Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rename forum?

• 31-12-2007 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

As you no doubt can see, there has been quite a bit of confusion about what Computer Health actually means. This has resulted in quite a few off topic threads appearing on the forum, and being moved elsewhere.

This, IMO, makes the forum looks disorganised and difficult to keep up with. I can imagine that it must looks discouraging to post on. I can also see the flipside however, in that Computer Health is a bit of an ambiguous name that leads to honest mistakes.

So I think the forum needs a rename. Something that gets the point across and removes all doubt that this is the place to go to for virus and malware issues. But hopefully something more imaginative that Viruses and Malware :)

Anyone with any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

I would just keep it something simple like Malware Removal myself

Won't have people misunderstanding that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

I agree, Malware Removal is probably the most sensible name. It's also the name used on a lot of other computer security sites out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Malware Removal pretty much sums it up.
    Or Malware - Virus Removal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComputerNerd

not sure if someone getting pop up messages will know what malware is

Malware Removal is a good name, i think threads will be getting moved into here, which will make a nice change

What about Computer Malware Removal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Malware Beware or Malware Scare? It probably doesnt need to rhyme :)

Or any of the above, as long as people know what malware is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

cerbeus wrote: »
    What about Computer Malware Removal?

The forum is under the Computers sub cat so it's probably not necessary to include the word "Computer" in the forum.

I like the use of the word virus (even though malware goes beyond just viruses) as it's a word that people will be very familiar with, regardless of their tech skills.

So maybe "Virus Removal and Prevention" might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I agree with the consensus that we need to use terms that most users will be familiar with, or at least have heard of to be bad. Malware might not fit into that category, and people could end up just going back to the Computer and Technology, Security and Windows forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Query: why not just leave the name and integrate some of the forums: so instead of being dedicated viral and malware theres defragmentation performance tweaking etc? they all seem to fall under PC health. PC hygeine rather :)

Defragmentation: Windows forum.
    Performance tweaking: Already a popular Tweaking and Modding forum in place so that would work for hardware and overclocking, everything else is better suited to the Windows forum because you're looking at getting more out of the OS.

This forum is about getting "other things" out of the OS :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

irlrobins wrote: »
    So maybe "Virus Removal and Prevention" might work.

:rolleyes: "Virus Detection, Removal & Prevention", as some people post ere wondering if they've actually got a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well we don't have to cover every possibility. Otherwise it will end up being called the "Virus Detection, Removal & Prevention, Trojan Detection, Removal & Prevention, Worm Detection, Removal & Prevention, Spyware Detection, Removal & Prevention, etc"

Virus Removal & Prevention seems a nice short snappy title.
    Not overly confusing either.

Ok guys, I have asked Vex to change the forum name to Virus and Malware Removal.

I don't think we need to specifically mention prevention or detection as IMO they are pretty implicit in removal.

Cheers for the suggestions and feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement