Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriuosly piddled off

Options
  • 31-12-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Today was a dry day for the first time in a long time so Nate and I decided to take pupster for a walk in our usual haunt, the local forest. We drove up to the forestry barrier, parked the car, went around the barrier and on our merry way. About 20 minutes into the walk there were loud shots coming from behind us and then loud voices. I grabbed my child and then the pupster and shouted: WTF do you think you are doing???

Next thing 4 men appeared from the undergrowth, I swear to God, I thought I was in a blooming war movie. Faces painted black (BROAD DAYLIGHT FFS!!), khaki clothes etc. And guns, lots of guns.

They stared at me and one of them mumbled *goat control* - at which point I slightly lost it.

Had they NOT seen my car parked at the barrier?? Had they not seen the child seat in the car?? Have they no brains or is the urge to kill so strong that they don't give a ****e about WHO might be in the way? Just a few choice bits of what I threw their way.

I went back to my car and there it was:
    p848976.jpg

I am going to lodge a complaint with Coillte AND the police tomorrow morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

ohmy.... Altho i no it wasnt funny at the time because god forbid you or your child could of been seriously injured but after reading what you wrote and seen the notice then at the end i had a giggle.
    You should defo complain,the tiny little notice buried in the bottom corner is ridiculous. Im glad everybody is ok,pupster and all,poor child must of been so frightend now that i think of it,is he/she ok?
    (waits for a ear bashing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

I meant to ask.... What the hell were they shooting...beside you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wrong forum :D

Go there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1014 for more effective "ventilation"
    :D:D:D

boyz with toyz :rolleyes: ...sense out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Thats rediculas. The sign is a Coillte sign. Were they from Coillte?? Surely if the are there on official bussiness doing "Goat Control" they should be doing it during the week when there is less likely to be public about. From the way they were dressed, sounds like they were just hunters out for the day and were just too lazy to check that the area was clear. You are right to be very annoyed.

Duzzie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Neither the sign nor their jeep was there when I arrived there initially, They came after me and MUST have seen my estate with a child seat and a dog guard in the back, theu just didn't give a monkeys. Coillte is paying bounty for each killed goat, they usually just cut off the ears and leave the carcasses and Coillte *employs* hunters from outside as well. They make me sick.

Peasant, I closed the window with you link REALLY quick as I would get shot in the forum :D.

• Advertisement

That is bad. Under Health and Safety at Work Legislation, if Coillte are employing people to do work on their behalf, what ever that work is, they are duty bound to ensure that the people they are employing are working in a safe manor. The people employed to do the work are also duty bound to ensure that they work in a safe manor and do not put anyone, including the public at risk. The sign errected is not adequate to ensure public safety. A call to the HSA may be in order.

I took pics of their jeep (KE license plate)- front and back :D. I am SO angry, you have no idea. The small man is only 3 yro and the pupster is four months, usually I have more dogs with me but luckily it was meant to be some quality time just for Nate and his pupster. He took it quite calmly but the shots startled him. He didn't cry but the pup was hysterical - and so was I :eek: but rather from anger.

Maybe they didn't like my car stickers..

Seriously, you should consider reporting it to the Health & Safety Authority as a dangerous occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I had gout over the Christmas and couldn't get out for my usual Christmas day shoot.

This thread reminds me that my gout has almost gone and 'tis time to take ye olde gun out for a walk.

Duzzie wrote: »
    Seriously, you should consider reporting it to the Health & Safety Authority as a dangerous occurance.

How does one find them?

• Advertisement

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/
    You'd be amazed how far H&S at work legislation goes. Far beyond the normal workplace.

Thank you! I have bookmarked it, they will be hearing from me!!!

Let us know how you get on. Make sure the HSA are aware that they were being paid by Coillte to shoot the goats and were therefore employed by Coillte for that purpose, meaning that their activities should fall under H&S at Work legislation. Also point out that they were using a Coillte warning sign, showing that they were operation on behalf of Coillte.

Duzzie

Will do, thank you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Most likely they were shooting deer. Goat shooting is highly unlikely.

This is true, Coillte may be interested to know that they were claiming to be acting on their behalf. Are goats such a major problem that requires that they be hunted on a sunday when Coillte is most probably mostly closed down for the christmas break??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Was the sign tied to the post? its looks like a small puff of wind would knock it over. I'm sure they are meant to put up more warning then one half assed sign. Anyone getting out the far side of their car would miss that. All sounds very iffy, good job taking the photos of their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mairt wrote: »
    I had gout over the Christmas and couldn't get out for my usual Christmas day shoot..

Mairt... are you Louis the 13th?

EGAR, that is incredible. You have every right to be well pissed off. I would imagine the Gards would take this pretty seriously. Blackened faces and military camo... FFS, big kids.

Mind you, your lucky you didn't get mauled by a goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've come across similar things to this in Wicklow, but for deer. They stick up one measly little sign at the entrance to the forest track they use to gain access and that's it. It doesn't seem to occur to them that there are hordes of walkers out in the Wicklow Mountains at the weekends who can easily access the area they're shooting in from hundreds of different directions without ever seeing the sign. Then they have the cheek to drive past in their 4x4's looking like they've escaped from the set of "Deliverance" and bellow out of the window "What the f**k are you doing here??!!"

There is a bit of a deer overpopulation problem in Wicklow, and there probably needs to be some culling done, but Coillte, WMNP or whoever sanctions it needs to seriously look at the kinds of people they "employ" to do it, and the safeguards that need to be in place for it to happen safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Basically anyone with the correct type of firearm can apply to Coillte or NPWS and obtain a permit to shoot deer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Most likely they were shooting deer. Goat shooting is highly unlikely.
    A neighbour of mine is employed part time to clear goats from the Slievebloom mountains- it's been a bumper year for them apparently.(The goats that is.)
    Hope you can get these fellas hung out to dry EGAR,that was just outrageous.They just couldn't wait to start blasting away and to .... with the safety of you and your family.Just as well pupster isn't intended to be a gundog and (hopefully)will never have to face it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

in this day in age you wouldn't know if they were shooting an animal or a person! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

pardon my intrusion but what the hell they are shooting goats for? are they vermins no i dont think so but why goats?

There are fairly large herds of feral/dumped goats around here and towards Co. Clare. Coillte claims they are destroying the trees although the parts where they are there are neither no trees or very mature ones.

These guys who shoot them are making me sick. They even shot 4 goats on private grounds, took their collars off then then cut off their ears and left the carcasses behind for the owner (a mother of two young children) to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

EGAR wrote: »
    There are fairly large herds of feral/dumped goats around here and towards Co. Clare. Coillte claims they are destroying the trees although the parts where they are there are neither no trees or very mature ones.

These guys who shoot them are making me sick. They even shot 4 goats on private grounds, took their collars off then then cut off their ears and left the carcasses behind for the owner (a mother of two young children) to find.
    are these goats wild but still.woulndnt it be better if the goats able to arm themselves and shoot the employers of coillte themselves and see how they like it.whats the big deal if they are chewing the trees at least they can clean their teeth!Killing goats over trees being chewed thats a disgrace,is there a law to prevent harmless goats geting shot for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

I find it all completely sick. Poor animals and how barbaric how ppl go about it. How on earth do they get their kicks killing and mutilating animals. I wouldnt be surprised they do that to pets too.
    I think i will have to shut up about this before i make myself physically sick. :mad:
    You are very lucky they didnt injure you and your family.

Sorry, there is no excuse to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

davey180 wrote: »
    are these goats wild but still.woulndnt it be better if the goats able to arm themselves and shoot the employers of coillte themselves and see how they like it.whats the big deal if they are chewing the trees at least they can clean their teeth!Killing goats over trees being chewed thats a disgrace,is there a law to prevent harmless goats geting shot for no reason.
    Goats can decimate a field of seedlings,they are voracious eaters.
    Animal versus economics-there's not much in the way of victory for the animal in that contest.
    What burns me is the kind of Rambo attitude some professional shooters have - and in this instance total disregard for the safety of this young family.

What speaks against rounding them up, putting them in quarantine and then sending them off to some needy family somewhere where kids still starve???

Goats can acclimatise (sp - I know what I mean :D ) to different weather, heat etc fairly fast.

The goat used to be the poor Irish man's cow- generations of Irish were reared on goat's milk and this is how they are being repaid - kill them and leave them to rott.

ALOT of the older farmers around here are violently opposed to the goat culling, believing it to be *unlucky* to kill a goat.

Hi Egar. Any joy in reporting these guys?? Anyone in authority shown any interest??

• Advertisement

The Gardai say they are taking it serious, the Coillte *head guy* is still on vacation and I can't get anybody as HSA. I'll try them again this coming Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement