Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Movers and Shakers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sunday Post

By Danny Stewart

KEVIN KEEGAN is set to test Gordon Strachan’s resolve to keep hold of his top stars with a £8-million bid for Scott Brown.

The Toon Army idol has swept back into St James Park on a tide of emotion. And in a determined effort to ensure the feel-good factor continues, the club’s billionaire owner Mike Ashley has promised to give his manager the cash he needs for an instant rebuild of the team.

It’s understood Brown, who cost Celtic a record £4.4-million fee in the summer, is near the top of Keegan’s wish list.
    But having seen his 22-year-old midfielder lead the champions to a 1-0 win over Kilmarnock yesterday — his shot was deflected in by Martyn Corrigan for the game’s only goal — the Celtic boss insists he doesn’t want to sell anyone.

“I don’t want to have anyone going out the way,” he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Clever moves from Keegan, at least he can still spot some talent.

£8-9m seems to be the price for the top SPL talent. Petrov, Gordon, Hutton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

How much would Aiden 'Can't do it for Ireland' McGeady cost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

tut tut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Blues land Argentine star on loan

Birmingham City have signed young Argentine star Mauro Zarate on loan with a view to a permanent move.

The forward, who joins from Qatar club Al Saad, scored the winner for his country in the final of the Under-20 World Cup last summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/7200207.stm

Birmingham signed a young Argentine on loan yesterday. Bit strange he was playing in Qatar - is he another one owned by a sports media type company ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa said last night no more arrivals this window, Sissoko out paying for Skrtle

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Rafa said last night no more arrivals this window, Sissoko out paying for Skrtle

Mike.

so all quiet on Mascherano front - cue the fight in the summer for his signature

• Advertisement

The fights gona start now I think. He's allowed to talk isn't he?

Tottenham look to be making some very smart moves. Tiago I think is an excellent signing

From the BBC rumour mill -
    Fulham are close to signing veteran Finnish international Jari Litmanen and will undergo a trial with the club. (AFP news agency, 0949 GMT)

:eek: WTF?!

Also, remember when this lad was meant to be 'the next best thing? -
    Fulham are hoping to sign 30-year-old former Manchester United striker Erik Nevland from FC Gronigen. (Various)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    From the BBC rumour mill -

:eek: WTF?!

Also, remember when this lad was meant to be 'the next best thing? -
    Christ, Erik Nevland, theres a blast from the past alright. :)

Looks like Samaras is going to be staying at Man City too. I always thought he was quite a decent player, could have done very well for Birmingham imo.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3070941,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SofaKing wrote: »
    Birmingham signed a young Argentine on loan yesterday. Bit strange he was playing in Qatar - is he another one owned by a sports media type company ?

This one is pretty funny. I wonder is Mcleish an FM2008 fan? If they judged his talent right he's on his way to being one of the best strikers in the world!

<edit> just realised his name isn't mentioned anywhere, its Mauro Zarate thats being talked about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

SofaKing wrote: »

Well not knowingly(?)..he moved to Qutar for one simple reason, which he expressed openly: The Money.

Tiago and Brazils left back Gilberto to Spurs...two good signings. Tiago was the best midfield player in the world last year...gilberto looks good when I see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yup, 2 good signings for spurs there, tiago in particular i feel.... very good player

I think if they can get another central defender in then they'll really have address a lot of their defensie problems. Then a top class left winger and they are set for a top 4 challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Scored more goals than any other team in the PL I think (other than Man U), sort out that defence and they'll shoot up the table (no easy thing to do though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

brum have 9 strikers by my count :eek:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

PHB wrote: »
    I think if they can get another central defender in then they'll really have address a lot of their defensie problems. Then a top class left winger and they are set for a top 4 challenge

id say bale when he returns will be there left winger if they get gilberto wud be a good left side imo

Yeh maybe, Bale looks like he could be a left-sided Beckham style winger.

Bianchi has left City to join Lazio on loan til the end of the season. Apparently a fee of 9.9 million has been agreed to so we'll actually make a profit out of the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

City apparantly in advanced talks with Seville over Luis Fabiano. Would be an incredible buy, great player. Shinawatra really doesn't do things by halves!

Spurs also potentially ready to muscle in.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3074746,00.html
    Luis Fabiano has revealed that an English club, believed to be Manchester City, are close to agreeing a deal for his services.

"It would be very difficult to leave Seville," said Fabiano.

"But negotiations to go to England are at an advanced stage, and this is a great opportunity.

However, Fabiano's situation is complicated by the fact that Sevilla actually only own 35 per cent of the player.

His representatives and an investment group hold the rest of the stake and reports suggest that a deal worth 14 million euros (£10million) would be enough to take 'The Magician' to England.

Spurs are also believed to be keeping close tabs on the situation with Juande Ramos a known admirer of his former charge and Tottenham could yet make a rival bid.

Yeah that'd be some signing alright if we could get him. Someone who is coming to us -

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3074746,00.html
    Meanwhile, Eriksson is understood to have taken Italian Filippo Mancini on trial.

Mancini is the son of Roberto and he plays for his father at Internazionale.

He made his debut for Inter in the Coppa Italia earlier this month, but he is now believed to be trying his luck in England with City.

He's 17 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote: »
    Tottenham look to be making some very smart moves. Tiago I think is an excellent signing

Italian version of SSN had video of Daniel Levy and Damien Comolli meeting with officials from Juve last night, but reported that Tiago wants to go to Atletico Madrid (though alluded to the possibility that's a ploy by Tiago's agent to get more out of Spurs wage-wise)

Sevilla be mad to let Fabiano go now with Kanoute still away and Kone also at ANC. Be super mad to accept 9 million for him too if Bent is 16 million Fabiano is at least 50 but in reality worth about 20 imo.

The guy scores goals with both feet and useful in the air, selling him would leave Sevilla with one striker and Kershakov :p < more chance of him going as Ramos loves him and hes too slow for la liga.

kdjac

Very possible that Pascal Chimbonda could be out the door at Tottenham, I've heard he's making excessive wage demands and Daniel Levy has told him to get fcuked.

Newcastle are alleged to be interested.

Very possible that Pascal Chimbonda could be out the door at Tottenham, I've heard he's making excessive wage demands and Daniel Levy has told him to get fcuked.

Thats how you got him irc.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Thats how you got him irc.

kdjac

Indeed it was, modern football mercanery.

Know a few people who've had the "pleasure" of his company, less than complimentary reports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Villa had been linked to him earlier in January and def need a RB

not supposed to be the most pleasant of characters bounty hunter, i wouldnt want him on my team from what ive heard about him, although m sure wigan or spurs fans know more then me so im sure they can tell you more about him

This story will break in tomorrow's Sun.
    PASCAL CHIMBONDA has stunned Tottenham by declaring: I’m off to join Kevin Keegan.

The French full-back claims he is ready to accept a lucrative offer to be part of the Keegan revolution at Newcastle.

He will shun a Carling Cup final place to move on.

There was also another shock for Spurs fans last night, as boss Juande Ramos admitted Dimitar Berbatov could still be on his way out.

Ramos said: “There is always a risk he could go while the transfer market stays open.”

Chimbonda, though, is adamant his deal has been struck.

Out celebrating Tottenham’s 5-1 demolition of Arsenal on Tuesday night, the 28-year-old bragged to pals: “Kevin Keegan has approached me and they’ve offered me more money.

“I am definitely leaving Spurs. It’s all about the money. I don’t care about the final, I don’t care about the cup.”

Now I know I've slated the tabloids quite recently, and I normally wouldn't have posted this, but I knew about this story yesterday from an Irish Spurs fan who posts on a Spurs site called FTL. He works as a journo and has done some work for the Sun before I believe.

He's commented on the link tonight by saying:
    just to make it clear

"bragged to pals" is only a cover..its all his own words

Oh well, we reap what we sow...we were happy to overlook his behaviour at Wigan when it suited, hope we get a nice few £ and good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article3229862.ece

not sure if this is on earlier pages or other threads.....but here goes, some interesting ones there, dont agree with one or 2 of them!!!

Man City still to sign a striker, think that will be the most interesting signing of the window as it will either push them on for 4th or kill them.

Milito now being touted, 9m being the price. The guy is a lot better than Torres can score with both feet and very good in the air, when fit is usually top scorer in la liga.

Ramos tried to sign him for Sevilla a few times.

kdjac

• Advertisement

This can't be the Milito I'm thinking of. Striker? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Milito now being touted, 9m being the price. The guy is a lot better than Torres can score with both feet and very good in the air, when fit is usually top scorer in la liga.

kdjac

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Man, i would be really shocked/worried if someone of the World Class of Diego Milito signed for City.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    This can't be the Milito I'm thinking of. Striker? :confused:

Diego is the argentian striker playing for Zaragoza, his brother is the centre back playing for barca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Milito

got injured at genoa went on loan to zaragoza who then signed him.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Villa had been linked to him earlier in January and def need a RB

As a Villa fan I think we can do without this mercenary..........even though we are in dire need of a rightback.

(Btw, any football player that was on MTV Cribs should be strung up by the nads and given the severe lashing that they deserve)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Militio for 9 million? Can't see it happening, that's ridiculously low for someone who's been scoring as much as he has over the last few seasons.

Yeah Milito is being heavily. We certainly have the money to lure him to England. We desperately need a striker by the end of the window

apparently middlesborough have accepted a 7million+ offer for jonny woodgate from spurs, he discussing personal terms according to ssn

also they have made improved offer to tiago after a few other PL clubs have started talking to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Did anyone see the news on Sky last night that Spurs officials were on their way to Spain to try to sign Carlos Puyol?
    Surprised it hasn't gotten a mention here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Did anyone see the news on Sky last night that Spurs officials were on their way to Spain to try to sign Carlos Puyol?
    Surprised it hasn't gotten a mention here.

Thats because its laughable..... :D

Mundo Deportivo rumour: Luka Modric has asked his club, Dinamo Zagreb, to take only an offer from Barcelona in consideration. The last months there have been intense contacts between Barcelona and the player's environment and between Barcelona and Dinamo Zagreb officials. Laporta is going to Zagreb next week for a Uefa congress, so maybe to be continued soon...

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/20080124/noticia_53430132094.html

Skysports.com understands that Celtic have won the race to sign Middlesbrough starlet Ben Hutchinson.

The 20-year-old striker has penned a pre-contract with the Scottish champions, in a deal which will shock and disappoint Boro.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3079837,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If Woodgate goes to Spurs then that could be relegation for Boro. Great defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

This story will break in tomorrow's Sun.

Now I know I've slated the tabloids quite recently, and I normally wouldn't have posted this, but I knew about this story yesterday from an Irish Spurs fan who posts on a Spurs site called FTL. He works as a journo and has done some work for the Sun before I believe.

He's commented on the link tonight by saying:

Oh well, we reap what we sow...we were happy to overlook his behaviour at Wigan when it suited, hope we get a nice few £ and good riddance.

were Spurs not trying to buy Hutton from Rangers before any of this? So its no suprise Chimbonda wants to leave if Ramos wants a different right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article3229862.ece

not sure if this is on earlier pages or other threads.....but here goes, some interesting ones there, dont agree with one or 2 of them!!!

What a laughable article. Fowler to Liverpool, Walcott to Arsenal, and Carson to Liverpool as some of the best signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Unearthly wrote: »
    What a laughable article. Fowler to Liverpool, Walcott to Arsenal, and Carson to Liverpool as some of the best signings

Fowler to LFC was a great signing. If only that it endeared Rafa to the fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement