Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No hot air from air vents

Options
  • 31-12-2007 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a ford fiesta (year 1999). At the moment when I turn on the heater no hot air comes out the vents only cold air. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Check the water level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

smashey wrote: »
    Check the water level.

will do. This is going to sound like a stupid question, I thought the air to the vents is heated by flowing over the engine, does it get heated by the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

babel wrote: »
    will do. This is going to sound like a stupid question, I thought the air to the vents is heated by flowing over the engine, does it get heated by the water?
    I'm not an expert but this happened to me before and it turned out the water level was very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

babel wrote: »

It usually gets heated by blowing over a heat exchanger, if theres a low water level; this fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Keep an eye on the temp guage. It could be an engine thermostat problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

cantdecide wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the temp guage. It could be an engine thermostat problem.

It is probably caused by the heater control valve, I got caught on my ex-99 Fiesta, apparently its a common fault, with that range. I think it cost around £80ish in 2002, and about €120 on the GF's car in 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

There a few reasons why this could happen:

Low water level
    Blown head gasket
    blocked thermostat
    heater switch / knob not working

Keep an eye on the water gauge make sure is not going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It is probably caused by the heater control valve, I got caught on my ex-99 Fiesta, apparently its a common fault, with that range. I think it cost around £80ish in 2002, and about €120 on the GF's car in 2005.

Yep - it's a common fault.

If the coolant/water level is OK and the temperature gauge reads normal then I'd definitely suspect the control valve.

Advertisement