Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceramic hob - metal edge needed ?

Options
  • 31-12-2007 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,
    Planning to buy a ceramic hob and just starting to research. I like the ones which have no metal (aluminium ?) edging because they look good and should I suppose be easier to clean than the versions which have a thin (1cm) metal edging. However, perhaps the metal edge protects the hob from chipping/cracking ? Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Personal preference I suppose. Frameless hobs do look better, though as you say, the frame might help keep the edge from chipping, and if a saucepan overflows, the frame might help retain some of the spillage from going across the worktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ennisjim

Thanks Byte for the reply. Currently leaning towards hob with a frame (also have seen it referred to as trim) mainly for the reasons you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Mine is a Zanussi and is frameless. It has a bevel around the edge to prevent chipping.
    Looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ennisjim

Hi 10-10-20. I've seen the bevel-edge hobs and they look very good, but I would have thought that the fact that the glass is thinner at outside (because of bevel) would mean it might be more susceptible to damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

True, but mine is undamaged after 4 years of moderate use.
    I think I'm a little more cautious with it than say a gas hob!

• Advertisement
Advertisement