Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M6 - 194 mph on the autobahn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

E92 wrote: »
    I don't believe it either. What car was it?
    Ferrari F430

Sure you have.FFS

I think gullible is wrote on the ceiling....What an ejjit

FYI

gullible

adjective
    1. naive and easily deceived or tricked; "at that early age she had been gullible and in love" [syn: fleeceable]
    2. easily tricked because of being too trusting; "gullible tourists taken in by the shell game"

You seriously don't know what you are talking about.I know as i know many people with top end exotic cars that are able to well over those speeds.Anyway i am not challenging anyone here.I just made a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

drdre wrote: »
    You seriously don't know what you are talking about.I know as i know many people with top end exotic cars that are able to well over those speeds.Anyway i am not challenging anyone here.I just made a comment.

Your an Idiot.....enough said.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Infraction given to eringobragh for insulting other members!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Id say 190 is possible on the M50, given the right car and conditions. but you'd want to be a feckin organ donor to attempt it.

Given that an Irish land speed record was set there in the early 90's before it opened at 170ish MPH. IIRC the speed records are based on a average, so 190 is not inconceivable at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Was on the autobahn a few years ago in a VW golf.. at 110mph its like doing 40mph on the N3...
    One thing I did notice was that every few miles there were major skid marks and bent crash barriers :eek:... fast it may be.... safe it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Id say 190 is possible on the M50, given the right car and conditions. but you'd want to be a feckin organ donor to attempt it.

If you were to attempt to do 200mph, surely logic would dictate a road like the M7 would be much more suitable than the carpark that is the m50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

the autobahn does infact have a speed limit.
    Its only small parts of it that have no speed limit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Half of it has a limit(120 or 130 usually, bar the A2 which has a limit of 140, some sections have a lower limit, but this is because at any given time, there are huge amounts of Autobahn being resurfaced), the other half is still limit free, but has a Recommended speed limit(the Richtgeschwindigkeit) of 130.

If you have an accident and you're going above 130, limit or no limit, you can be held partly responsible and the Police can do you for dangerous driving even on the limit free sections of the Autobahn if you are going too fast when there is too much traffic.

In saying all that the German car lobby is extremely powerful(and no wonder since 1 in 7 jobs in Germany depend on the car industry in one way or another), so despite the best efforts of the Greenies and the EU their limit free status is safe for another while yet(especially as we're fortunate enough to have a Chancellor who is completely opposed to blanket speed limits, and with no elections in Germany till 2009, I don't see blanket limits happening till then at the earliest), and in any event, the CO2 saving with blanket limits would be 2.5 million tonnes every year, as a comparison we pollute 70 million tonnes per annum which is 28 times more and our emissions are 7 seconds on a 24 hour clock, so the extra pollution caused by no speed limits is 1/4 of a second on a 24 hour clock or 0.0000029% of the world's emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

....E92 summed it all up pretty nicely.....

Great post - but that sort of logic will get a Green-hired contract killer after you!

I'd be quite happy for cities to have large pedestrian areas if we could use private transport at high speed to get between the cities (seeing as public transport is so absent outside of Dublin).

Unfortunately this green religion that has emerged will see us move towards a system of relentless tiny cars doing "just under" whatever politically motivated Co2 target for that year, and massive congestion and still no reasonable local rail services in most cities.

If we banned all cars under 2.0litres CO2 output would drop instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have driven on a few motor ways in Ireland at 4am and it's mostly just trucks on the road. Most truck drivers stick to the correct lane. So I don't see why 190mph would not be possible with the right car at 4am.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    If we banned all cars under 2.0litres CO2 output would drop instantly.
    Now this really is a silly comment. If anything under 2L was banned then people would just buy a larger car and the resultant effect would be an increase in CO2 output.

No i am not,Im making a point thats actually true and you cant believe it.I really do not care what you think.

kbannon wrote: »
    Infraction given to eringobragh for insulting other members!
    Thanks

tuxy wrote: »
    I have driven on a few motor ways in Ireland at 4am and it's mostly just trucks on the road. Most truck drivers stick to the correct lane. So I don't see why 190mph would not be possible with the right car at 4am.

Agreed.It all depends where and when.Some places are actually safe to speed.But some of the irish roads are seriously crap.

No i am not,Im making a point thats actually true and you cant believe it.I really do not care what you think.

Ok I believe you now, I almost did it in my car on the M50 on the way home yesterday , just to see if you were right and i was only a few mile off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

maidhc wrote: »
    If you were to attempt to do 200mph, surely logic would dictate a road like the M7 would be much more suitable than the carpark that is the m50?
    I agree, the straight sections of the M7 would be much better. Still very dangerous though.

tuxy wrote: »
    I agree, the straight sections of the M7 would be much better. Still very dangerous though.
    No one said its not dangerous, Not many people go those speeds and whoever does should know the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Of course it's dangerous.. in Ireland.

I don't see what the big deal with Dre's posts is either. My own car is capable of 180 mph and it's a mass production coupe.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley and Aston Martin are all very common brands on our roads these days... these types of cars would have no problem doing what Dre described. Just cause you haven't witnessed these types of cars in your own life (and I haven't really either bar Porsches) does not mean stupid speeds cannot happen.

I'd take the M7 any day though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

can the anti speed lobby please explain to me why Germany's Autobahns(half of which still don't have a speed limit btw) have an accident rate of not even 1/2 the rate it is here, yet our speed limits are only 120 km/h?
    Not of the "anti speed lobby", but compare how the Germans learn to drive, and how we do, and you'll see. Also, I'd say their roads don't have as mush potholes. Potholes + speed = ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I drove an M6 in Spain on a motorway. I *swear* I barely touched the accelerator and I was doing ~ 200kph. There was loads more of oomph left. The lad who owns it did 250 and there was still plenty of juice left in it, but we were running out of straight road.

23082007044.jpg (The guring eejit in the photo is me!)

I've driven a Porsche 911 (a 996 I think, not too up on exact models) which as a decent amount of poke, but the M6 is just an animal.

And as for this..
    ...spot the irony?

MarkN wrote: »
    Of course it's dangerous.. in Ireland.

I don't see what the big deal with Dre's posts is either. My own car is capable of 180 mph and it's a mass production coupe.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley and Aston Martin are all very common brands on our roads these days... these types of cars would have no problem doing what Dre described. Just cause you haven't witnessed these types of cars in your own life (and I haven't really either bar Porsches) does not mean stupid speeds cannot happen.

I'd take the M7 any day though ;)

Excellent comment Mark, I would agree i don't think the Original poster has been in,driven or seen cars like those on irish roads.

Ah well i don't need to argue with him as he doesn't have a clue and i am not the idiot he is :)

Ah well i don't need to argue with him as he doesn't have a clue and i am not the idiot he is :)

Wonder will he get an infraction as well???

I've seen plenty of high end cars on the road, i said it was unlikely to be achieved on the M50...Well i'm off now to pull a few handbrake turns / doughnuts and p1ss my pants when the guards pull me..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Excellent comment Mark, I would agree i don't think the Original poster has been in,driven or seen cars like those on irish roads.

As the original poster of this thread I hope you are not referring to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

@ eringobragh, from reading some of drdre's more "entertaining" posts the sig of another boards user springs to mind: ""Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." :D

I concur ;) LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

erin, give it a rest. your responses are beyond childish and you're making a show of yourself.

a car doing 300kph on the m50 is entirely possible in the right circumstances.

erin- if you disagree with a mods decision then take it to the feedback forum!
    Everyone stay on topic - I'm back at work and dying of a cold and need to do something to make me feel warm inside - giving out bannings will really hit the spot!

Wonder will he get an infraction as well???

I've seen plenty of high end cars on the road, i said it was unlikely to be achieved on the M50...Well i'm off now to pull a few handbrake turns / doughnuts and p1ss my pants when the guards pull me..;)

Haha, You are not funny.I didn't piss in my pants.

• Advertisement

skibum wrote: »
    @ eringobragh, from reading some of drdre's more "entertaining" posts the sig of another boards user springs to mind: ""Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." :D
    No comments i do not want to get banned.Just because i wrote afew true comments you guys are getting jealous.

Advertisement