Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTD's Episode Acronym

Options
  • 30-12-2007 8:18pm

Anyone got any ideas? RTD released the name of an episode he is to write and simply called it TUATW. An acronym for the episodes real title, perhaps because the episodes title would reveal a series plot element?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Utterly Awful Terrible Writer
    w. Russell T. Davies

The TARDIS lands the Doctor in what appears to be London in the 2008. However, it soon turns out that the Doctor and Donna are actually trapped in the Land of Fiction , now ruled over by a fat despot who is convinced that he not only created the Doctor, but is solely responsible for his successes.
    The Doctor must use his sonic screw driver copiously, inform everyone loudly that he is the Doctor and the last of the Time Lords, and survive 464 explosions in his quest to vanquish this threat to the very integrity of the Doctor's existence.

It must be marvellous having a wit as sharp as yours Ixoy. God help Russell T. Davies if he ever has the misfortune to come across you in a battle of the minds.

It is so much easier to attack than to admire isn't it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It is so much easier to attack than to admire isn't it?
    It's so much easier to admire than to slavishly agree - that could be said as well.
    Take it with a pinch of sodium chloride too - I see little to admire in RTD's scripts these last couple of years so I don't think they're worthy of praise. They weren't as poor as Raynor's effort in S3 or a couple of others, but they do deserve to be needled that little bit more when the man seems immune to criticism.

You'll find no slavish agreement here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm more of a "watch 'em and don't think too much about it" kind of fan.

The only correlation I did notice was that RTD had a lot to do with writing Doctor Who plots, which have been great, and not a lot to do with Torchwood plots, which have sucked in almost every way imaginable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

You'll find no slavish agreement here.

Good for you. Stop it now.

Hand up those who noticed that Kylie's character was an acronym of TARDIS.

The ....... and The ....... is my guess anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Trojan wrote: »
    I'm more of a "watch 'em and don't think too much about it" kind of fan.

The only correlation I did notice was that RTD had a lot to do with writing Doctor Who plots, which have been great, and not a lot to do with Torchwood plots, which have sucked in almost every way imaginable.

Ah, but he created Torchwood, gave it its style and feel, and did outline the plots for the writers to keep to. He also wrote out Capt. Jacks entire storyline, so they had to stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Ungulate and the Thai Whores
    Guest starring Catherine Tate

"Sonic Vodka and Orange Juice anyone?"

The sonic screwdriver takes centre stage in this special episode when the Doctor and his new companion are in need of some shore leave. The Doctor punches in the coordinates for Planet Bangkok and puts his screwdriver on the "screw brains out" setting.

Noone would guess that a gay man was at the helm of the show, as the New Doctor proudly shouts out his pansexual retcon to the world. The post-liberal references continue to come hard and thick as the Doctor explains that the people on Bangkok are an enlightened race who'll shag anything and don't care about silly things such as gender and obesity. Also, you need to lock small animals indoors at night if you don't want them defiled, as evidenced by the catpeople walking about. Donna is none too pleased when an oversexed female android takes a liking to her hair. She points out how illogical it is for a robot to have a sexuality when reproduction takes place in a factory, but the Doctor chastises her for choosing to attack instead of admire.

Things look in danger of winding down when who should come running from an exploding building, but our old friend Captain Jack. "Jack", shouts the Doctor in glee. "Run Doctor!" shouts Jack. They all run as a group of angry looking pimps fire grenades in their direction. "Forgot to pay the bill", smirks Jack mischievously. Things look grim when they come to a busy intersection, but the Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver to turn the lights green in the nick of time. They get to the other side and the Doctor uses the sonic screwdriver to turn the lights red again, trapping the pimps behind a flow of fast moving traffic. They look over at them and laugh.

Jack is about to put on his signature moves when he casts an eye on Donna's scowling visage and withdraws in disgust. He's not that much of a slut. The Doctor however, will take anything. It's lonely in that there TARDIS. "Rose", he sighs. "It's easy for you Jack", he bemoans, "you're not the last of the Timelords". "Yes, but I can't die", replies Jack. Donna groans. "Give me strength", she thinks, but falls in love with the Doctor anyway.

All seems to be fun and enjoyment on their shore leave until the Doctor and his companions start to unravel the dark secrets of the planet, meeting among others, future versions of Madeleine McCann and Pete Burns working in Bangkok's sex industry. The Doctor realises this has to be stopped, so he sets his sonic screwdriver to Explode mode and runs through the brothels pointing it at anything and everything. As everything collapses around them, the Doctor spots the TARDIS on the opposite side of a rickety bridge. "It'll never support our weight", shouts Jack. "It will if I reinforce it with the sonic screwdriver!", shouts the Doctor, "now Run, Run!". They enter the TARDIS in the nick of time, before the ground crumbles beneath them. Another job well done for the mighty Doctor. Donna looks out the through the TARDIS's viewscreen just in time to see a sign graffiti'd with the mysterious Season 4 codeword "Rosebud" fall into the abyss. Fanboys and blog owners everywhere wet themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sounds about right ;)

Advertisement