Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver Courtesy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

Sully wrote: »
    Waterford City & County have good roads, so plenty of room for you to move in if your being talgated. I always make it my business to move in - if someone wants to go faster then me, I will move in and let them. Iv seen the odd few who dont overtake, so iv just stopped the car and let them pass.

why sold i have to move over if someone is performin an illegal maneover??? i drive at the speed limit on all roads (unless its my first time ont he road obv!) so if someone wants to sit on my h0le why shud let them but i sure as hell aint movin for em......... i brake for tailgaters! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Lots of stressed people posting in this thread.Ever thought about doing a driving anger management course? I rarely get stressed behind the wheel - life's too short. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

miss enzo wrote: »
    why sold i have to move over if someone is performin an illegal maneover??? i drive at the speed limit on all roads (unless its my first time ont he road obv!) so if someone wants to sit on my h0le why shud let them but i sure as hell aint movin for em......... i brake for tailgaters! :D
    Have you ever heard of whiplash, miss enzo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

SOmeone said that it infuriates them when people refuse to thank them for letting them out. It annoys me when people start flashing hazards, waving and what not thanking me for letting them out. Just move out, and drive on. There's no need to spend the whole day waving and thanking each other. The roads will be smoother if the guy who's just pulled out moves into second gear rather than flashing hazards.

I also dislike people who go out of their way to let people out when there's just no need to. Where the person letting someone out actually disrupts the whole flow of traffic when it's obvious the other person will get out in about 30 seconds anyway.

Dam you all! I'll drive how I want to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As in you'll do the speed limit and not pull over, but you will pullover if you're doing below the limit (where safe to pull in a bit)??

that's ridiculous. I do the limit, but I'd prefer to come across the gom in a ditch 20 mins later than have him in my driver's seat trying to overtake and having to pull in to avoid someone else.

Their licence, my life, I know which I'd prefer lost!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Now im questioning your driving ability! Honestly, let tailgaters pass you out. Its not that big of a deal to check your mirrors and move over so there is sufficent and safe room for the car behind to overtake. Its called courtesy - **** em if they want to go faster, just move in and let them be. Your making things worse by putting increasing stress on the driver behind who will not think rationaly and may overtake causing harm to him/herself and yourself.

Just pull in and let him slide past. Stress free for both. Its dangerous driving to tailgate and equaly dangerous to break suddenly just to scare the driver behind - he might swerve, hit a ditch and die. How would you like the family to find out you caused that? Alternatively, he could hit you a smack causing you to dart forward, hit a wall and die. All because you were to ignorant to move in and let him pass you out.

Most decent driving instructors will teach you this basic rule. Do what you do in a driving test, and I think you will see a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have to say that I am impressed which the amount of people that allow me out at junctions, so I do the same and 98% of the time I get a wave of appreciation or the hazard lights. In the USA they are very defiant and would rarely let anyone out or show appreciation if you let them out.

Most decent driving instructors will teach you this basic rule. Do what you do in a driving test, and I think you will see a fail.

well good job i passed my test 4 yrs ago and have a nice clean licence then isnt it!:p

i just dont like ignorant ppl sittin on my tail if they wanna overtake then let them but im not gonna pull in.....

not everyone will agree with me but if i had to pull in every time i was tail gated id spend more time in the hard shoulder than on the road.

i reckon its the car a drive tho cause it never seems to happen me in other cars just in the FTO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

well good job i passed my test 4 yrs ago and have a nice clean licence then isnt it!:p

Thats because you have yet to be reported. I'm sure if a guard observed what you do, you wouldn't have a clean license. And if you did it on my observation, id let the guards know people like you shouldn't be allowed have a license! No offence enzo, but that is very dangerous driving!

i just dont like ignorant ppl sittin on my tail if they wanna overtake then let them but im not gonna pull in.....

Why not though? What difference does it make? Your clearly hogging the road and going to slow for most drivers, so if you cant stick to their pace - move in and let them carry on.
    not everyone will agree with me but if i had to pull in every time i was tail gated id spend more time in the hard shoulder than on the road.

Further proves my point above.
    i reckon its the car a drive tho cause it never seems to happen me in other cars just in the FTO.

FTO?

