Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun manufacture dates

Options
  • 31-12-2007 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hi all
    ive had my second hand berretta 682 gold trap [ not the "e" model] for a year now and am VERY happy with it,and i was wondering how i can date it. anybody know where or iff there are marks that can show this.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would the serial number not tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

All information courtesy of Seamus O'Caiside at Shotgun World.
    Year of Manufacture for Italian Firearms:
    All firearms made in Italy are required by law to be tested by the Government Proof House, which marks the firearm with several symbols, one of which is a code identifying the year in which the firearm was proofed. A key to the code is shown below.

Note: The date code is not a part of the serial number. Read the paragraph below to learn where to find the date code.

In recent years the two-letter code has usually been enclosed in a rectangle. On shotguns, the mark is usually found on the bottom of the barrel. It may be necessary to remove the forearm, and sometimes to remove the barrels from the receiver, in order to expose the mark. I have also seen the date code on the bottom of the frame (receiver) of a semi-automatic, but I have never seen it on the receiver of a break-action gun.

On recent pistols the mark is usually located on the frame near the trigger guard, and for older pistols the mark is on the slide or on the frame behind the grip area.

In some case, especially on older pistols, the actual date in Arabic numerals may be used, or a combination of Roman and Arabic numerals. For example, 1972 is usually represented by XXVIII, but in a few cases it may be written XX8 or as 1972. Also, during the years 1945-1953, some Berettas may be marked with Arabic numbers 1-9 rather than Roman numerals I-IX.

During the years 1935-1943, before the National code system was enacted, some Berettas were marked with the Roman numerals XIII (1935) through XXI (1943). Thus, guns bearing those Roman numerals may need additional evidence to establish the year of manufacture. Beretta used no date code in 1944.

It is not clear to me when firearms by Italian manufacturers other than Beretta began to be marked with date codes - it may have been as late as 1954, with Roman numeral X.

192331627.jpg

All information courtesy of Seamus O'Caiside at Shotgun World. jpcassada@comcast.net
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73492

Happy New Year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 john mcvey

thanks for that m8
    im going to get another berretta and will carry that table with me when i go and check out whats available,
    although im trying to justify a new ultralight deluxe.
    ;)

Advertisement