Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warming up a car in the morning

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I remote start mine and let it run for 20 mins or so so I can treat the neighbours to my MIVEC alarm clock!

Your car idles at over 6,000rpm ??!! .... you might wanna get that checked out :p

colm_mcm wrote: »
    maybe I'm just lucky that any of my cars haven't ever given any engine trouble, despite every one of them being idled to death on cold mornings!

Same here .. I've idled all my cars for about 1-2 min most mornings (5 mins on frosty mornings) and have done more than 20k miles in each car and were all running smooth as silk and never gave an ounce of engine trouble.

I was actually the one that started the thread about this last yr.

I am of the opinion that its actually good for the car to let it idle for around 1-2 minutes for the oil to get movin through the engine ... I wouldnt idle it for more than 5 mins though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I let mine idle too. Only because I want the inside of the car to warm up.

But Ive been wearing a jacket lately so I tend to just wipe the back window with my sleeve and head off straight away. Or the ice yoke to move away the frost.

The steering wheel takes ages to heat up. Any quick warm up solutions to that? I hear the new cars have steering wheel heaters :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I let mine idle too. Only because I want the inside of the car to warm up.

But Ive been wearing a jacket lately so I tend to just wipe the back window with my sleeve and head off straight away. Or the ice yoke to move away the frost.

The steering wheel takes ages to heat up. Any quick warm up solutions to that? I hear the new cars have steering wheel heaters :eek:

There was a simple innovation that was released a number of years ago to alleviate the cold steering wheel problem. Gloves, I think they're called:p

Advertisement