Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royalty Question...

Options
  • 31-12-2007 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I've a quick question about logo design / royalties / reproduction.

If I were to design a logo for a small company, receive a fee for it (it was part of a website design; there was no particular stipulation for the logo as a separate entity or anything) and then consequently find that said logo was being reproduced on a large scale - Am I entitled to any remuneration for it?

This "hypothetical" ;) situation may also involve a third party who are responsible for the actual design and printing of the final product, which includes "my" logo. If that's not clear enough, I'll go into more detail, but I'd rather not if at all possible!

Or should I have stipulated "no reproduction outside the website without further negotiation" somewhere in a contract? Please note that there was no contract to begin with.

Thanks in advance. Apologies to the mods as this may appear more as a legal question, but I thought those who frequent the digital design forum would have had more experience in this sort of area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I doubt you'll get a straightforward resolution to this one, as i don't see the client as being willing to pay for extra usage of the logo if it wasn't stated as limited use in the original terms. Usage rights should always be negotiated before any logo is provided to a client and the must be made aware of the terms of use.

Chalk this one up to experience and know better for the future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Chochese wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get a straightforward resolution to this one, as i don't see the client as being willing to pay for extra usage of the logo if it wasn't stated as limited use in the original terms. Usage rights should always be negotiated before any logo is provided to a client and the must be made aware of the terms of use.

Chalk this one up to experience and know better for the future ;)

You're probably right, Chochese. Thanks for the reply anyway. Any other opinions on this matter are welcome too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Yeah, don't think it's fair to seek renumeration in this case.

Take it as a valuable lesson when doing your next job mate.

Advertisement