Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Laptop Connects to other routers but not mine...

• 30-12-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Ok So I go to this Hotel And Whip out My hp pavilion(Built in wireless) laptop, click Internet Explorer and It connects to internet no problem via the hotels router. It also worked in other places.

I have one of the Netopia Boxes(from eircom) and It has worked wirelessly with my laptop in the past( on and off, connecting/disconnecting by itself). Now(as i write this) at the bottom right it says
    Signal Strength: Excellent

I know the connection is there but everytime I go to internet explorer it just comes up "Internet Explorer cannot display the Webpage".

From what I know, the Laptop is fine as it obviosly connects to other routers no problem. So it is my Wireless router that is the problem. It doesnt want my laptop to have internet access.:confused:

How do I access My Netopia box settings?? :confused:

P.s sorry if this got posted in the wrong place, ii hope this is the right place.

I also need to solve this problem so as that i can connect my Wii to the internet. (Killing 2 birds with the one stone).

Please if any1 has had this problem in the past, can u reply. I reeealllyyy want to fix this stupid problem. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How do I access My Netopia box settings??
    Open IE. Address: http://192.168.1.254

Can you access this?

If you're replying, also include the output from:
    Start -> run -> CMD -> ipconfig /all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Yes I can acces that...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : barcoe-d2755371
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-85-65-DC-2C
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.57
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 31 December 2007 23:10:42
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 01 January 2008 00:10:42

I have reset my router....

I can now access google search Engine but when I type something in, Nothing happens. The connection disconnects. The connection now seems Unsteardier then before!!

Why is it that one minute im connected, next it says disconnected. Now it keeps disconnecting itself every minute. I type something in the search engine, click search, and BANG, there goes the connection....Cannot display the webpage..etc :(

The connection keeps goin, Acquiring address, connected excellent, BANG, The big red X appears . Process keeps repeating itself..

ok now I have the laptop beside the router, and I can Browse the Web no problem. I take the latop away and the connection goes. Its wireless, it should be able to work through walls and what not? Oh there we go, it just disconnected itself and reconnected as i was typing this. Why does the connection keep doing this? it has a mind of its own. All I want is a SOLID Connection that stays connected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭HPMan

have you downloaded and applied all the updates for the firmware?

I'm not familiar witha that term HPMan?

Could you please give me directions on what to do/ how to check?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Try opening http://192.168.1.254 again in IE. You'll get the Netopia Router page. Then click Expert mode on the left, choose Yes, then click Update Router on the left, and choose Update Software from Server.

You'll probably want to connect via the ethernet cable while doing that though.

HPMan wrote: »
    have you downloaded and applied all the updates for the firmware?
    milli wrote: »
    Try opening http://192.168.1.254 again in IE. You'll get the Netopia Router page. Then click Expert mode on the left, choose Yes, then click Update Router on the left, and choose Update Software from Server.

You'll probably want to connect via the ethernet cable while doing that though.

Done. It said "Software is up to date. You are currently running the latest available system software version."

hmmm??

Probably something to do with the encryption so - do you have the cd that came with the router?

I doubt i'd be able to find it. Might be able tommorow if its still around.
    I'll pop in here with a reply if I do. Thanks anyway:confused:

No worries. If my memory serves me correctly it's fairly straightforward once you run the cd. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

milli wrote: »
    Probably something to do with the encryption so - do you have the cd that came with the router?

what is on the cd that he cannot do manually by logging into the router?

My Nintendo Wii connects Perfectly to the router.
    My Laptop connects perfectly with other routers.(E.g in a hotel I was in)

It seems either my laptop don't like my router or my router don't like my Laptop!??:confused::confused:

jetsonx wrote: »
    what is on the cd that he cannot do manually by logging into the router?

For a novice in my opinion its just easier to get them to run through the cd which should set up the security automatically, rather than spelling out exactly where to get the WEP key from the router and have them enter and re-enter it into the wireless connection window. IMO anyway.
    barcoe4 wrote: »
    My Nintendo Wii connects Perfectly to the router.
    My Laptop connects perfectly with other routers.(E.g in a hotel I was in)

It seems either my laptop don't like my router or my router don't like my Laptop!??:confused::confused:

Different routers have different security settings. How are you connected currently to the router? Try connecting wirelessly, go to start -> run -> type cmd -> ok -> type ping 192.168.1.254 and post up the results, we'll know more then.

I re-entered My Network kEY and its working briliantly now!!

Thanks for the help anyway, appreciate it!!!:cool::cool:

Advertisement