Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car issues

Options
  • 31-12-2007 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

I posted the following on a BMW forum, but I'm posting it here too incase anyone has any ideas.

I was a bit of an idiot tonight and decided to try and turn my car around in a field. Unfortunately my E36 316 decided to dig holes into the ground and soon got stuck. We spent a good 30 minutes trying to get it out using various techniques. However, we'd only get it less than a foot before getting stuck again. Eventually, my friend's step-dad came and towed us out in his Mercedes M-Class. (Unfortunately he didn't have a BMW X5) However, it dragged my car out of the mud as if it was a toy car.

On the way home, I noticed that the car vibrates somewhat. I can feel it on the steering wheel and the passengers in the back seemed to think it was coming from the rear. (although I am not 100% sure whether or not it actually was) This vibration issue is only apparent at relatively fast speeds. (70mph+) Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'd say the tracking is out.

Your tracking was probably knocked off when it was yanked out of the ground.
    Or
    It is possible you lost a balance weight from your rim when it was being spun in the clay trying to get out. An incorrectlly balanced wheel will vibrate more at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Just needs a wheel alignment id say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Could it be mud on the inside of the wheel throwing off the balancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

probably just mud on the wheels, throwing off the balance - it only takes 10 grammes to f**k it all up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

1...What were you doing in a field in a bmw?

2....What difference would it make if he had an x5...? ,dont you watch top gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Nothing wrong with X5's, I have one and it works just as good as any other 4x4 off road too. Do you believe everything you hear on Top Gear? They do tend to be a bit biased towards Range Rovers, I had one and it was a total heap of sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

junkyard wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with X5's, I have one and it works just as good as any other 4x4 off road too. Do you believe everything you hear on Top Gear? They do tend to be a bit biased towards Range Rovers, I had one and it was a total heap of sh*te.

That maybe so but the comment in the Op is no less baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

My first suspicion would be mud in the wheels all right.
    Ideally, the correct thing to do is to take the wheels off and give them a good blast of a power washer, and give the hubs/suspension/brakes/wheel arches a good clean up at the same time too.
    We get this all the time with the off-roaders, but then, we're ploughing through muck that's coming over the bonnet and in the window. :D

If you have vented/cross drilled brake discs, inspect them closely too as their cooling efficiency and balance will be adversely effected by mud clogging them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

I want a 4x4 now. I can't go anywhere in my car unless it has a concrete or asphalt surface, or I'm doomed. I guess that's to be expected, but it's not good for where I live.

I meant turn around as in turn around and face the opposite way. The road was narrow and a several point turn would have been required to turn the vehicle. Saloons are more hassle to reverse too, so I felt the easiest option was to turn it around in a field. That said, I was in first gear and I did try and drift the back end a bit, but I got stuck before I knew anything else.

I want:

2007-bmw-x5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The older X5 is far nicer in most ways to the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I can't go anywhere in my car unless it has a concrete or asphalt surface, or I'm doomed.
    I hope your not shocked by this? how long have you been driving??
    I meant turn around as in turn around and face the opposite way. The road was narrow and a several point turn would have been required to turn the vehicle. Saloons are more hassle to reverse too, so I felt the easiest option was to turn it around in a field. That said, I was in first gear and I did try and drift the back end a bit, but I got stuck before I knew anything else.

Why didn't you just turn around in the entrance to the field?? It sounds like you drove straight into the field and were messing about drift etc.... To cause the back end to drift you must of been going quite fast....

I guess your not driving very long based on your "Saloons are more hassle to reverse" comment, just put it down to experience.... Do you think a 4x4 would be easier to reverse...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Probably mud on inside of wheels all right. Huge lumps I'd say!

Not your ornery onager

Do you think a 4x4 would be easier to reverse...

Harder to drift thank god. We could start a fund to buy OP his 4X4:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I want a 4x4 now. I can't go anywhere in my car unless it has a concrete or asphalt surface, or I'm doomed. I guess that's to be expected, but it's not good for where I live.

I want:

2007-bmw-x5.jpg

Don't forget a 4x4 can also get stuck, espically with road tyres. And when they get stuck you'd need a tractor to get it out, why not go straight for the tractor (4x4 if you want) and then you can go nearly anywhere:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

esel wrote: »
    Probably mud on inside of wheels all right.
    +1

Del2005 wrote: »
    why not go straight for the tractor (4x4 if you want) and then you can go nearly anywhere:D

+1 :D

A tractor should be easier to reverse than a salon car also, as your sitting over the back wheels... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

+1 :D

A tractor should be easier to reverse than a salon car also, as your sitting over the back wheels... ;)

Plus you get that commanding-view-of-the-road all the 4x4 drivers crave. Scare teh sh!te out of the yummy-mummies in Dundrum carpark though...

cjt156 wrote: »
    Plus you get that commanding-view-of-the-road all the 4x4 drivers crave. Scare teh sh!te out of the yummy-mummies in Dundrum carpark though...

That's an excellent point... Also if you hitch up a trailer you would have lots of room for all the stuff for the kids ( another common reason to buy a 4x4 )....

If any of the PC brigade accuse you of not being Green and damaging the environment, you could tell them its ok your using Green Diesel! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

john-deere-9620.JPG

this should do nicely :D

• Advertisement

BUAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahah........ooohhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

siralfalot wrote: »
    john-deere-9620.JPG

this should do nicely :D

my 8x8 kicks your 4x4's ass!

Advertisement