Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics board outing - Iron Man?

Options
  • 31-12-2007 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

I know its ages away but Iron Man is out May 2nd and was thinking maybe an excuse for a comics board meet up [can't say your not getting a ton of notice] Would be one of the few non pub options for a meet up.

I miss going to comic book movies with a massive gang of comic nuts [filled the ziegfeld cinema in nyc for X2 - best time in a cinema ever]

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Not a bad Plan. And I'll be Doing IronMan in anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Never understood the big appeal of going to the cinema in lareg groups.

You're not there to chat and get to know people, you're there to sit quietly and enjoy a film.

There would have to be some pub-going either before or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Never understood the big appeal of going to the cinema in lareg groups.

You're not there to chat and get to know people, you're there to sit quietly and enjoy a film.

There would have to be some pub-going either before or after.

well I would assume there would be a meet up before and anyone who wanted to head off somewhere as a group would be cool. The main reason i suggested a cinema trip is because we've had a few discussions on the forum about comic meets ups and a few people who aren't over 18 or don't like pubs, complained that all the meet ups were in pubs.

Yeah you do just go and sit in the dark in the cinema, I was thinking of trips to comic related movies I went on in new york were of course everyone yells at the screen and claps and theres just an all round mad vibe. Guess it wouldn't be the same here. Luckily I'll be back in new york for the new Bat film.

Anyway twas just a suggestion thrown out there, doesn't look like theres any interest

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I meant to post here earlier - I like the idea of getting a group together for Iron Man, although getting the non-Dubliners to sign up is probably going to be a hard task. Unless we're heading to the opening night, the clapping/cheering/shouting won't be all that likely but we could always go for food before and perhaps head to a pub after or something.

Fysh wrote: »
    I meant to post here earlier - I like the idea of getting a group together for Iron Man, although it'll probably getting the non-Dubliners to sign up is probably going to be a hard task. Unless we're heading to the opening night, the clapping/cheering/shouting won't be all that likely but we could always go for food before and perhaps head to a pub after or something.

well I'll be heading to dublin to see it regardless as the kilkenny cinema has serious issue with soft focus that I can stand for some flicks but big shinny fast moving films you need the big plastic multiplex setting. Even without the yelling/clapping element the main reason I like to see comic movies with comic heads is when you leave the cinema your with people you can talk to about why it did/didn't live up to the comic.

Fysh you going to be in dublin for this? If theres no interest here I'd be tempted to head over to london, thou I need to check some dates as I'm heading to portland for con at the end of april not sure if I want to fly again so soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well I'd definitely be up for flying over to make a weekend of it, and Herself seems amenable to the idea as well. But sure if there's nobody else interested we can always arrange something for here. (Heck, if that was the case I could even be a proper nerd and make a papier-mache Iron Man suit :D)

I could even be a proper nerd and make a papier-mache Iron Man suit :D)

only if you make yourself into a pinata and we can break you open for sweets during the flick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

cool. and yes pub after to dicessect or devour the film :D

you know where to find me! (or rather, you don't, cause I've moved apt mwaa haa haa find me know black heart!!)

ztoical wrote: »
    only if you make yourself into a pinata and we can break you open for sweets during the flick

See, in my mind that just sounds wrong.

Though I have to say, if I was to attend a movie premiere in costume like that it'd have to be a costume involving a helmet of some sort, to avoid identification. (A buddy of mine made himself a stormtrooper outfit for the premiere of Phantom Menace in Leicester Square, and ended up being the only person in costume to turn up. Fortunately he had his trusty helmet so although everyone thought the guy in costume looked like a prat, they didn't know who he was...)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Iron Man's not really my cup of tea, but what about headin' to Hellboy 2 in August too?

• Advertisement

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Iron Man's not really my cup of tea, but what about headin' to Hellboy 2 in August too?

I'll be seeing in the states in the july but I wouldn't mind going again - having said that doesn't seem to be alot of people up for comic cinema outings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I whole-heartedly second that idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

I could even be a proper nerd and make a papier-mache Iron Man suit biggrin.gif

Is this you!? :P

tImage_20080105_101414801.jpg

Nope. It's half-way to impressive, except that as with the guy who made the Tron outfit discovered, those costumes really need either a cup or some form of crotch covering.

Besides, I'd go for the original grey armour, matching Adi Granov's version. Old-school FTW!

why is it that when I look at that photo [which I actually really like] I see him wearing that wolvie shirt? Dang I wish I was at my own computer so I could photoshop it on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

If this happens OP send me a PM id certainly be up for it, Ill be in Dublin for a little while around the time Iron Man is being released

right thought I'd bring the thread back to the top to see what interest is like now that we are closer to the movie release.

May 2nd - cinema in dublin* - food meet up before, drinks/food after - comments, questions, suggestions?

*would prob be an 8/9ish showing so would need to book tickets so need to pick cinema and keep an eye out for when tickets go on sale. Or would people want an earlier or later showing?

It has just dawned on me - May 2nd is a Friday, which would realistically mean I'd need to take at least a half-day to make sure I could get over there. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just means I'm wondering how many people are definitely in for this...

It has just dawned on me - May 2nd is a Friday, which would realistically mean I'd need to take at least a half-day to make sure I could get over there. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just means I'm wondering how many people are definitely in for this...

I was thinking the same - fridays not great for lots of people and I'd rather have it on the saturday to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 TheForeSkins

I was thinking the same - fridays not great for lots of people and I'd rather have it on the saturday to be honest.

Either day would be fine for me, send me a PM if this goes ahead and Id be delighted to get involved, cant wait to see this film!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Heh, I really like that video, particularly the comment about Gwyneth Paltrow coming back to reprise her 3/4 of a second role in the original trailer :D

On a crappier note, I'm going to have to bail on coming over to Dublin for the premiere as I should probably save money towards buying a new, non-crap graphics tablet (current one is acting up and probably on the fritz). Boo!

A massive amount of boards people [including myself] won tickets to Ironman Wednesday via movies.ie I'll have to skip as I'll only be flying back from Portland wednesday [Blizkreig got the tickets before anyone asks] but theres still alot of boards people going and making it into a boards bears so not really worth doing it again at the weekend. Maybe try for another movie.

Advertisement