Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CL One - new Chinese

Options
  • 31-12-2007 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Anyway been there yet? It opened tonight and I couldnt resist a visit! There was about 20 others there so I think everyone else had the same idea! Had Chili and salt squid gorgeous, also the Satay and the Prawns in batter and chilli. Friendly staff. And you get chopsticks! Thought they did well for a first day opening...pity Pizza's 'N Cream in Eden Gate couldn't have got it together as well!...or maybe they will?... :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Had the chilli squid, duck and fried rice - was all gorgeous! V impressed. Was a bit crazy in there alright and had to wait ages but thats only to be expected on their first night open. Judging by the amount of people there last night Id say they will be busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

They'd wanna have a look at their front door though as there was a nasty sqreek off it last night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Dropped in on the first night of opening after haiving a few pints up the town and was very disapointed with the food we got.

The waiting area for a start had a mad breeze running through it, door was closed but breeze seemed to get in via the door frame.

The food we got:

Honey Ribs:Where very dry and tasteless
    Chicken Curry:Very sweat and tasted funny(like washing up liquid) !!
    Chips: These where great
    Chicken Balls:Over Cooked, Though as Boots, the worst I have ever tasted.

Overall it was disapointing and the Mrs agreed the same on what I brought home for herself, will try again in 2 or 3 weeks once they settle down.

First impression quite poor - rang for delivery, was quoted 30 mins, but food arrived after 75! Food was extremely salty, chicken balls were the worst I've ever had too - literally old boots in batter! Didn't feel so good afterwards either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

That's a shame, I have been twice and impressed both times. Chilli and salt squid starter was gorgeous, the satay is fab and the prawns in batter with honey chilli are lovely and great big quality prawns - my flatmate also there yesterday and had the duck in pancakes, lovely she said, though slight liquorice taste which she hates. The wind in the door as it is not closing properly is annoying I agree, but sure they are bount to fix that by hounding their builder. All chinese staff there too which is good for an ethnical restaurant, the real thing!..and they are very friendly. So thumbs up from me again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

I went there the first night aswell. Got Sweet and sour chicken hongkong style. Don't think that the sauces have had a chance to gelatinise properly. They aren't made long enough. Curry sauce and S&S apparently need to be made about a week in advance and I only saw them working there about 2-3 days before then. S&S sauce was a bit like a vinegar syrup. Vegetables in it were lovely though and I thought the chicken was fab - melt in mouth not tough at all.

Took 20 mins from walking in door and ordering to walkign out with food. No hassles at all. I think they are very clever to have the gimmick of the kitchen being open, psychologically (sp?) people always believe that when they can see it being cooked that it absolutely must be brilliant. However I do feel that this added to the madness the first evening and with the noise etc the decision may have to be reviewed.

The right side of the door is gaping open leaving a horrendous draft when standing at the left counter side. If they locked this side and had the left side door open it would probably solve this without much hassle.

5 people cooking is madness - I presume that 2-3 of these were prepping and not cooking.

All in all I would go again - definitely has potential but giving it a few weeks to get the sauces sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Have to say after working in the restaurant business for a long time I hope you all give this place a second chance. No place wants to give a bad first impression but a bad one can kill a business so give it a chance and give a bad post (if needed) After one or two tries. No one wants the Charlesland centre to be a ghost town. And don't forget to post about the good business' as well as the bad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Well said Foxy.

Had planned to get food there last night, but the waiting area was totally mobbed and it looked a little chaotic. Add to that I was absolutely starving and didn't want to wait, so it was next door for pizza instead (thanks to Astrofluff for planting that seed in my mind - I met him on my way across as he came back from Godfather's).

The kitchen looks clean and I for one like that you can see your food being prepared. I've never been comfortable with the notion of food coming through a hatch or a narrow gap in the door as you have absolutely no idea what's going on!

Best of luck to them and I reckon I'll give them a try on Friday instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

We had a take away on the first night of opening and thought it was as good as any Chinese take away currently in Greystones.

I must have phoned in my order at the right trime as it was ready for collection with in 10 mins!! The price is competitive and the open kitchen a good thing for me.

It felt great being able to walk down and collect from a local business. Our take away money will be switch to these guys in 2008. Good luck to them and i wish them all the very best in their new business venture.

Now we just need an indian take away.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We had a take away on the first night of opening and thought it was as good as any Chinese take away currently in Greystones.

I must have phoned in my order at the right trime as it was ready for collection with in 10 mins!! The price is competitive and the open kitchen a good thing for me.

It felt great being able to walk down and collect from a local business. Our take away money will be switch to these guys in 2008. Good luck to them and i wish them all the very best in their new business venture.

