Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle bins at the beach carpark

Options
  • 31-12-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Was just down at the bottle recycling bins at the beach car park. The place is an awful mess - all the bins empty, because people have brought down their bottles and just turfed them on the ground in front of the bins. Its really slippy and greasy and there is smashed glass all over the place so you have to wade though all this to put your bottles in the bin. You could easily fall and get sliced on all that glass. People have been dumping food waste and electrical stuff and all sorts there too. One lady there today told me that cameras have been put up and those just dumping their stuff and driving off are going to be named and shamed. Its not rocket science, if you are going to the effort of bagging the stuff and driving to the recycling bins then put the bottles in the bins where they belong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Have to agree there, but I do know that the bins were jam packed yesterday, so the have been emptied since.. You'd think the guys that emptied the bins would clear up the mess whilst there, After all if the bins had room in the first place then this wouldn't happen..
    I went to the bins on the way out of Greystones by the golf club as they dont seamed to be as full...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Fair enough, that would explain the overflow so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

If the bins are full, people should take their rubbish away again. It's jnot rocket science. Dumping it on the ground and leaving the mess for somebody else to clean up is pure ignorance and laziness.

I agree strongly with Future plans, but unfortantly this is the country we live in and to expect everyone to take their litter home whilst the bins get emptied is beyond a miracle.
    I mean, if people can't even take their rubbish to the bin in McDonlads once they have finished their food then what chance have we with public bins...??
    I just hope the camrea there will catch to culprits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

People should be aware that there is a CCTV camera in the carpark recording car registration plates. All of the beautiful people who indulge in dumping their stuff on the ground will have their letterboxes bulging with fines from the litter warden in WCC. They simply get in touch with the nice people in the Department of the Environment who have your name and address stored beside your car registration details and VOILA....a nice E150 litter fine.
    Happy new year :o

Oh! and that's a 150 Euro fine for each offence. So if you drop three bags/boxes/bottles on the ground...and that's three offences
    HAPPY DAYS!!! :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Greystones Mill Road (Opp Tennis Club)
    Beverage Cans, Glass bottles/jars

South Beach Car Park

South Beach Seafront Park

Supervalu

Tesco Car Park
    Textiles, Glass bottles/jars, Beverage Cans

Trafalgar Road

Bray Recycling Centre
    An excellent recycling facility off the Boghol Road in Bray which takes all of the above items plus things like light bulbs, used batteries, and moblile phones. They will take small household appliances at no charge.

There is a similar facility located in The Murrough Wicklow Town.

Greenstar
    Greenstar are giving a free Glass bin to their customers in the Greystones area.

Recycling and waste management is very simple. It takes just a small effort.
    There is absolutely no excuse for dumping like that in Greystones and it reflects badly on everyone in the area.

If you see anyone dumping, call Greystones town Council.
    Heres the number 01-2877122

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

ian_m wrote: »
    Greystones Mill Road (Opp Tennis Club)

South Beach Car Park

South Beach Seafront Park

Supervalu

Tesco Car Park

Trafalgar Road

Bray Recycling Centre
    An excellent recycling facility off the Boghol Road in Bray which takes all of the above items plus things like light bulbs, used batteries, and moblile phones. They will take small household appliances at no charge.

There is a similar facility located in The Murrough Wicklow Town.

Greenstar
    Greenstar are giving a free Glass bin to their customers in the Greystones area.

Recycling and waste management is very simple. It takes just a small effort.
    There is absolutely no excuse for dumping like that in Greystones and it reflects badly on everyone in the area.

If you see anyone dumping, call Greystones town Council.
    Heres the number 01-2877122

Thanks for that, Very helpful. AFAIK though the textile bin is no longer in Tesco car park, but there is one at the south beach car park.

Went to do my good deed for the day yesterday by taking the empties to the recycling bins, however I was greated by a huge army of wasps..

So much so that i had to leave and bring most of the bottles home with me..
    I'm not sure if they've set up camp in one of the bins but they certaintly didn't want me around, nor fellow recyclers and it showed...

I tried to fight back but there is hundreds of them...:mad:

The security camrea caught it all..... So im sure the operator will have a great laugh when seeing it, who knows, might even make you tube..!!

Just thought id give you the heads up just incase your elderly, have young nippers or enjoy wasps company...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Went to do my good deed for the day yesterday by taking the empties to the recycling bins, however I was greated by a huge army of wasps..

So much so that i had to leave and bring most of the bottles home with me..
    I'm not sure if they've set up camp in one of the bins but they certaintly didn't want me around, nor fellow recyclers and it showed...

I tried to fight back but there is hundreds of them...:mad:

The security camrea caught it all..... So im sure the operator will have a great laugh when seeing it, who knows, might even make you tube..!!

or how about a new show called When Good Wasps Go Bad...
    :D

ian_m wrote: »
    or how about a new show called When Good Wasps Go Bad...
    :D

These were asbo wasps on a mission...

Surprised they weren't wearing hoodies...!:D

Heading down to the sky bar later, I'll be the one in the bee keepers outfit..!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

If the bins are full, people should take their rubbish away again. It's jnot rocket science. Dumping it on the ground and leaving the mess for somebody else to clean up is pure ignorance and laziness.

I wonder are they the same charming folks who leave rubbish all over the beach - it was a minefield of used nappies after the bank holiday, together with all sorts of picnic debris, used condoms (rather them than me in this climate) and, goes without saying, cans, broken bottles.

And there I am in the middle of it all scooping up my dogs dirt, and carrying it with me until I can bin it..... you have to laugh......

Advertisement