Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall insulation (panels?) on a budget??

Options
  • 31-12-2007 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

UltraBroc23.jpg
    106875.jpg

Hi.

I'm considering spending a little cash on reducing sound leakage from my studio room, - it would also hopefully serve to insulate a cold damp upstairs room on the Southern corner or our home here in Glasnevin.

The idea is to hit 2 birds with one stone as far as insulating the room both thermally and acoustically, for as little as possible!

Sound proofing is not the objective, as it is a family home and I'm on a very tight budget (couple of hundred max), but I would like to reduce the amount of sound that penetrates through two of the walls in my studio, aswell as possibly the door. Ideally, all of the walls could be done.

At this stage I'm thinking it might be a good start to fit wooden or cork panels to the walls, or even better some sort of hard panels which have a layer of fiberglass foam inside.

Does anyone know of a good (preferably retail) supplier of panels which would do the job, or indeed any interesting ideas for materials which I could use?????

It doesn't have to be super neat, for example, I'd be happy to use some old doors filled with foam. The surface will most likely be covered with soft acoustic treatment at some stage anyway.

Because of my very tight budget, it would be ideal to find a modular solution, i.e something I can do on just one wall for starters, and add to over time if needs be.

Regarding the floor, I will probably add another layer of carpet. A false floor is out of the question unfortunatly.

Please dont tell me I need to get professionals in and pay through the nose. I try not to use "professionals" for anything other than healthcare.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Any builder’s merchants will do the foam panels you allude to. Forget retail, builders merchants sell to anyone - cash still helps in some (costs them less than plastic).

Sorry not to be modern and metric but last time I bought any 2inch thick panels (4ft by 8ft) were about 28euro each and inch thick were 15euro. Even if you just buy a few delivery should be free provided you don't mind waiting a couple of days.

I haven't used any recently so have no idea of price but you can also get plasterboard with a foam backing which you bond to the wall and this might be the simplest solution for you.

Also the 1inch insulated panels could be used on the floor under a new wood floor but that’s a bit more complicated. Main cost then is in the new floor but if this is a "studio" you could use a very cheap straw board floor. OK its a bit of a lash up but if it does what you want it will be cheap and easily removed if your change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Cheers so much ttm. Thats a very helpfull reply. I'll look into finding a local builders merchants.

4'x8'' for 28 euro sounds right up my street.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If you don't mind losing a bit more floor space take a look at the 4inch (100mm) panels no idea of price but expect its about twice that of 2inch.

I think what you want is "Kingspan 50mm TP10 TW55 TF70" 2400x1200mm. The prices are in pounds at http://www.soundstop.co.uk/store/products.php but convert OK to euro to give a guide price.

http://www.soundstop.co.uk/solutions/wall_solutions/wall_solution_1.php has all the howto info you need using specific acoustic products but I guess most 50mm think insulation boards will be a good start;-)

Don't forget the attenuation will be greater at high frequencies, so you won't hear your wife screaming at you but will still hear lorrys go by outside.

Only just found the site but for acoustic solutions its one I'll add to my favorites.

btw don't get hung up on the product names, kingspan is manufacturer and most builders merchants will sell either their or near identical competing products. In fact you could easily order kingspan and get another brand - thats some builders merchants for you.

You're a star TTM.

My father tells me the nearest building merchants to Glasnevin is Richmond building supplier, but googling tells me its in Rathcoole D15. Unless maybe he's talking about somewhere on Richmond road in Ballybok.. Hmm. I'm sure we'll find somewhere nearer.

Anyway.

I'm no DIY expert, but really looking forward to this project. The one problem for me would be bringing forward the skirting boards and power point, but my dad is handy with that kind of stuff luckily.

The aim is to get to a point where I can listen at a reasonable level without disturbing others in the house too much.

I'm not too worried about a little sound getting in, and a little bass seeping out is probably unavoidable for budget soundproofing a room, especially into the kitchen downstairs!
    I do plan on putting the new carpet on top of the existing carpet though, and placing my monitors on foam mats.

As it stands, the door and floor seem to be bigger problems than the walls, so thats something else Ill have to look into.

I suppose the first thing to do would be replace it with a solid door!

If it was my house I'd do the whole "room in a room" shebang, but not to worry, I reckon this will do nicely.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Heiton buckleys in Santry http://www.heitonbuckley.ie/santry.html
    Chadwicks in Glasnevin ,back of woodies DIY. http://www.chadwicks.ie/About/branch.asp?branch=2

Happy new year all !

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian. I'm sorted now, both places just around the corner.
    Appreciate that.

Happy new year!

Advertisement