Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new machine,, What Graphics card will i need for a 32" screen?

Options
  • 31-12-2007 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Getting Komplett to build my new PC.. But i want the screen to be used for my xbox360,digibox and my PC.. so i was thinking of getting a 32" >>Toshiba REGZA <<

So far this is what i've got in it.

Gigabyte GZ-X1 Black, 4X 5,25",
    Silver Power PSU, 600W, 120mm fan
    MSI K9AG NEO2-Digital, AMD 690G+SB600,
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4,
    Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 PRO 512MB DDR2, -- Will this do ?
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB SATA2
    NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7200 IDE Black OEM,
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng
    D-Link DWL-G510 PCI 54Mbps

I'm thinking about going with 4gig ram and using Win XP 64. nearly sure I will.

So will this graphics card be ok with the screen.. I dont want a Sh!t picture.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

will be using it for games?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

not all the time but yes I do play online gaming like Call of Duty and stuff like that.

Call of duty 4 at native res,dont think that card is up to the job....

Something like a Ati 3850 would suit...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342319

Tv is nice,would prefer the samsung one myself,nothing in it though,both great value

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333288

i cant select that card from my list.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/config.aspx?ConfigSystemId=10265 look here you will see a list of cards i can pick from ,

hmm that list is pretty thin....

I dont think the ati 2600 pro is worth the extra €35 over the 8400gs at the res you will be playing at......You can always lower the res on the tv,but they dont scale that well imo....

You could always buy the system with 8400gs and fit the 3850 by yourself....

• Advertisement

ya i could.. i built my last PC ,, didnt want to build another one lol.. had a few problems so i wanted everything done by them.. is there any card on the list..
    what about the http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331406&CKS=PCW ?

NeVeR wrote: »
    ya i could.. i built my last PC ,, didnt want to build another one lol.. had a few problems so i wanted everything done by them.. is there any card on the list..
    what about the http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331406&CKS=PCW ?

The 8800 GTS 320MB is pretty much an HD3850....

right.. going to have a think about it.. I started out only wanting a 24" screen.. But the 32" was a good price..
    thanks for the help..

If anyone else would like to add anything please do

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Why an AMD rig?
    The AMD 6000+ is not worth considering anymore.
    Nop offense or anything but Intel are so many yards ahead, meaning that you could probably purchase a cheaper faster and better performing rig.

I reccomend to choose either a E2140, a E6750 or a Q6600, depending on what your budget is like.
    As the 32" is designed to be more like a tv as well as a monitor, it will have lower resolutions than a 24" monitor. This is okay but it also a funky resolution so make sure your games support widescreen.
    On the high side the 32" will not require an SLI beast because of this and you will hardly notice any lacking in visual with AA turned on.

Check out the Intel Gamer Package

Change the memory to 4gb of A-DATA PC6400
    Change Hard Disk to Samsung Spinppoint T166 500GB ( best perfomance)
    Change the graphics card to 8800GT whe they become available from Komplett.ie
    You probably wouldn't need a Q6600 either... but it'll future proof your rig, a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

http://www.ankermann-pc.de

Check out the Q6600 / 8800GT rig

• Advertisement

You can get a class dell xps for €906 through the dell epp site....

www.dell.ie/epp

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 1)"][COLOR=#0000ff]Intel&#174; Core&#8482; 2 Quad-Core&#8482; Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 11)"][COLOR=#0000ff]Genuine Windows Vista&#174; Home Premium - English[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 30)"][COLOR=#0000ff]Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 5)"][COLOR=#0000ff]Monitor Not included[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 3)"][COLOR=#0000ff]3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512][/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 8)"][COLOR=#0000ff]640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 6)"][COLOR=#0000ff]SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 16)"][COLOR=#0000ff]16x DVD +/- RW Drive[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 4)"][COLOR=#0000ff]Dell&#8482; Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 12)"][COLOR=#0000ff]Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse[/COLOR][/URL]

E-Value Code

305-D01X403

well i was thinking AMD because when building the machine i have now everyone was saying go with AMD.. dont mind what i go with,

Right i need some help. I've got €1200-€1300 to spend.. with this i want at lease a 26" screen so i can play my Xbox on as well..

