Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To shoot moly or not!

Options
  • 30-12-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Just a quick one. I have come across moly coated bullets but I heard there not a good idea. The moly is apparently a pig to get out of your bore and builds up. I going to save moly until my barrel is near shot out to try to extend its life a bit. Have any of you any practical experience with moly fouling?
    I do know one thing, an hour in an ultrasonic cleaning bath won't take it fully off a coated bullet. The same hour will take the annealing marks off a Lapua case!
    Cheers,
    Slug

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Think this one is a case of who you ask. I use them in my 220 swift. I have some for my 6.5x55 too, but haven't used them yet. I was advised that if using moly coated bullets that the best thing to do was to only use moly coated and not to use un coated bullets as well. I have Kroil, which i got from states, they can't ship it anymore, which is supposed to be very good to shift it. I am using hornady 50 gr v-max moly coated now and find no problem. I use kroil and it shifts moly as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Kroil, yea I saw that mentioned some place. It just spooked me for sure when the ultrasonic wouldn't clean it off. I'm going to hang on the 100 coated bullets I have left for later use. I don't think the moly would be much of a benefit either way as it would be gone off the bullet in the first few inches of barrel travel. I think I'll just keep away from them to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

If you want to use moly coated bullets ...

First thing you need to do is get your bore absolutely spotless.
    Get out everything , powder fouling , copper fouling ..the lot.

That means really good brushes and patches and a heck of a lot of time
    and elbow grease. (Maybe 80 patches or more ) and good solvents used properly. That comes as a shock to many people.

Following on from that , use your moly coated rounds on the now sparkling bore
    and it will take about 20 rounds to "season" the bore .

My experience has been that it greatly reduced fouling and the requirement for cleaning. Even on a Swift i had you could go for a couple of hundred rounds without any noticeable loss of accuracy, and im picky about that.

Only things to remember are ...
    1. If you want to shoot moly ...shoot only moly, dont mix and match.
    2. Get some Kroil , for when you do want to clean it out but there isnt any rush , also the KG line of cleaning products are excellent .

Barrel life is supposed to be longer as the coating on the bore protects it, the fact that it is difficult to remove is an advantage. Less jacket friction leaves less copper in the bore , dramatically so, and i presume means less bullet deformation and greater shot to shot consistency.

Opinions vary on Moly , but i have found it to be very good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Just a quick one. I have come across moly coated bullets but I heard there not a good idea. The moly is apparently a pig to get out of your bore and builds up.

Numpty question here, what is " moly" or "moly coated" bullets?

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

These links may help :)

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11263

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/moly.htm

and a word or two from David Tubb (who knows a little about shooting ) ;)

http://www.zediker.com/articles/mcc.pdf

Berger Bullets views ... (Full link here )

Q: Should I shoot Moly Coated bullets?
    A:
    Any shooter who goes through a lot of rounds during a shooting session should use Moly Coated bullets. Moly is a dry lubricant that allows you to shoot more rounds before you have to clean. Since you get less fouling using Moly Coated bullets the accuracy level of your load will last longer within a shooting session. If your load did not shoot without Moly, adding Moly will not make your load shoot. Moly does not eliminate the need to clean your barrel. You just don't have to clean as often. Moly will reduce the pressure of your load, which will result in a slight loss of velocity. In most situations a little more powder can be added to get you right back to the velocity you want to shoot. If you are shooting a compressed load with non-Moly bullets you may not be able to add more powder. It has not been conclusively proven that premium accuracy life of a barrel will be extended using Moly. However, since you don't have to clean as often due to reduced fouling premium accuracy during a particular shooting session does last longer.

Q: If I use Moly Coated bullets how should I clean my barrel?
    A:
    The following is one way to clean when using Moly Coated bullets. It is not likely the only way you can clean if you are using Moly Coated bullets.
    1. Push one patch wet with Kroil Oil through the barrel
    2. Repeat step 1.
    3. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
    4. Repeat step 3.
    5. Push one patch wet with Butch's Bore Shine through the barrel.
    6. Repeat step 5.
    7. Let the barrel soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
    8. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
    9. Repeat step 8.
    10. Using short strokes back and forth push one patch wet with USP or JB Bore Paste through the barrel.
    11. Push one patch wet with Kroil through the barrel.
    12. Repeat step 11 twice.
    13. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
    14. Repeat step 13 three times.
    15. Use bore scope or visually inspect muzzle for copper fouling.
    16. If copper is present repeat steps 10 through 15.
    17. If you are storing the rifle push one patch wet with quality gun oil through the barrel.

Q: How do I break in a barrel using Moly Coated bullets?
    A: Moly Coated bullets will not shoot consistently until a barrel is properly broken in with Moly Coated bullets. Walt Berger has found the following procedure to work best in his barrels.
    For a new barrel:

1. Shoot one Moly Coated bullet then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
    2. Repeat step 1 five times.
    3. Shoot three Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
    4. Repeat step 3 five times.

For a broken in barrel:

1. Thoroughly clean the barrel.
    2. Shoot ten Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.

Your barrel is now ready to shoot Moly Coated bullets.

Hope all that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Used moly coated rds for 8 yrs in a 220 swift which saw a lot of hunting
    and target shooting approx 4000 rds used at targets ,didnt count the hunting rds but it killed a lot of foxes and greybacks-traded it in and the
    dealer took a good look at the rifling-though he hadnt a borescope and pronounced it healthy-I would still have it only I got a good deal on a 243.
    Aguy in the states on a varminting forum told me he put 22000 rds through
    a swift using moly-and after that it could still hold a one inch group at ioo yds- as ripley says Believe it or not.icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Kroil, yea I saw that mentioned some place. It just spooked me for sure when the ultrasonic wouldn't clean it off. I'm going to hang on the 100 coated bullets I have left for later use. I don't think the moly would be much of a benefit either way as it would be gone off the bullet in the first few inches of barrel travel. I think I'll just keep away from them to be on the safe side.

acetone will shift moly even in your gun barrelicon14.gif

Advertisement