to think that by putting them on they can park wherever they want. It is so true and i have noticed it more since he said it, people just put them on wherever they want and jump out of the car and couldnt care less about the line of traffic building up behind them.

as a rule of thumb i never let myself be pressured into speeding up by the driver behind me, if i am doing the max speed limit then he can sit behind me but if there is room i will always move in as my driving instructor used to say its better to have a bad driver in front of you speeding away than behind you trying to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I generallly prefer not to let people out in front of me due to numerous experiences of getting stuck behind a few Tina ten miles an hour types after doing so.

i know what you mean. it has happened to me a few times when i let out a person that held me up big time by going really slow. some gratitude :rolleyes:.

i usually let people out as much as i can in the city though because they really cant impede my progress much in busy traffic anyway.

most ppl will acknowledge that you did but every now and again you get an ignorant one that doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

jimbo78 wrote: »
    And do you expect people to let YOU out?

I don't EXPECT anything of other road users....and usually I get proven right in not expecting anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

i agree people cant drive these days..... im livin in waterford and lived in limerick and ppl dont seem to be able to use roundabouts, and the amount of time ppl ahev been tailgating me is unreal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

miss enzo wrote: »
    ppl dont seem to be able to use roundabouts,

i totally agree. i used to drive through 3 roundabouts while in a previous job and the amount of times people nearly hit me by changing lanes without looking to see if there was anyone beside me was frightening.

even as bad as going from the far left of 3 lanes on the approach to the roundabout to the far right of 3 lanes on the roudabout and back to the left lane of the dual carriageway straight ahead. cut the place to bits.

i even had one a-hole blow the horn at me because he felt i was in the wrong :mad: even though the far right lane must go right but he figured that out too late. then at the last minute he nearly clipped me while changing lanes to go straight on and even though i was in the same lane i started in, somehow it was my fault :rolleyes:. idiot.

i usually try and keep at least neck and neck with cars on the right side on roundabouts now so they will see im there and i have in the past made a few of these idiots go around again by cutting them off when they tried to do this to me. they might figure out which lane is the correct one next time around :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭positron

I agree, road manners seems to be degrading here in Dublin.

Yesterday an ignoramus in a Merc SUV honked at me and seconds later flashed and over took me on the narrow Balgriffin/mayne road (R123, just after the cemetery), presumably for staying two car lengths behind the car in front of me!

The fact is, I am just back in the country after three weeks of holidays in India, where I drove nearly 2000 kms playing chicken and Russian roulette with trucks, interstate buses doing 100kph on what I can only describe as 'virtual' roads, most of the trucks by suicidal maniacs who have been driving for days non-stop, dodging hoards of slow three wheelers, cows, cyclists, elephants, pedestrians, little 50cc mopeds with dozens of hens tied its handlebars, motorbikes with entire family of five on it....

Good thing the other half was in the car to remind me that I am now back in Dublin..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Anyone driven around Mahon Point in Cork on a weekend?! NEVER again. There are two lanes leading up to the centre, one goes left into the B&Q and one goes right into the main shopping centre. People think they'll be 'smart' and go into the left hand lane that moves far quicker, get almost to the lights, then just veer into the right hand lane as people are starting to move around the corner, no indicators, no regard for anyone, nothing.

A woman with lots of children in the back did it yesterday - she put her car horizontally across the left hand lane until someone let her in (even though she'd done it on purpose to beat the queue because she'd been behind me in the right lane and shot off up the left one). As a car was coming along she just plonked her front bumper in front of it so they had to let her in.

I have to say it seems most people here (I live in NI) drive on the assumption that you think hitting them would be worse so they can pretty much do what they like, including weaving in and out of lanes and popping their hazards on and stopping in flowing traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

i was talking to one of my friends from sweden recently as he was over here for a few weeks and he was talking about the irish attitude to hazzard lights they seem to think that by putting them on they can park wherever they want. It is so true and i have noticed it more since he said it, people just put them on wherever they want and jump out of the car and couldnt care less about the line of traffic building up behind them.

as a rule of thumb i never let myself be pressured into speeding up by the driver behind me, if i am doing the max speed limit then he can sit behind me but if there is room i will always move in as my driving instructor used to say its better to have a bad driver in front of you speeding away than behind you trying to pass.

Your Swedish buddy is taking the mick, this happens all over Europe, especially with Taxis and people with cars dropping stuff off to local businesses or waiting for friends outside their house.

The amount of times i've been stuck behind a langer with his hazards on blocking a one way street !

Have seen this in Lille (France) Dusseldorf (Germany) Den Haag (Netherlands) Antwerp (Belgium) ... the list goes on!

Its not an Irish attitude at all, it happens everywhere.

Mahon point is a total balls, its very badly setup and you can see where the frustration comes from, you stick a massive shopping center with an inadeqate system to get into it and your looking for trouble!!

To the OP:
    You didn't have a D reg did you ? Alot of Cork people tend to be less likely to leave out a Dublin langer :) ... Although i'm not one of these, i believe Courtesy benefits the flow of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Anybody from Galway?! I was living down there early last year and was surprised at the courtesy displayed down there - the traffic goes so slow, that other road users seem to comprehend that it won't kill them to let you out.
    I had to drive from terryland over to gmit every morning and never found trouble crossing at junctions - even bmw drivers let me out!

Now that I'm back home, every day is a battle to get over town - I wish I was in peaceful, serene Galway!

craichoe wrote: »
    To the OP:
    You didn't have a D reg did you ? Alot of Cork people tend to be less likely to leave out a Dublin langer :) ... Although i'm not one of these, i believe Courtesy benefits the flow of traffic.

no its a C reg but it is a BMW and i definately find that people leave you out less depending on the car you drive, i seem to be tainted unfairly with the bmw sterotype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

no its a C reg but it is a BMW and i definately find that people leave you out less depending on the car you drive, i seem to be tainted unfairly with the bmw sterotype

in fairness tho alot of ppl conform to the stereotype of their car............ i mean look at merc drivers they never seem to use indicators.... its funy my dad bought a merc recently and i was behind him drivin one day, normally he'd always indicate, but in the merc he never does... its weird its like sort of merc curse or summit!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

miss enzo wrote: »
    i agree people cant drive these days..... im livin in waterford and lived in limerick and ppl dont seem to be able to use roundabouts, and the amount of time ppl ahev been tailgating me is unreal.....

Im a Waterford driver. Iv been stuck behind slow drivers who have a top speed of less then 50km/hr. Frustrating on a road with a limit of 80km/hr. Plenty of room to move in and let me over take, but drivers prefer to stick to the edge of the broken white line on the road then move in and let someone pass them out.

Waterford City & County have good roads, so plenty of room for you to move in if your being talgated. I always make it my business to move in - if someone wants to go faster then me, I will move in and let them. Iv seen the odd few who dont overtake, so iv just stopped the car and let them pass.

Back to the topic.. 9/10 ill let a driver move out in front of me and most them acknowledge. Iv seen drivers force there way out, and then drive really slow. That annoys me, and is a hazzard - the horn normally makes them move in or get to the speed limit.

Advertisement