I was thinking of selling the parts of my current machine can anyone tell me what they might be worth and this can be added onto the total amount i have to spend. :)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ not clocked (939 socket)
    Mother board: ABIT KN8ultra (still have box)
    Graphics card: ATI Redeon Club 3D X1600xt 256MB (still have box)
    RAM 2 x 512MD Corsair DDR-SDRAM
    NortonQ 500watt power supply (might be 550watt) not sure
    15" TFT advent monitor
    Also case. nothing special cost €50

I'm keeping my harddrive till i get all the into off them

So with selling that and the money i have what can i get..
    I will be using the PC for gaming I like games like COD4 ,, But i also use it for graphics. Like 3D modeling and rendering.

Also the tv/monitor will be a higher res so the Graphics card will have to be able to take it

Thanks Guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ITS been shown that winxp is the best os for running ,games eg crysis,cod4 ,bioshock, get winxp,or winxp pro,if you have hdtv,you may like a card with dvi, hdmi out,or HD-TV OUT.ALL graphics cards have drivers,and tuning progs for winxp.FOR 99percent of games winxp is faster,and better than vista,vista has issues with drivers for many devices,its not recommended for gamers,especially for cod4,bioshock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

gamer wrote: »
    ITS been shown that winxp is the best os for running ,games eg crysis,cod4 ,bioshock, get winxp,or winxp pro,if you have hdtv,you may like a card with dvi, hdmi out,or HD-TV OUT.ALL graphics cards have drivers,and tuning progs for winxp.FOR 99percent of games winxp is faster,and better than vista,vista has issues with drivers for many devices,its not recommended for gamers,especially for cod4,bioshock etc.

vista is better than xp , sure it may take a couple % hit on games , but the rest of the os is more secure
    Better laid out.

i have vista , cod 4 runs , crysis runs , bioshock runs , guitar hero 3 runs, ut3 runs, every game i have runs.

also , if your running dodgy no name branded devices they wont work with vista
    but all new devices and even popular devices 3 or 4 years old will run with vista
    these scare tactics suck , vista HAD driver problems , when it first came out , but mind you winxp has 2 Service packs under its belt and another to go
    i've never had 1 problem with somthing not working with vista

well i was thinking AMD because when building the machine i have now everyone was saying go with AMD.. dont mind what i go with,

Right i need some help. I've got €1200-€1300 to spend.. with this i want at lease a 26" screen so i can play my Xbox on as well..

I was thinking of selling the parts of my current machine can anyone tell me what they might be worth and this can be added onto the total amount i have to spend. :)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ not clocked (939 socket)
    Mother board: ABIT KN8ultra (still have box)
    Graphics card: ATI Redeon Club 3D X1600xt 256MB (still have box)
    RAM 2 x 512MD Corsair DDR-SDRAM
    NortonQ 500watt power supply (might be 550watt) not sure
    15" TFT advent monitor
    Also case. nothing special cost €50

I'm keeping my harddrive till i get all the into off them

So with selling that and the money i have what can i get..
    I will be using the PC for gaming I like games like COD4 ,, But i also use it for graphics. Like 3D modeling and rendering.

Also the tv/monitor will be a higher res so the Graphics card will have to be able to take it

Thanks Guys.

If I wanted a hassle free performance pc
    I would get the dell above and pair it with a full hd monitor like below..

28" Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920 x 1200 Resolution

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-025-OK

Seriously nice piece of kit for just over 1500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

The pc you have already is fairly decent.....

Keep your money until newer tech comes along mate....

Cpu and mobo are good overclockers you should be able to get it to 2.6ghz with not too much effort and as far as 2.8ghz on air alone....Thats amd x2 5000 performance which is still a good cpu....

Throwing €250 at it,will make a huge difference....

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342330 Ati 3870

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327454 1gb Ram

Monitor is a bargain btw

ya i've kinda decided to just upgrade my old machine.. with what you said.. My not pick those models.. I've got Corsair in there so i'm going to stick with that.

I'm dropping to a 26" screen. So i'll have to get a graphics card to suit.
    thanks.

Will that card you linked to work with my Motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

right this is a blatant plug for myself but it might help you out i have a boxed unopened vista ultimate for sale at the moment for 200euro. if you considering vista then maybe that would save you a few bob that can go on a better graphics card

• Advertisement

Graphics card will work perfectly....

Are you going for a monitor or a lcd tv?

If your not going to watch tv on it,only xbox and pc I would get that monitor from overclockers that deco gave a link to,its amazing value....

Sorry Peakoutput i'm not going with Vista.

I've decided to go with this bad boy http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335671

I will be watching TV on it alot... So now i have to find a Card that will support that 32" tv and also fit my mother board,,

What about this one
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342318

or
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331406

The 3870 beats both of those...and is much cheaper than the nvidia 320mb which its faster than too....

If you can afford it and you are willing to overclock your cpu to x2 5000 levels then this card is seriously fast (joint fastest card available) and some what of a bargain...

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4TZ4&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=8800gts&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0 8800gts 512mb 261 euro...

I HAVE SAME PC AS YOU amd 4400x2 dual core ,2gig ram,7300pci-e card,256meg ram,i,m running crysis at medium detail,low textures,low shadows,low reflections etc,it runs fast ,its a beautiful game.crysis at 1024x768 ,cpu utilisation 4percent,pagefile 370meg.IF I had a 1950 graphics card i could run it a better graphics level, all you need is a fast graphics card,at least 300vram,you might see a small improvement if you get another 2gig ram, winxp only can use 3.5 ram maximum.WITH new card you will be able to play games in hi resolutions,with fast frames per second.DOWNLOAD THE CRYSIS DEMO ,try it be4 you buy it.for example the 8800 is around 4times faster than my 7300 card.ANY cpu over 4000+ the graphics card does 85percent of the work,for games like bioshock,cod4,crysis.
    IN 2years time maybe it might make sense buy a new pc,if you find new games are running slightly slower than you wish.MAXIMUM pc says vista runs games 10percent slower than xp,a gaming pc needs 4gig ram to run vista at full speed,I WOULD not advise any gamer to buy vista, unless you have 2grand to buy a brand new pc,id pay maybe 30euro for vista ,if i could afford
    2buy a new pc,but im very happy with my present pc,for financial reasons ill be buyiong a faster card in march,probably from adverts.ie.
    Cos i build my own pcs, vista has nothing at all 2 offer me,cos i like to run games at full speed if possible.
    MY advice get a new card,plus a widescreen tv,with connections for xbox360,
    and vgA,OR DVI in for pc ,and hdmi interface.4 PC games i prefer a 20 inch monitor,i use my 32inch hd tv for the 360 console.TRY and get a card with hdmi out,or dvi and HDTV OUT.
    I CAN PLAY PC GAMES ON MY TV AT 1280 resolution,and it looks great ,its a samsung hd crt tv.

if you afford it buy an 8800 card the latest,model if you are a real,hardcore gamer,id prefer to buy from kompett.ie or an uk,website in case you may need to send it back.theres plenty of cards on kompett that are fast round 150euro approx.you,ll really need a 32inch tv for the 360,i recommend plasma tvs,much better picture quality on sdtv,ie ntl,sky tv etc.

sorry guys but will this ram do me ?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=311352

sorry guys but will this ram do me ?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=311352

Will do fine....

Bit expensive mind,dont think an extra gig is worth it a that price,better off putting it towards a graphics card imo

you could attach standard monitor for webrowsing,and use cable 2 to 32inch tv for games, set icons to large.GO TO CRUCIAL.COM for online memory scan.Ihave same cpu,asus mobo with 3200 ddr sdram as in your previous post.to use a tv for web browsing would be bad for your eyesite.Download cpuid prog for more info on your pc chipset.

• Advertisement

i have CPU-Z this is what it says for the ram
    DIMM #1

General
    Memory type		DDR-SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID)	Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
    Size			512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth		PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Part number		VS512MB400        
    Manufacturing date	Week 00/Year 00

Attributes
    Number of banks		2
    Data width		64 bits
    Correction		None
    Registered		no
    Buffered		no

Timings table
    Frequency (MHz)		200	
    CAS#			2.5	
    RAS# to CAS# delay	3	
    RAS# Precharge		3	
    TRAS#			8	

DIMM #2

General
    Memory type		DDR-SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID)	Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
    Size			512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth		PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Part number		VS512MB400        
    Manufacturing date	Week 00/Year 00

Attributes
    Number of banks		2
    Data width		64 bits
    Correction		None
    Registered		no
    Buffered		no

Timings table
    Frequency (MHz)		200