Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new rig.

Options
  • 31-12-2007 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

yo, got a new build and will most definitely overclock. just need re-assurance that i've got a good thing going on here... decided to to go with the p35 instead of waiting for x38 but controversially going DDR3... was always an ATI man too (last card i got was the 1950 pro, great card) but feel like a change seeing as nVidia ruled 2007 with the 8800 series..
    the purpose is gaming.
    it's a complete new build so budget includes mouse&keyboard etc etc..

so here it is (budget is €2000):

Asus EN 8800 GT €260
    Core2 Quad q6600 (G0 stepping!! :))€200
    asus P5K3 deluxe €174
    corsair twin3X DDR3, 1333mhz €276
    Seasonic M12 700W €192
    samsung spinpoint T166 500gig x2 €195
    Antec p180 €142
    Samsung 20" 206BW €255
    creative x-fi music €82
    logitech mx518 €46
    logitech keyboard €20
    logitech x-230 2.1 speakers €46
    NEC dvd rw €30
    floppy €10
    senheisser HD 280 pro headphones €80

so any glaring mistakes? or advice or anything?
    any comment is greatly appreciated...;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

the raven wrote: »
    yo, got a new build and will most definitely overclock. just need re-assurance that i've got a good thing going on here... decided to to go with the p35 instead of waiting for x38 but controversially going DDR3... was always an ATI man too (last card i got was the 1950 pro, great card) but feel like a change seeing as nVidia ruled 2007 with the 8800 series..
    the purpose is gaming.
    it's a complete new build so budget includes mouse&keyboard etc etc..

so here it is (budget is €2000):

Asus EN 8800 GT €260
    Core2 Quad q6600 (G0 stepping!! :))€200
    asus P5K3 deluxe €174
    corsair twin3X DDR3, 1333mhz €276
    Seasonic M12 700W €192
    samsung spinpoint T166 500gig x2 €195
    Antec p180 €142
    Samsung 20" 206BW €255
    creative x-fi music €82
    logitech mx518 €46
    logitech keyboard €20
    logitech x-230 2.1 speakers €46
    NEC dvd rw €30
    floppy €10
    senheisser HD 280 pro headphones €80

so any glaring mistakes? or advice or anything?
    any comment is greatly appreciated...;)

change the samsungs to seagates 7200.11
    go for ddr2 ,ddr3 is tripe for what you pay and you can get a nice x38 board.

also this is the wrong forum ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Any why get such a nice build and then ruin it with a tiny 20" screen ?

Moving to building & upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

awhir wrote: »
    change the samsungs to seagates 7200.11

Did those Samsung's not come top of the PCFormat HD test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Archytas wrote: »
    Did those Samsung's not come top of the PCFormat HD test?

They do indeed. Beter performance, better price and quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

the seagate 7200.11 are the fastest 7200rpm drives on the market.

dont bother with all that tripe from magazines and also the samsung doesent beat a raptor

15059.png

15039.png

as you can see even the older seagates beat the samsung.

also the seagate has 16mb+ cache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

to be honest i really think the differences between hard drives is negligible at this stage. i've had seagate's and deskstar's before, found both sound in my experience (tho never the quietest), but i've always heard the best things about the spinpoint and thought i'd try em out this time round...

yeah Anti, you've got me reconsidering about the screen alright... recommend a decent 22" or 24" that's within the budget?

Did you post the wrong images by accident? The samsung beats the Seagates in the 1st one... and in the second one the difference is so negligible you're not even going to see the difference - 0.2 of a second? *Edited - See below*

As anti said - cheaper and quieter too.

Note - Actually, I was put off by your images... You're talking about the 7200.11 which indeed has 32MB cache. Apologies.

For €40 more than the 20" you can get the same samsung but in the 22" flavour. You're losing a little sharpness but I love the difference that I see between my old 21" 4:3 that I have now with my 22" widescreen.

Archytas wrote: »
    For €40 more than the 20" you can get the same samsung but in the 22" flavour. You're losing a little sharpness but I love the difference that I see between my old 21" 4:3 that I have now with my 22" widescreen.

yeah i was looking at that one alright, but this puts me off:
    There is some color problems with this monitor, Grey shows as Blue-ish, and red is too saturated, Black is more a deep grey instead. If you lower the color tone, then its like watching a Black&white TV
    it's a user review on the page for the 226BW on komplett.ie..

do you half any gripe with the colour on yours?
    another thing is that the 22" and the 20" share the same native resolution so the image on the 20" (in theory) would look better. has anyone experienced this?

this rig should last me the next few years, hence the willingness to future-proof by going DDR3. i only ever upgrade with a graphics card maybe once a year so i need the other components to have some lasting effect...
    my previous machine was a p4, agp, ddr1 and i still had high frame rates until Company of Heroes... y'see, it's crysis i have my eye on now...

yeah i was looking at that one alright, but this puts me off:
    it's a user review on the page for the 226BW on komplett.ie..
    do you half any gripe with the colour on yours? ...

this is a well known issue unfortunately - and has to do with the 3 "different" 226BW's on the market. There's an S version, A and C version - A and C suck. S is absolutely superb.
    another thing is that the 22" and the 20" share the same native resolution so the image on the 20" (in theory) would look better. has anyone experienced this? ...
    This is true. As I said earlier you're losing sharpness. 1680 x 1050 is the native res for 20" widescreens. When you go up to 22" you're "stretching" the pixels just a little bit to be bigger as the size has changed but the number of pixels hasn't.
    y'see, it's crysis i have my eye on now...

Quality game - playing through it now... tough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

this is a well known issue unfortunately - and has to do with the 3 "different" 226BW's on the market. There's an S version, A and C version - A and C suck. S is absolutely superb.

it doesnt make cock of a difference , the only thing is one of the panels come pre set up the other 2 dont , it takes 2 minutes and they come with all the cd's and stuff :P

papu wrote: »
    it doesnt make cock of a difference , the only thing is one of the panels come pre set up the other 2 dont , it takes 2 minutes and they come with all the cd's and stuff :P

I've spoken to people who've been playing around with monitors for years and they say there is a noticeable difference between the models. Built in different factories, by different companies. There are alot, alot, of threads about this out there.

i know i have a 226bw , and i dont care what panel it is , im loving it , sure if your a professional monitor tester the alpha phase testing gamma display tester unit might be a little red or what ever , it doesnt ghost , it doesnt bleed , it doesnt lag , it doesnt explode

it works..

papu wrote: »
    i know i have a 226bw , and i dont care what panel it is , im loving it , sure if your a professional monitor tester the alpha phase testing gamma display tester unit might be a little red or what ever , it doesnt ghost , it doesnt bleed , it doesnt lag , it doesnt explode

it works..

yeah, sounds about right to me so... may go for it. need more deliberation.

anyway, thanks for all the comments people! they've helped :)

gj you wont be dissapointed whatever you choose unless it blows up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you plan on overclocking a quad, you might want to get some decent cooling on either water or air :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

yeah, sounds about right to me so... may go for it. need more deliberation.

anyway, thanks for all the comments people! they've helped :)

i have one too. they're feckin great monitors

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If you plan on overclocking a quad, you might want to get some decent cooling on either water or air :)

yeah i have an arctic freezer 7, i ain't no fool:D!

Advertisement