Thats because you have yet to be reported. I'm sure if a guard observed what you do, you wouldn't have a clean license. And if you did it on my observation, id let the guards know people like you shouldn't be allowed have a license! No offence enzo, but that is very dangerous driving!
    Enzo has already stated she does the limit, so if that's not enough for most drivers, I think you'll find the Garda will be more interested in those people than her.

Why not though? What difference does it make? Your clearly hogging the road and going to slow for most drivers, so if you cant stick to their pace - move in and let them carry on.
    Any decent instructor will also tell you that when doing the limit you should not adjust your own driving for t1ts who drive up your ass. I have a friend who's likely to fail his test next week because he gets pushed up to 70 in 50 zones by some no good wan|<ers. I stick to about 55 on these roads.

Further proves my point above.
    ???
    FTO?
    What are you doing here!!;)

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Enzo has already stated she does the limit, so if that's not enough for most drivers, I think you'll find the Garda will be more interested in those people than her.

I drive around Waterford & County a fair bit and tailgating isn't that common. If its happening to the OP in Waterford a lot, I have this feeling that she's not sticking to the speed limit.

My point, if she decided to break suddenly to piss the driver off - that would be dangerous driving. There both in the wrong. I think the guards will agree that she should have moved in and reported him/her for tailgating. Best be safe then sorry.
    Any decent instructor will also tell you that when doing the limit you should not adjust your own driving for t1ts who drive up your ass. I have a friend who's likely to fail his test next week because he gets pushed up to 70 in 50 zones by some no good wan|<ers. I stick to about 55 on these roads.

They sure will say that along with "move in if safe to do so". I dont think they encourage this kind of driving: "Drive to the speed limit, **** the drivers behind you. Dont move in and if they tailgate you just break suddenly. That'll show em."
    What are you doing here!!;)

I'm not big into cars, but I like to talk about general driving and other car stuff. :P I'm probably one of the very few fellas that are not big into cars!

They sure will say that along with "move in if safe to do so". I dont think they encourage this kind of driving: "Drive to the speed limit, **** the drivers behind you. Dont move in and if they tailgate you just break suddenly. That'll show em."

Not in resedential areas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

My pet hate was before they changed the layout of the red cow roundabout......
    When you were travelling inbound and wanted to take the M50 southbound, road markings, and signosts clearly stated that the only lane for the m50 south was the far right, yet everytime I used it, w****rs in the centre lane used to decide thay wanted to take the M50 south too, therfore pushing in on top of the cars that were in the correct lane, usually beeping at them because as far as thay were concerned, they were in the right, and then also blocking city bound traffic.

Everyone just seems so aggressive on the roads today, especially in Dublin. As the OP said, driver coutesy has almost all but dissapeared.

I know I know, the above makes absolutely no sense to most people, but I've been dying to get it off my chest for sooooo long!

My other major, major pet hate is football mommy's parking in disabled parking spaces. It should be legal to slash their tyres in this case.

RANT OVER.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Not in resedential areas!!

Most of those areas dont have room. Besides, its not that common in estates cause traffic is always gonna be low there. :)

Sully an FTO is a make of car... a mitsubishi 2L v6 Mivec...... proven 197bhp and 147ft/lb torque..... im more than capable of drivin the speed limits and i do.

i dont "slam" on the breaks when im tailgated i usually left foot break so that im not actually slowin down but my breaklights are on, therefore the driver behind knows to stay back...

ALSO if i was to break suddenly and was to get rearended i would win in the case as the driver behind is at fault for not keepin to the 2 second rule! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ALSO if i was to break suddenly and was to get rearended i would win in the case as the driver behind is at fault for not keepin to the 2 second rule! :D

Well... I wouldn't be so sure... brake testing is illegal, and a second witness in the following car could possibly be the cause of you to loose a case in a situation like that.
    (And I'm not accusing you or anyone and not trying to feed the arguement, just making a general observation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Great, you won in court, but you contributed to an accident involving at least 2 cars at 60mph, I love your attitude. I have been in 2 crashes so far, neither were my fault and I have learned that 30mph hurts, alot, and then you have to report the accident to the gardai, fill in paperwork, get your car fixed, chase after insurance companies and generally a whole lot of trouble. If somebody hits me while they are overtaking a car and I am on my own side of the road, I will have been in the right but I'll also probably be dead. It just seems to me that when people get into cars they become angry at everybody else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Orange69 wrote: »
    I would consider overtaking dangerous so i try to avoid it.. Usually i just stick behind them fuming or take an alternate route when the chance arises...

I knew a guy who was killed when overtaking another car..

Did he have the same attitude to speeding as you do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

T Your clearly hogging the road and going to slow for most drivers,
    Please explain.

v., hogged, hog·ging, hogs.

v.tr.

1. Informal. To take more than one's share of:

250882 wrote: »
    Great, you won in court, but you contributed to an accident involving at least 2 cars at 60mph, I love your attitude. I have been in 2 crashes so far, neither were my fault and I have learned that 30mph hurts, alot, and then you have to report the accident to the gardai, fill in paperwork, get your car fixed, chase after insurance companies and generally a whole lot of trouble. If somebody hits me while they are overtaking a car and I am on my own side of the road, I will have been in the right but I'll also probably be dead. It just seems to me that when people get into cars they become angry at everybody else on the road.

was a passenger in a crash myself and yes i know it hurts..... i dont go round lookin to cause a crash.... hence why i left foot break and dont actually slow down..... all im sayin way IF i needed to stop and the guy behind crashed into me he wud be at fault for bein too close!

• Advertisement

all im sayin way IF i needed to stop and the guy behind crashed into me he wud be at fault for bein too close!

Again, I wouldn't be so sure about that. You still caused the accident, on purpose. You both could get in trouble.

Again, I wouldn't be so sure about that. You still caused the accident, on purpose. You both could get in trouble.

Read what she wrote...how could she possibly be at fault is she had to stop and some fu<king idiot tailgating at 100km/h hit her!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"Originally Posted by miss enzo
    why sold i have to move over if someone is performin an illegal maneover??? i drive at the speed limit on all roads (unless its my first time ont he road obv!) so if someone wants to sit on my h0le why shud let them but i sure as hell aint movin for em......... i brake for tailgaters!"

If you cause an accident doing this you will most likely get the book thrown at you. Note I highlighted "cause" i.e you don't have to be one of the affected parties in the resultant mess.

Its also an urban myth that a driver colliding with the rear of a car is automatically in the wrong. Take the case of a driver pulling out of a side road in front of oncoming traffic...

If you brake (even left foot...) You are asking for trouble... a Court could interpret this as you are aware that there is a vehicle close behind you, you see this as a threat (you are aware of the danger) by braking - or appearing to brake, you are "knowingly" increasing this danger... see where I'm going... i.e if you hadn't "braked" unnecessary, the hypothetical accident wouldn't have happened.

Not only could you end up liable for any damage, you could also be prosecuted for dangerous driving.

As an aside, I do share your pain. I was tailgated on a motorway tonight, they were so close I couldn't see their headlights in the rear view mirror... I was overtaking a line of traffic at 130kph at the time... did my overtaking and pulled in to let 'em on.

To the silver W reg Almera... you're a Tit.

I was NI over christmas and found people soooo much more courtoues, both on the road and face to face.
    It might well be time to emigrate.

Oilrig wrote: »
    Its also an urban myth that a driver colliding with the rear of a car is automatically in the wrong. Take the case of a driver pulling out of a side road in front of oncoming traffic...

that may be the case in that scenario yes but one where noone pulled out infront or neone the driver behind is at fault!!!

few yrs a go a mate of mind rearended a car when the driver in front slammed on the brakes (wasnt lookin at the cars ahead, was too busy talkin on the phone and eatin to notice they had stopped.) anyway she ran into him and then someone else ran into her and she got the blame for the first crash EVEN THOUGH ur man said he wasnt payin attention..... she was told she shud have been far enuf back to be able to stop. (the only reason she didnt stop quick enuf was cause she ws a L driver and paniced and hit brakes too late.) she had to pay off the rest of the finance on that car and buy her new one cause the old one was a write off.

unfair i know but i think it proves my point nicely!

i still thin that by left foot brakin ur doin the tailgater a favour.... ur givin them a chance to back off so that IF summit ws to happen they've a chance of stoppin b4 hittin the car in front!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Textspeak/babble
    Do us all a favour. Use proper English, not textsqueak.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement