Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rahoon Flats video

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 oBEAVISo

Jaysus its funny looking at that vid..Brings it all back.. I lived in those flats for years when i was a kid and later in life with my own children as babies before moving to redditch uk in August of 1996.It was about time anyway they were taken down. They i believe were originally made for the Army and were shipped over from Manchester i think years ago and hoisted one by one onto each other.
    They were rejected in the Uk so were offered up and as far as i am aware, as that is how i know the story, they came to be Rahoon Flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks for posting this, turns out I know one of the lads that made it :)

I remember staying with a mate's cousin in the flats years ago when we were partying teenagers. Back then there were the 'nice bits and the ****e bits'
    Some people still really took care of their places and it was like looking at pockets of 'trying' in a big pile of rubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

When i worked deliveries the flats was ALWAYS a place where you were guaranteed to get a tip.Im ashamed to say most turned their nose up at you out around my own area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

That's awesome to watch. I see Patsy Dodd got himself on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

5times wrote: »
    That's awesome to watch. I see Patsy Dodd got himself on it.

Theres probably more than one but is that Paddy Dodd from Bohermore, its 28 years since I worked with him in GTP and I often wondered what happened to him, I wouldnt recognise him now.

In December 1977 or 78 there was a christmas quiz on CB radio in Galway and as the quiz was ongoing somone poppedup in the middle of it with a mayday call for the fire brigade.The guy who did the mayday was part of the quiz and lived in Rahoon and one of the flats was on fire but no one had a phone at the time. Someone rang for the Fire brigade and the fire was extinguished without any casualties, we all felt like heroes that night and it was very exciting

• Advertisement

david1two3 wrote: »
    Theres probably more than one but is that Paddy Dodd from Bohermore, its 28 years since I worked with him in GTP and I often wondered what happened to him, I wouldnt recognise him now.

In December 1977 or 78 there was a christmas quiz on CB radio in Galway and as the quiz was ongoing somone poppedup in the middle of it with a mayday call for the fire brigade.The guy who did the mayday was part of the quiz and lived in Rahoon and one of the flats was on fire but no one had a phone at the time. Someone rang for the Fire brigade and the fire was extinguished without any casualties, we all felt like heroes that night and it was very exciting

Not sure if it's the same Patsy Dodd you are thinking of. Most of this guys family live in Inishanagh Park and he is a carpet-layer.

Nice story too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Very interesting video, I was sentenced to 5 years there and unfortunately have no good memories, and was never so glad to see them come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Great video, I remember them well. brings back some memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

5times wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the same Patsy Dodd you are thinking of. Most of this guys family live in Inishanagh Park and he is a carpet-layer.

Nice story too by the way.

Thanks 5times, the Paddy Dodd I knew was from Bohermore and on reflection it could be him. Im 45 this week so he should be about 47 .We met in Galway Textile Printers in sept/oct 79, I think it was in Sandy Row just down from the Tuam rd at its begining. We had both lost a brother that summer, he from drowning and I from cancer and for the first time in my life I had met some one who had the exact same thing going on in his life as I had. We were both heartbroken in that teenage way, almost impossible to talk about it but when I would be pissed I couldnt stop talking about it and crying my eyes out(Im doing it now). He was quite hilarious, he told me on his first day he went into the canteen and said, "my names Paddy Dodd ,if anyone fouks with me they`re dead" and left it at that. This is why I remember him so well, I remember a lot from the 70s. Tony Higgins said to me ten years ago, "your a nice fella David but you`ve got a nasty memory".

If he said that it could well be him :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 briandodd73

In this video I'm pretty sure thats not my uncle Paddy Dodd from St Finbarrs Terrace Bohermore,however he did have gingerish hair and did sport a tash sometimes. Joey did drown in 1979 however I'm not sure how it all happened, the older brother Tom is the fella walking the dog at 3:07 in the video :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement