Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CL One - new Chinese

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

Sorry to disagree Dubrunner, but in my opinion it was only okay.

We ordered salt and chilli prawns and salt and chilli squid for starters. Both were soggy but in fairness this is the norm with the plastic trays. I think the foil ones keep the salt and chilli stuff better. I thought they were nice but the OH didn't really like either of them (she does usually like these starters).

Both were 7 euro and in fairness the portions were big.

For main course I got the beef with black pepper sauce and fried rice. Again I thought this was okay, but the sauce was a little strange...sweeter than I'm used to or something. Fried rice was only okay too.

OH got salt and chilli chicken, boiled rice and curry sauce for main course. In both of our opinions the curry sauce was terrible. The chicken was good.

Total cost €33.

Another personal complaint is a lack of chicken wings on the menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I was quite impressed with the curry sauce. Its not your average , its got a little kick to it, more peppery heat than chilli hot.
    I have to admit I'm as bad as the next person at complaining but we're talking about a Chinese take-away here, if its too slow we complain, if its not up to standards we complain. Its difficult to get that balance right. Its not high class food, its fast food!! And with 50+ dishes on the menu its very hard for everying to be excellent.

What I've experienced so far:
    Chicken curry - Peppery sauce, tender chicken, needs more veg 8/10
    King Prawn Chow Mein - Lots of prawns, skinny noodles a plus for me and good selection of veg. 8/10
    Sweet n' Sour Pork Cantonese - A little bland, didn't manage to retain the crunch to the batter 5/10
    Prawns in batter - Nice prawns, outer batter had a nice crunch but a little doughy inside 7/10
    Spring Rolls - Good flavour, maybe a little too much filo pastry 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

we've ordered from there 4 times now, and guess what 4 times they've got the order wrong.

like they have it written down right, but when we get it its completly wrong. they should check their orders before they send them out. The food is alright, curry is a bit tasteless.

pad thai was good but the noodles were overdone.
    chicken balls are constantly tough as a jockey's bo**ox
    chicken curry was excellent, chicken was very succulent.
    pancake rolls are alright, think wong's ones are nicer.
    sweet and sour sauce is glow in the dark and stains white plates! but nice ;o)
    they sent prawn balls the other night, they weren't on our order but they looked good!

going to try the squid and aromatic duck next time sounds like they might be a winner! but ill be collecting them next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I think it is good to bear in mind that they are new. They have a sign on their window looking for drivers. When I was in the shop they made every effort to serve me politely. I think for now they should be given the benefit of the doubt until they get settled. Imagine setting up shop in a housing estate full of such a hungry talkative bunch... Tough enough I say!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I've had a few meals there, each time I called in advance and the order has been correct. The staff are very friendly.

I've liked the food, yes the curry is great. A couple of nice britney spears and a good ruby murray, just fantastic.:) I'm sure you agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

MegFi wrote: »
    Was there again and had the Aromatic Duck - gorgeous! However, the chips aren't so good, but nothing will ever beat "Jokers" (Al Cominos!?) chips. When I was there once, they told me that they cook the chips in lard which is why they are different (and far superior in my opinion) to everywhere else....but heartache on a plate...! So, have to try to ban myself fromgoing there for the NY!! :rolleyes:
    Pineto uses lard too as does Henry and Rose in fact most chippers use it so it's not the lard!;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rose2008

Have eaten here a few times since it opened. Got speaking to the lady behind the counter the other day, she is lovely. :) She told me they are trying to sort out the door. She was very interested in feed back and they have been printing off the comments from here.
    I have to say the food is great! I loved the aromatic duck, the spring rolls were fantastic, fillet of Beef with green pepper and black bean sauce was to die for…:D
    The curry sauce was a little watery for my liking and the container it came in I don’t think was the best design for hot liquid. Prefer the chips from the royal park but we have not ordered from there since this one opened!

Lets hope it stays good!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Rose2008 wrote: »
    Got speaking to the lady behind the counter the other day, she is lovely. :) She told me they are trying to sort out the door. She was very interested in feed back and they have been printing off the comments from here.
    QUOTE]
    That was me - I told her to check it out! She was really interested and asked me to spell the web address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It gets my seal of approval too. I've had stuff from there twice now. Great both times.

It is draughty there but who cares! It's not like you have to eat your food in the waiting area.

Two thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have eaten here a few times since it opened. Got speaking to the lady behind the counter the other day, she is lovely. :) She told me they are trying to sort out the door. She was very interested in feed back and they have been printing off the comments from here.
    I have to say the food is great! I loved the aromatic duck, the spring rolls were fantastic, fillet of Beef with green pepper and black bean sauce was to die for…:D
    The curry sauce was a little watery for my liking and the container it came in I don’t think was the best design for hot liquid. Prefer the chips from the royal park but we have not ordered from there since this one opened!

Lets hope it stays good!

Hopefully they print off ths comment then.....

SALT AND CHILLY CHICKEN WINGS!!! GET THEM ON EH MENU!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

:) And get edible chicken balls!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Got the Sweet & Sour Chicken Hong Kong Style Tastless tbh and whats with everything swimming in sauce? for a proper chinese go to Cherry Blossom in Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

for a proper chinese go to Cherry Blossom in Greystones

I got a meal from CL1 tonight and I think it's WAY better than the Cherry Blossom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jenc

I've Eaten in from both the Cherry Blossom and CL one. It's a personal prefrence but I certainly prefer the food from the Cherry Blossom. It's a bit of a Greystones secret as it looks a little dinghy from the outside but the food is excellent. They don't use MSG (or monosodium glutamate) which is a good thing too.

PS- This does not mean CL one use it in fact I'm pretty sure they don't but some dodgy take outs do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

This thread has gone way off topic, from discussing our new Chinese to who does and doesn't use MSG.

Thread locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This thread has gone way off topic, from discussing our new Chinese to who does and doesn't use MSG.

Thread locked.

I have pruned off the MSG stuff to the recycle bin, so re-opening this one. Please keep it on topic folks.

Glad this is open again - I love reading what is good to eat!!! (sad!? :p)
    More food recommended....
    - just had the spring roll - nice ungreasy and quite homemade chunks veg in it (but not much), won ton soup (ok-ish if you like soup!) and chicken with black bean sauce (nice-ish)...but nothing beats teh chilli and salt squid! ;)
    Anyone try any ogf the duck mains yet? Curious!

:)

Was a bit peeved of when I saw this thread closed.
    It's great to see what other people recommend to eat instead of ordering the same thing all the time.
    On another note my friend had chicken balls last night and she said they were lovely. I am not a chicken ball so I can’t comment but maybe they have changed??
    I had beef ginger and spring onion delish!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

have been reading this thread over the last few weeks and have to stick in my own recommendations. we've tried a good few of the specials. the pad thai is fabulous. the duck red curry is to die for and the beef fillet with mustard greens is really unusual but delicious - kind of like sweet and sour without the sweet! i think it's great that they have some more unusual dishes on the menu and not just the run of the mill ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I am also glad the thread has reopened, Thank You Eoin.

I have dined in CL One a number of times now and my findings are;

1: Like so many of the others, the Squid with Chilli & Salt is great.
    2: Pandan Chicken, I wouldn't get again.
    3: Pramn Curry is magnificant.
    4: Roast Duck Szechuan was also very good.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Was a bit peeved of when I saw this thread closed.

Why not be peeved off when the latter half of a thread is entirely off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eoin_s wrote: »
    Why not be peeved off when the latter half of a thread is entirely off topic...

Latter half? It was just over half of one page - 13 posts or something like that! Also, entirely off topic? surely the use of flavourings that people might not want in their food is a little on topic at least.

Anywho....

Order from CL One at the weekend. Didn't like the Pandan chicken; but then I had no idea what it was so for all i know it could be the nicest Pandan Chicken in the world but just not to my taste. had the regular ol' chicken curry with boiled rice; thought it was nicer than the offerings from either Cherry Blossom or Scent Garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Glad this is open again - I love reading what is good to eat!!! (sad!? :p)
    More food recommended....
    - just had the spring roll - nice ungreasy and quite homemade chunks veg in it (but not much), won ton soup (ok-ish if you like soup!) and chicken with black bean sauce (nice-ish)...but nothing beats teh chilli and salt squid! ;)
    Anyone try any ogf the duck mains yet? Curious!

:)

Duck in plum sauce - was yum!! Both times!

My boyfriend got the spring rolls he says there best he has ever had. He also tried the beef satay, not something we have ever ordered a bit gooey but he said it tasted nice and the beef was not tough!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

My latest in the 'Aul' One was the house special curry. Couldn't decided on either the chicken or prawn so this was perfect. Its got chicken, prawn, beef AND duck!!!! And they're not tight with any of them. Was great!!
    Went for the Prawn toast to start. It would have been good only the plastic container tends to make it very soggy. Next time I order prawn toast I'll ask for it to be put in a paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Was there again and had the Aromatic Duck - gorgeous! However, the chips aren't so good, but nothing will ever beat "Jokers" (Al Cominos!?) chips. When I was there once, they told me that they cook the chips in lard which is why they are different (and far superior in my opinion) to everywhere else....but heartache on a plate...! So, have to try to ban myself fromgoing there for the NY!! :rolleyes:

pretty much every chipper cook their chips in lard. im not sure about joes, but pintos do and most of the ones in bray do aswell thats why lots of vegetarians cant eat chipper food veggie burgers are cooked in lard! little bit of useless info 4 ya's!

now, from constantly reading this thread, I have a list of what I want to get and try so am going there far too often! Have tried the red curry duck - was nice-ish, nice flavour but a bit watery - lemon grass in there and lots mushrooms! Also tried the starter - chiken pad thai/n with honey chilli sauce or somthing - pieces of chicken wrapped in a type of leaves, with a dipping suace. V moist but unusual - wouldn't be to my taste!
    But mostly, I am ADDICTED to the Chilli & Salt Squid!
    Still have to taste the Duck w/Plum Sce, Beef w/Mustard Greens, from reading the above.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

tried it tonight, got the sweet and sour chicken balls, have to say i thought they were lovely! no complaints from me, huge portions, could share one between two people¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Starsie

:o Look forward to trying this restraunt when we get to Greystones in September.

Had chinese meals all over the world, from Oz, to Singapore, to the USA and Germany and the UK. Funnily enough, it does differ from each country you are in.

Cant wait to try the duck in plum sauce.. sounds GREAT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Starsie wrote: »
    :o Look forward to trying this restraunt when we get to Greystones in September.

Hi Starsie...good luck with the trip over.

CL One isn't a restaurant - If you were thinking you'd get a sit-down meal, you do get to sit down alright, just while you wait for your food but then again it can be quite busy so arrive early for a seat! BTW it's a take-away.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement