Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berba Situation

Options
  • 31-12-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

His agent aint half stirring the shi*e is he !!

Dimitar Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev has told BBC Sport the striker is happy at Tottenham but would be interested in a move to "a big club".
    The 26-year-old has been a huge hit since joining Spurs in 2006, but Dantchev said he had spoken to chairman Daniel Levy about his future.

"Dimitar wants to fulfil his potential and win trophies now," said Dantchev.

But Levy has repeatedly insisted he is building for the long term, rather than being interested in selling players.

Fans must understand Dimitar is 27 next month and time is running out for him to play for a club that can match his ambition. I would like to stress this is not about money

Dimitar Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev

The Bulgarian has regularly been linked with Manchester United and his agent's comments came just before the mid-season transfer window opens.

He scored 22 goals in his first season at White Hart Lane, and so far this campaign he has netted another 11, including four in the 6-4 win over Reading.

"His performances for the club are a testament to his commitment to the fans and his team-mates," Dantchev told The Sun.

"Fans must understand Dimitar is 27 next month and time is running out for him to play for a club that can match his ambition.

606: DEBATE
    Your views on Berbatov's future

"I would like to stress this is not about money. This is about sporting ambition.

"But after Tottenham's bad start to the season, it is unlikely they will have the chance to do something big this season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

His agent is doing what all agents do, trying to get more money for his client and in the process lining his own pocket with his 12.5%.

I don't doubt for one minute Berbatov wants to win trophies, but I'd like to think he'd show a bit of loyalty to the club and at least wait and see how Ramos does with the squad by the end of the season. Does he really need to walk in this window?

Fcuk him off if he wants to go though, but pull down Utd's pants and give them a right old seeing to beforehand. £40m minimum, if they think they were raped over Carrick they ain't seen nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Agreed.
    Id like to think he will at least wait until the end of the season and then have a look at things and make a decsion. Would the Carling Cup and a decent league finish 7th/8th be good enough to keep him, probably not. But as you said, id milk it as much as possible and take nothing less than maybe 30 mil, not sure we would get 40 :-).

Hatch99 wrote: »
    not sure we would get 40 :-).

Tough luck for Berbatov so, he'll see out his contract at the Lane.

He wants out he goes on our terms, not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Do you really need a sulking Berbatov around the place? There is no way United will pay anywhere neae £40 million for him, It would be more likely to be players plus cash to reach a total of around £20 million.

There is mention of some other european clubs interested but you won't get anywhere near 40 million from them either.

I would love to see him in a united shirt, he reminds me very much of a certain Mr Cantona.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Do you really need a sulking Berbatov around the place? There is no way United will pay anywhere neae £40 million for him, It would be more likely to be players plus cash to reach a total of around £20 million.

At £20m Spurs won't even answer the phone.

If its Brown and Saha I'd want £60m to cover Saha's medical bills.

Look, we took £18m off ya for Carrick, and Berbatov is in a different league to Carrick. No way Levy would settle for a deal worth £20m.

As for sulking, I'm sure Utd would like another Saha situation to push the price down...we are not Fulham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I will be amazed if Berbatov is at Spurs on 1 Sep 08.

The law of the jungle applies here (sadly). You could also call it the football food chain.
    In the same way that we raped West Ham & Leeds for some of their best players we ourselves will always get raped by CL clubs for our best players. Look at the history:

Popescu - Barca
    Kilinsmann - Byern
    Sheringham - Man U
    Judas - Arsenal
    Carrick - Man U
    Arnescum - Chelsea

We cannot match the wages they offer and we cannot match the chances of challenging for the top honours that they can offer. I hate that this is the situation but I understand how this fcuked up ecosystem works.

And top class modern footballers only care about massive wages and winners medals, sadly we cannot provide either as things stand. Because of this I no longer allow myslef to love a player. Why should I be loyal to them ?? It's sick and it's wrong but that is the reality of the situation.

If (when) Berbatov goes - Spurs will carry on like we always do until we find another Abramovic.

We cannot match the wages they offer and we cannot match the chances of challenging for the top honours that they can offer. I hate that this is the situation but I understand how this fcuked up ecosystem works.