Now we just need an indian take away.......
    the indian spice....on the main street, beside Xtra Vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tauren wrote: »
    the indian spice....on the main street, beside Xtra Vision.

I second that recommendation

Chakra also do take-out though they don't publicise it (don't think they deliver either)

I think DT meant it would be great to have an Indian takeaway in Charlesland...

But I agree, Indian Spice is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Indian Spice is not great. Its fantastic. chakra early bird menu is also an introduction to premium quality Indian dining. Milas is pretty good too. I think we are spoilt for choice with indian to be honest. Still, no complaint. Just get us an authentic Thai.

Indian Speice is probably the best indian takeaway in the country, and Chakra one of the bext restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

Yes...i was suggesting getting an Indian take away in Charlesland would be great and add to the competition.

I don't rate Indian Spice at all, I guess its indivdual taste. Now Chakra i think is fantastic, but expensive for a weekly take out.

Bring Milas Kitchen to Charlesland good value and good food.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Bring Milas Kitchen to Charlesland good value and good food.......
    I had a take-out from Millas last week. It tasted more like Bolognese than curry.
    Very dissapointed with it but must admit it has always been excellent prior to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fil6162

Thought food was great - Special Fried Rice & Singapore Noodles Crispy beef & Spare Ribs- phoned in order told 10 mins ready in 15 (was able to pick up wine in Supperquinn)

Will have to limit it to 2 visits a month otherwise waistline wont take it - Happy New Year to all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Had the Chicken Chow Mein. Was grand. Busy anytime I go by. Woman was very friendly behind the counter.

Just been down there again!..wish it wasn't so good! I really love the Chilli squid; and the ladies that work down there are so nice. Looks like from the majority of the comments above that they seem to be doing a good job there so far. Wish they weren't...not good for my NY resolutions!!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Yes...i was suggesting getting an Indian take away in Charlesland would be great and add to the competition.

I don't rate Indian Spice at all, I guess its indivdual taste.
    Individual taste? Maybe. But then again maybe not. Indian spice has a Bridgestone guide rating. Chakra for the early bird menu if you want quality at value prices, but I agree not for take away. Small bit of trivia. With Chakra, The hungry Monk, Marc Michels, La Paysan(closed), Indian Spice; All are rated in Irelands Top 100 restaurants by Paulo Tullio; The only other place in Ireland with such a concentration(with ratings) is Kenmare or Dublin CBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Got our first one tonight.. She said she probably would get one from there agian, but for me..? I would, defo.. really nice.. mushrooms are the best I've tasted...
    Bit many staff doing nothing behind the counter e.g. hold bag open ready for the chefs to put the food in as such.... Still.... Fumms up from me...:D

@ the big cheese.... Am i out of the bad the bad books yet ...?? :p

We'll step down to defcon 3... :)

Was there again and had the Aromatic Duck - gorgeous! However, the chips aren't so good, but nothing will ever beat "Jokers" (Al Cominos!?) chips. When I was there once, they told me that they cook the chips in lard which is why they are different (and far superior in my opinion) to everywhere else....but heartache on a plate...! So, have to try to ban myself fromgoing there for the NY!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I don't think I have ever had nice chips out of any chinese. Don't know how they cook them but they are usually very dry.

I saw a group of people at Siam Thai last week having chips with their meal. Sad. In a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Am I the only one who thinks the food is dire? I got what was supposed to be hot garlic fillet of beef. I can think of at least 2 things that were wrong with that title. Also the salty chilly king prawns were awful.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

but still can't get a handle on the name - it still looks like "a-one" to me.

And my daughter thought the sign looked like "clone" ... hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I ordered from CL One last night and in my opinion it was the worst Chinese food i have eaten in a long time. I had a Duck red curry the duck was ok but there was also a lot of fatty skin in the dish and the curry was dreadful, my wife had the Chicken Chowmein, this was even worse, there was some sort of stodgy sauce poured all over it that resembled wall paper paste. I know some people would say give it a second chance but why should i when i know i can get better takeaway else where.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

EMPM wrote: »
    I ordered from CL One last night and in my opinion it was the worst Chinese food i have eaten in a long time. I had a Duck red curry the duck was ok but there was also a lot of fatty skin in the dish and the curry was dreadful, my wife had the Chicken Chowmein, this was even worse, there was some sort of stodgy sauce poured all over it that resembled wall paper paste. I know some people would say give it a second chance but why should i when i know i can get better takeaway else where.

Bottom line is that this is a very good, clean & friendly chinese take away.

We ordered a variety of food from the menu & compltely agree with MegFi's comments about how tasty it is. :)

Advertisement