Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley Waterford 104 MkII spares WANTED

Options
  • 31-12-2007 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of 10 year old Stanley Waterford 104 MkII wood burning stoves we use for room heating and I'm looking for a couple of replacement top baffles. Ironically I live in Waterford and Waterford Stanley can't help me, they seem to have dumped all their old spares when they recently moved offices (I didn't say factory as I'm not sure they do any assembly work in Waterford anymore).

If you want to see the stove I'm on about http://www.thefirebird.com/PHOTOS/topic-waterfordmk2.jpg is a link to a US site (www.thefirebird.com) that seems to still have them for sale.

A picture of the part can be found at http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SPP&Category_Code=WTRFD-104 I wouldn't mind a couple of 3 hole side baffles, on the same page, while I'm at it. OK so I could try and buy them from the US but would you want to pay shipping for a 5kg lump of cast iron?

The problem with the whole 100 range of Waterford Stanley stoves is the cast iron side and top baffles - or perhaps the problem is with the very dry constuction timber I burn. On one well used stove we have replaced the side baffles 4 times in 10 years as they burn out. The top baffle lasts much longer but now find that also needs replacing. This wouldn't be a problem if spares were easily available - fitting takes about 30seconds - but even when the spares were still in stock it was never an easy job to get hold of them.

If I can't get spares I WILL NOT buy from Waterford Stanley ever again as I think that their decision to stop supplying spares for older models is not to be condoned. If I have to replace these stoves I'll buy a couple of cheap Chinese made stoves (who knows where Waterford Stanleys parts are cast?) and expect to replace them evey couple of years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Op: cant help with the spare parts but your post prompts some serious questions about wood-burning stoves and their on-going costs and their enviro-friendly image.

From the website, the side baffles are say 200 euro a pair, including shipping.

You replace them every couple of years and now the top baffle at 100 euro.

One cannot ignore the carbon footprint cost of these baffles, so these stoves are not as green as they are made out to be.

Does the same problem arise with all WB stoves, including wood pellet burners?

If so then this green image is a con.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

theres a lad in galway that reconditions old stoves and ranges and supplys new stuff as well nationwide as far as i know ,dont know if im allowed to post the number here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

ircoha wrote: »
    Op: cant help with the spare parts but your post prompts some serious questions about wood-burning stoves and their on-going costs and their enviro-friendly image.

From the website, the side baffles are say 200 euro a pair, including shipping.

You replace them every couple of years and now the top baffle at 100 euro.

One cannot ignore the carbon footprint cost of these baffles, so these stoves are not as green as they are made out to be.

Does the same problem arise with all WB stoves, including wood pellet burners?

If so then this green image is a con.

Last time I bought spare side baffles (approx two years ago) the cost was about 120euro for 2 pairs, which I thought was cheap enough. Consider that you can't get a Multifuel stove for much under a thousand euro I don't think thats a bad price. Hence my retiscence at importing stuff back from the USA at such mad prices. I'd be more concerned at the carbon footprint of shipping them around the world than the manufacture. I burn wood off cuts that otherwise end up in land fill, where they decompose and produce CO2 just the same as if I burn them. So the main cost to the enviroment is the petrol I use to pick up the timber and electric I use to saw it up, but I've got lazy so most of the time I only pick out the timber thats the size I want so no cutting. I'm not sure that the carbon footprint created by smelting about 5kg of cast iron a year even starts to compare with the carbon cost of burning coal, oil or gas used to heat most homes.

You don't get the same problem with many stoves as they have a fire brick linning which last longer (if anyone needs any they are available for many stoves/cookers from http://www.dineensales.com/rangeparts.htm ) and anyone with an angle grinder can cut any specially shaped bricks from standard bricks - hint often the correct ones need cutting to fit properly.

Pellet burners are another story. If you start looking under the hood there are many good and bad points but they seem to be an option for people who want to be greener without the dirt under the finger nails of traditional woodburning. Pellet stoves are a fill up the "tank" with pellets and switch it on option. So far I haven't found an automatic self filling wood burning stove that costs the 200 punts I originally paid for a 104.

AND anyway who said I was green.................more like mean ;-)

Hiscan............

Post the number, I don't see any rule against it, don't forget there is a suppliers sticky with numbers and details of many suppliers/tradsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

alan gordon 087 2604627

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dark Stanley.

We've had ours for 8 years never had any problems with it at all. It's now being called the "Fionn"...... No more the 104. :)

• Advertisement

We've had ours for 8 years never had any problems with it at all. It's now being called the "Fionn"...... No more the 104. :)

Thanks for trying to help - I still need those baffles including the top one btw - but the only similarity the Fionn has with the 104 is the shape. Fionn has firebricks and the 104 which in latter years was sold more on the export market has no firebricks and uses cast iron side baffles. 104 is ONLY a WOODBURNER Fionn is soild fuel ie wood or coal. 104 no ash pan - its a wood burner, Fionn has ash pan and grate.

The top baffle on the Fionn is a similar design to the 104 but won't fit seem to remember its a bit wider.

Fionn is a good little stove though ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dark Stanley.

ttm wrote: »
    Thanks for trying to help - I still need those baffles including the top one btw - but the only similarity the Fionn has with the 104 is the shape. Fionn has firebricks and the 104 which in latter years was sold more on the export market has no firebricks and uses cast iron side baffles. 104 is ONLY a WOODBURNER Fionn is soild fuel ie wood or coal. 104 no ash pan - its a wood burner, Fionn has ash pan and grate.

The top baffle on the Fionn is a similar design to the 104 but won't fit seem to remember its a bit wider.

Fionn is a good little stove though ;-)

Apologies I wasn't paying attention, Waterford 104 (Fionn) 32,000 btu, 104 MkII 25,900. You can get the MkII steel baffels from :-

HERE..

:)

Apologies I wasn't paying attention, Waterford 104 (Fionn) 32,000 btu, 104 MkII 25,900. You can get the MkII steel baffels from :-

HERE..

:)

Almost ;-) The key point is I need the 3 hole baffle which is also on that site somewhere and same site in the US I was talking about in the OP qv. I'm not even going to ask how much it would cost to ship over 10kilos of cast iron from the US "BACK TO IRELAND". The stoves cost 200quid each about 12 years ago and I did buy a load of spare side baffles so have one set left and if I'm lucky the top baffle in the stove I use the most will last the winter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WMT

Hi ttm

check your pm's

regards
    WMT

Advertisement