Bit harsh on the medals front Shane, can't fault a player for wanting to win things, would much rather that than they chased an extra £5k a week like Cashley Cole or Fatty Carr.

What would we rather, 18 months of magic from Berbatov and he moves on, or five years of Clinton Morrison arriving for training in a Bentley?

I'll take the moody Bulgarian every day.

Bit harsh on the medals front Shane, can't fault a player for wanting to win things, would much rather that than they chased an extra £5k a week like Cashley Cole or Fatty Carr.

What would we rather, 18 months of magic from Berbatov and he moves on, or five years of Clinton Morrison arriving for training in a Bentley?

I'll take the moody Bulgarian every day.

Agreed, my point is that I know there are clubs that 1) will pay higher wages than us and that 2) have a better chance of winning big titles then us. I can't say I would really hold it against any of our players if they moved on to bigger things (bar going to Arsenal), players are not fans and they would consider a move like this to be a promotion of sorts.

I hate that this is what has become of football, but I have no choice but to accept it and get on with supporting the club and not attaching myself to any individual palyer(s).

I will not be surprised 1 bit if Berbatov is gone by the summer, we've seen these situations played out for years and the player 99.9% of the time gets the move they want. Top players hold all the cards in these situations.

I'm resigned to loosing him, if he stays it's a bonus.

The only way i can see him staying is if we 1, win a trophy of note this season,2 we finish well in the league and finished in a respectable position, and 3, Ramos deals well in the summer and shows in his signings that we are serious about getting CL. Otherwise I thinks he's off.

Cant see us getting 40 mil, thats near world record stuff, maybe 25 or something. Manyo can f-off with the Saha and Brown talk, no thanks, Juande would rather the money in order to go back to Sevilla and recruit a couple of old pals Im sure.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Cant see us getting 40 mil, thats near world record stuff, maybe 25 or something.

See, I don't think we should adopt that attitude at all.

What can we get for him implies we accept he's on his way. We don't want to sell him, we don't need to settle for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

We're still in the Uefa cup, and in the semi's of that (granted, pointless) cup - theres some medals to play for ya cúnt. And if he wants more money, just ask his friggin boss.

What can we get for him implies we accept he's on his way. We don't want to sell him, we don't need to settle for anything.

Dont get me wrong Ronan, Im not saying we should just get rid if him, but if we do sell him, I would be very suprised if its for 30 or 40 mil. Remember who makes the decisions regarding this type of stuff, its not Juande or Gus is it !!

I dont think we will sell in the window but if Manyoo come calling in the summer and Berb makes the sounds that he wants to leave, we are powerless. I couldnt see us getting more than 25 for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Exactly. Its Spurs terms, not yours. Not even Spurs would be stupid enough to hold out for £40 million. No club in the world will pay that for him.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Exactly. Its Spurs terms, not yours. Not even Spurs would be stupid enough to hold out for £40 million. No club in the world will pay that for him.

I'm speaking as a Spurs fan you clown.

Why should we settle for the crumbs from your table? Berbatov is twice the player Carrick was, and we would be mad to accept anything less than twice the price.

What you get for him will be equal to the highest realistic bid from a club he wants to move to. Like it or not ,thats the reality for all top players these days. Spurs above all know what it means to let their top players run out their contracts, I would be surprised if they ever let that happen again.

I doubt United will meet spurs asking price and if I were spurs I would not take Saha as part of any deal so I doubt that is a runner either, Wes Brown may be a small part of the deal if one is agreed.

There is a difference between Carrick and Berbatov in that carrick never said he wanted to move, now that berbatov or at least his agent has made his comments spurs hand has been weakened. I doubt berbatove will finish the season as a Tottenham player.

BTW Berbatov is not twice the player Carrick is. They are both quality players.

The Muppet wrote: »
    There is a difference between Carrick and Berbatov in that carrick never said he wanted to move, now that berbatov or at least his agent has made his comments spurs hand has been weakened. I doubt berbatove will finish the season as a Tottenham player.

Carrick made it clear from the time Utd made their interest known that he wanted to join you, that is why Spurs did business.

It was also fantastic business, over 400% return on the initial investment.

Spurs will slap a stupid price tag on Berbatov because we do not want to sell him, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Ronan I see your point and agree Berbs is on a completely level to Carrick but I'd say that no way will Man u go above 25m. I think that Berbs won't go this window but Levy may have to promise to let him go in the summer in order for us to keep him for the rest of the season.

yiddo wrote: »
    Ronan I see your point and agree Berbs is on a completely level to Carrick but I'd say that no way will Man u go above 25m. I think that Berbs won't go this window but Levy may have to promise to let him go in the summer in order for us to keep him for the rest of the season.

Pat, I don't think we should do business if the buying club don't meet our valuation.

I'd rather the miserable sod saw out his contract than he gets sold for less than we want.

Need to set down a marker now, if clubs want our best they should be prepared to reach into their pocket. Otherwise we may as well throw our hats at the whole thing, and accept we'll always have to survive on the scraps from the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gerrytack@hotma

im sick to the teeth watching sulky behave the way he has.shows no respect for the club,the fans,or the jersey.if his agent says its not about the money im sure sulky and himself wont mind giving their percentage of the transfer fee back to spurs.....ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Pat, I don't think we should do business if the buying club don't meet our valuation.

I'd rather the miserable sod saw out his contract than he gets sold for less than we want.

Need to set down a marker now, if clubs want our best they should be prepared to reach into their pocket. Otherwise we may as well throw our hats at the whole thing, and accept we'll always have to survive on the scraps from the top 4.

Ronan, fair enuff but you know as well as I do that once United say 25m Levy will cash in. The best we can hope for is that we get 25m cash and not some 2nd hand goods in part exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Wes Brown wouldn't be a bad part exchange, but I agree with the sentiments above, Berbatov could be worth 30-40m in silly season money.

If United want the league, a 25m+ outlay in January isn't such a big deal.

I don't understand that attitude. You would rather your club lose £20 to £25 million just to keep a player who doesn't want to play for you. That's just crazy.

I know teams need to keep their best players if they want to challenge the top 4 but when the situation get's as far as this one has with the player looking to move, it is time to cash in to the highest bidder. Anything else is likely to unsettle the club even more.

He will be sold either in the next few weeks or in the summer. You can argue about what should happen and how much we should get but it's not gonna make any difference. The only way he'll be here on 01/09/08 is if he breaks his leg before the summer and we're stuck with him.

He's as good as gone - We'll probabally get mid 20s (million) and that will be the end of it. We all know that there's no loyalty in the game and this is just another sad example.

If Spurs refuse a mid-20s offer then they are just cutting off their noses to spite their faces. No point in having a 20/30 million player rotting in the reserves with his valuation decreasing by the day.

BTW. Carrick & 10mil would be a very tempting offer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Tell UTD we want Vidic and Evra for Berbatov. The sale of Carrick looked like good business, we got 17 million for a player that cost 3, but we lost a holding, passing, tackling, midfielder, and 17 million has bought Zokora, Boetang and a bit of Kaboul. Now how good a deal is it? the truth is that the transfer market is a lottery, only one signing in 20 is a Berbatov, and selling them on means the club will not progress. Especially a s Commoli has not proven himself to be an astute judge of talent. Putting money in his hans and expecting another Carrick or Berbatov is recless. I'm with Ronan. let's put down a marker here. A player leaves if it suits the club. remember a year ago Ronaldo was leaving United, Henry was leaving Arsenal for about four years before Wenger decided to cash in. berbatov will play for us, and play well. If he doesn't, the other three strikers will get their chance to gel together.
    On a different topic, I am pleased that we have created a new subset of players at the club, promising 18 year old welsh left backs. A couple of year ago, three players were competing for the right side of the England U-21's, Routledge, Marney, and Lennon. At the back, Davenport, Dawson and Huddlestone all got runs. Now we have Bale/Gunter. He looked deadly against ( Iknow) ireland in cardiff. Fast, confident and direct. He could be a good signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 steve_thfc

I was also very impressed with him at that game in Cardiff. I was delighted when it was announced he was joining us.

Advertisement