Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid burning range!!

Options
  • 31-12-2007 4:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

My mother lives in a two bedroom house and it has 7 Rads, normal size water tank, she only has a small enough kitchen but the range is big and old anyone got any tips on them small wood / coal burners? What type of one would I need for 7 Rads and normal size tank etc etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Living with a Wood/Coal burning cooker is a life style thing. If your mother is well used to cleaning up dust and mess and carrying coal then its a great way to cook and heat the house.

Im not really sure that wood alone will provide you with enough heat to both cook and heat the rads. Its easy enough to buy coal (though getting more expensive) and store it but decent wood needs at very least storing which needs space and of course someone has to cut it split it and season it. So before thinking wood is the answer ensure you will always have a good enough supply.

The cooker that might fit the bill is the Waterford Stanley Errigal 47 but expect to burn coal on it rather then wood (Size is approx 38inch wide 35high and 23deep without the extra wings or warming box). If you have lots of free timber then a wood coal mix makes the coal last longer when you don't need max heat. Price for the model on the website is (IMHO) somthing over 4k you might get a similar (but less attractive) Waterford Stanley stove second hand in good condition for a thousand or less. Spares may become a problem on the older Stanley stoves as they don't seem to make them anymore. In fact because of the mess created using coal for cooking there always seem to be a few second hand cookers for sale that have hardly been used, I think this might be because some people like the idea of a Wood/Coal cooker untill they realise how much extra work it causes.

I haven't looked recently at any of the other stoves that might fit the bill but there are quite a few if you are prepared to hunt around, a google search should give you quite a few other options.

The Errigal is on Waterford Stanleys site www.waterfordstanley.com and Gings http://www.gings.ie/errigal.htm always come up in a goolge search so must be keen to quote a price for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bobnalong

Mate the size if them and 4,000 :eek:

I'm looking for something small for a small kitchen, able to heat up 7 radiators and normal size water tank!

I was maybe thinking about something for about 800 - 1000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bobnalong

I dont wanna cook on it!!

bobnalong wrote: »
    I dont wanna cook on it!!

Sorry Range = cooking in my books.

OK so there are loads of stoves that will do what you want. Take a look at the Blacksmiths range of stoves but I doubt you will get anything under 1500 euro in the size you need. I don't have any facts or figures to hand (just given the leaflet I had to a mate) but they do a stove at 1600 euro that should do the number of rads you require and is a good 400 euro or more cheaper than the equivalent Waterford Stanley. The Waterford Stanley models you can look at are the Erin, Grainne, Ashing and Tara. Its not may area but I guess you need a 10kw or greater back boiler for the rads and hotwater but check that out before buying. Good luck if you can get anything from Waterford Stanley for under 2k :eek:

You can save a good bit on price by sticking with a "seno" finish which is a posh way of saying matt black. All the enamal finished versions are a lot more expensive but they don't need "black leading" to keep them looking good.

Be careful if you get a second hand one as you often find burnt out stoves for sale. Signs are that the panels are warped and there are air gaps between the main panels, these can work, but burn fuel at an astonishing rate as you can't control the air flow.

May be the reason for the size of the old stove is that you have the convienience of using wood or coal, if you want a small compact unit then you are stuck with burning expensive grades of coal like anthracite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i'd definitely reccomend an enameled one over the matt finish. the matt ones will always look dirty, we have one and its a dose, my parents have an enamel one and a quick rub of a brush or a cloth and it looks perfect in seconds

• Advertisement

JohnBoy wrote: »
    i'd definitely reccomend an enameled one over the matt finish. the matt ones will always look dirty, we have one and its a dose, my parents have an enamel one and a quick rub of a brush or a cloth and it looks perfect in seconds

Quite agree but think cost is an issue here. But I like the matt black finish.

You can always get out the zebrite once a week and give a matt black one that tradition Black Lead look but thats a dirty job :( results are good though.

Thinking about it - we have 2 "seno" finish stoves in a very damp house and we don't have any problem with the dirty look, but we don't live in a modern house where "getting the look" is part of the remit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 e88n86l85c82

ttm wrote: »
    Quite agree but think cost is an issue here. But I like the matt black finish.

You can always get out the zebrite once a week and give a matt black one that tradition Black Lead look but thats a dirty job :( results are good though.

Thinking about it - we have 2 "seno" finish stoves in a very damp house and we don't have any problem with the dirty look, but we don't live in a modern house where "getting the look" is part of the remit ;)

I am looking for a Blacksmith multi fuel stove with back boiler efficient enough to heat up to 12 radiators, does anyone know where i can get a price on them in the West of Ireland.

I am looking for a Blacksmith multi fuel stove with back boiler efficient enough to heat up to 12 radiators, does anyone know where i can get a price on them in the West of Ireland, thanks.

Guess what you are looking for is this one http://www.blacksmithstoves.ie/product-forge.html

Let us know what prices you find and I'll let you know what they cost down in Waterford in the local builders merchants.

Hi, yes that's the one and I got a price of 1,700 euro, would this be anything near it?

Mary Moore.

• Advertisement

That price sounds about right - at least in the right area - might have been 1600 when I checked for someone else at the begining of the year.

I'm in town this afternoon so I'll check in the builders merchants I use.

One thing that will make a big difference to the price is the finish - black enamal or matt black (seno). Seno rusts and needs a bit more looking after whereas the more expensive enamal finish is wipe clean.

You will need a good suply of wood to keep that beast going full blast unless you are burning coal.

Also take into account spare parts. Check if any are available? There isn't much that can go wrong but if there are no spares at all then you might have a problem if/when the grate burns out in a few years time. Once apon a time I would have recommended Stanley for stoves as they HAD an excellent spares service even if the stoves were a bit more expensive. Now Stanley are over priced uncompetative and are dreadful for getting spares which I guess come from were many (most?) of these stoves are made China (OK made is the wrong word LOL the imported castings are put together in a country that puts its own "Made in XXXXX" sticker on them.)

Hi,

Do you know of any good make of Stove that could heat 14 radiators?

Let me know as i have been looking on the internet for same.

Thanks,
    Mary Moore.

Hi,

Do you know of any good make of Stove that could heat 14 radiators?

Let me know as i have been looking on the internet for same.

Thanks,
    Mary Moore.

How long is a piece of string? All depends how you measure it.

For example The Forge stove has a max 21KW output and the sales blurb says Heats 10-12 rads and another stove The Ross is 20KW yet advertises as running up to 14 rads. So the lower output unit is advertised as heating more radiators.

Anyway prices (INC VAT) from Tom Currans builders merchants in Dungravan.

The Forge Seno €1355
    The Forge Enamal €1560

The Ross (only seno) €1390 the Ross is a monster of a stove (4 man job to lift) and might well have the power to do 14 rads butwouldn't garantee it ;) if anyone knows for sure then let us all know.

So if your price was for a Seno model you need to bring a van down to Waterford but if it was for the Enamal version the price was about right.

The info I have on The Ross is on a leaflet with a Stoves Direct logo on it but no web site or other info except Tom Currans have them in stock.

btw don't get mixed up with M.J. Currans another builders merchants in Dungarvan who IMHO are more expensive.

edit> The Ross stove looks very simlar to this one http://www.stovesireland.com/stove.asp?StoveID=26&CatName=Solid Fuel Stoves 11kw+ probably the same stoves under a different name

Think this is the same as The Ross stove I was looking at in Currans http://www.eurosalve.com/proddetail.php?prod=STV2nile

Not in stock but I guess this is what you might be looking for... http://www.superstore.ie/acatalog/Hercules_Boiler_Stoves.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NicCat

There are loads of options for a boiler model stove. You just need to look carefully at what you're getting.

You might try www.mulberrystoves.com. The Mulberry Beckett heats 12 to 14 radiators comfortably and has a thermostat which is important for regulating the stove.

They are an Irish owned company unlike most of the others (Stanley owned by Aga, Blacksmith owned by German company and so on). And the stoves are all CE approved and Guaranteed Irish.

On the seno v enamel issue - I have a seno stove. Other than a preference on the look of seno or enamel, the enamel is easier to clean but can chip while the seno does fade a little over time but you can re-spray the stove with a high temperature paint and it goes back to jet black.

NicCat wrote: »
    You might try www.mulberrystoves.com. ..........
    They are an Irish owned company unlike most of the others (Stanley owned by Aga, Blacksmith owned by German company and so on). And the stoves are all CE approved and Guaranteed Irish......

And which Irish Iron foundary would they be made in ? :rolleyes:

Advertisement