Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Movers and Shakers

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why should clubs have to disclose them?
    When one company/person buy something of another company/person they dont have to disclose it to the media why should football clubs be any different

Thats all well and good, but i wanna know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Thats all well and good, but i wanna know!

My point exactly. I didn't say they shouldn't do it, I just hate it

A transfer i really expected was that of Carlos Eduardo who went for Gremio to Hoffenheim in the second division in germany last summer. For 5mill. All the big players were interested in him last summer including milan, madrid and liverpool. Was a lot of speculation the buy from Hoffenheim was just an acclimitisation period for whatever club had really bought him, but now since he wasn't mentioned at all over the Jan window im not so sure. He's only made 7appearances so far for them, scoring 2 goals, so i guess he must have been injured or something. Either way, I still really want liverpool to go for him, could be got for less then 10mill id imagine. Was just unreal quality every time i watched him at Gremio last year (was tuning in to watch Lucas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I don't believe Hoffenheim is parking the player for anyone. Behind Hoffenheim is on of the richest german - Dietmar Hopp, the founder and main owner of SAP. They want to be in the first league within the next 2 years, and have bought big last summer (not only Eduardo). They are only a small "village club" but are currently building a new 30000 seater stadium. :rolleyes:

A transfer i really expected was that of Carlos Eduardo who went for Gremio to Hoffenheim in the second division in germany last summer. For 5mill. All the big players were interested in him last summer including milan, madrid and liverpool. Was a lot of speculation the buy from Hoffenheim was just an acclimitisation period for whatever club had really bought him, but now since he wasn't mentioned at all over the Jan window im not so sure. He's only made 7appearances so far for them, scoring 2 goals, so i guess he must have been injured or something. Either way, I still really want liverpool to go for him, could be got for less then 10mill id imagine. Was just unreal quality every time i watched him at Gremio last year (was tuning in to watch Lucas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i think that was a sound peice of business my redknapp to take defoe has a very strong squad of players if it wasnt for the ACN been on theyd probably be higher up the table.
    also what do the rest of yous think of sunderland taking reid? i think thats also a good signing by keano hes a handy player can pass the ball well either out wide or in the middle of the park

DubDani wrote: »
    I don't believe Hoffenheim is parking the player for anyone. Behind Hoffenheim is on of the richest german - Dietmar Hopp, the founder and main owner of SAP. They want to be in the first league within the next 2 years, and have bought big last summer (not only Eduardo). They are only a small "village club" but are currently building a new 30000 seater stadium. :rolleyes:

whats the rolleyes for?

Anyway, yeah there was a lot of speculation last summer that he was being 'parked' for most likely Milan. I know the owner is rich, and thats all well and good but it wasn't small top flight clubs going in for him, it was big big clubs. 5million isn't exactly out of their league, nor would a big wage packet. And the player himself i wouldn't imagine would be too happy plying his trade long term with a 2nd division german team/lower first division team if they get up in a few years. So it just makes sense that this is either a short term stepping stone for him, or that theres an agreement in place with a bigger team to take him for bigger money in a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hunt who did'nt move to Sundireland has signed a new deal at Reading keeping him there until summer 2011.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    Hunt who did'nt move to Sundireland has signed a new deal at Reading keeping him there until summer 2011.

Mike.
    \o/

Best news today.

Well done Hunty on not being drawn to the Dark Side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

lol at man city.

Benjani not registered and failed his medical :D

Harry does it again, even when selling players he looks as honest as a 2nd hand car salesman.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    lol at man city.

Benjani not registered and failed his medical :D

Harry does it again, even when selling players he looks as honest as a 2nd hand car salesman.

kdjac

What are you sh1tting about this time? We haven't signed him, he isn't registered to us or them. And where did you hear he failed the medical? Sure he only played 90 mins the night before. Of course he's fit :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What are you sh1tting about this time? We haven't signed him, he isn't registered to us or them. And where did you hear he failed the medical? Sure he only played 90 mins the night before. Of course he's fit :rolleyes:

Page 71 of todays star, seems your trying to get out of signing him on the basis of a failed medical. and saying hes not your player altho you tried to register him.:rolleyes:

again LOL@ man city

kdjac

Page 71 of todays star, seems your trying to get out of signing him on the basis of a failed medical. and saying hes not your player altho you tried to register him.:rolleyes:

again LOL@ man city

kdjac

A simple LOL will suffice at that. A gospel like 'source' you got there.

A simple LOL will suffice at that. A gospel like 'source' you got there.

So i go with The Star or your posts on the internet hmmmm

Theres a bbc article that backs up the star....

Registration issues always funny stuff.

So are man city trying to sign him or unsign him?

kdjac

So i go with The Star or your posts on the internet hmmmm

Registration issues always funny stuff.

So are man city trying to sign him or unsign him?

kdjac

My posts are backed up by info I've been given on the City forums which is far more credible than a rehashed article by a journalist on the other side of the Irish sea.

He passed the medical but didn't arrive at Carrington til 11.15pm. Hence missing the deadline.

I don't honestly know if Sven wants hm. I do. He did not fail any medical though as you/the Staar say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not really, it doesn't say anything about a failed medical.

Where Citeh do appear to have fcuked up is in telling Pompey the paperwork had been submitted in time when it hadn't.

• Advertisement

I don't honestly know if Sven wants hm. I do. He did not fail any medical though as you/the Staar say.

So you slate anything posted in relation to it, your club ****s up signing a player, people laugh and yet they are ****ting out of them. But you "dont know" but still "know" that others are wrong.

"manchester city are trying to wriggles out of a 13.3m deal for Benjani - because of problems with his medical AFTER the deal was registered" = Star

"However, Manchester City maintain the 29-year-old did not turn up in time to complete a medical." BBC

Whichever the medical or the fact they trying not to sign a player they sgned, its still funny.

kdjac

You said he failed a medical and laughed. He hasn't failed any medical. Sven may have changed his mind when the deal for Caicedo went through.

I have no problem with people slating my team once they back it up with fact and not tabloid speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Using an article in the Star as any sort of solid proof really is nothing more than wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sky Sports say the Benjani to Man City deal is done.

They have been wrong a few times in recent weeks so not 100% confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Seems to have gone through alright, £7.6m.

• Advertisement

Nothing on the official site so I'm going to wait til they have it before I believe.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Nothing on the official site so I'm going to wait til they have it before I believe.

Done and dusted for a fantastic price!!

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=115&pagegid=%7BDBD12D53%2D8346%2D431D%2DA04F%2D5D0F8664DE80%7D&newsid=529751&siteid=&pageno=&newscategory=&frommonth=12&fromyear=2007&tomonth=2&toyear=2008
    Benjani signs for £3.87million

Manchester City are delighted to announce the signing of Benjani Mwaruwari from Portsmouth for £3.87million.

The Zimbabwe striker joins the Blues on a two and a half year deal after passing a medical yesterday and agreeing personal terms.

Further payments could be made if the player makes up to 75 senior starts.

The Premier League and Football Association have approved the transfer, and the 12-goal hitman will go straight into Sven-Goran Eriksson’s squad, taking the number 27 shirt.

He is expected to join his new team mates for training at Carrington today.

The Harare-born player captains his national side, and he played in the Champions League while with Auxerre during his four-year stay with the French side prior to joining Portsmouth in 2006.

Chief Executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "I would like to thank Portsmouth Football Club, the Premier League and the Football Association for their help, understanding and assistance in enabling this transfer to be completed to the satisfaction of all concerned.

"In particular I would like to thank Peter Storrie of Portsmouth and Sir David Richards of the Premier League for their hard work and pragmatism.”

Sven-Goran Eriksson said of the deal: “I am delighted that we have signed such a quality player, and I am looking forward to working with him straight away.”

When you think of some of the players that have gone for 6ish million, this is a great bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It would seem he has a knee problem that caused the price to be reduced.

Villain wrote: »

thats true, but even with the knee problem taken into account the reduced price was being mooted at over 7million. Given that he played the full game the last day, id say this is well worth the bit of a gamble involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Villain wrote: »

the potential price is still the same, but City managed to add in an appearences clause. BBC were reporting Portsmouth will get the full amount of £7.6 million should he make a grand total of 7.6 million starts... bit amitious i think.

still even if it's 75 as the rest were reporting, Portsmouth must have real cash flow problems to have agreed. i don't think there is any chance they will see that full amount. i can only see Benjani featuring reguraly for them for the rest of this season, i'd say they'll get someone of a higer profile in by the start of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

BBC were reporting Portsmouth will get the full amount of £7.6 million should he make a grand total of 7.6 million starts... bit amitious i think.

Very ambitious ;)

BBC were reporting Portsmouth will get the full amount of £7.6 million should he make a grand total of 7.6 million starts... bit amitious i think.

Maybe they're scientologists and got him to sign a Billion year contract :eek:

Ha ha what a result!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3315361.ece
    The transfer of Benjani Mwaruwari from Portsmouth to Manchester City, which was completed yesterday, stalled at the deadline last Thursday because the player fell asleep at the airport on his way to Manchester, according to Peter Storrie, the Portsmouth chief executive.

City were unable to complete the player’s medical and send in all the required paperwork before the midnight deadline after the Zimbabwe forward failed to arrive at Manchester airport until 10.30pm. “In his own inevitable, wonderful way – and we all love Benji so much - he falls asleep at the airport and misses two planes,” Storrie said. “You couldn’t write the script. The next plane at 7 o’clock got cancelled and the 8.30 was delayed. It just made the whole situation a fiasco.”

Concerns about the player’s knee mean that Portsmouth will receive an initial £3.87 million. There will be further payments if the player makes 75 senior starts for City, with the deal worth a potential £7.6 million. Benjani has signed a 2½year contract.

Very unlikely he'll reach 75 appearances for us so bargain of the season hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Whats the bets he makes 74 appearances over 4 years and then mysteriously never plays again :)

• Advertisement

Whats the bets he makes 74 appearances over 4 years and then mysteriously never plays again :)

Well that'd just be a kind of karma cause Reading did that very thing when The Goat played for them so they wouldn't have to cough up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

so the transfer nearly fell apart because he fell asleep... what an absolute moron. no wonder City wanted out of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so the transfer nearly fell apart because he fell asleep... what an absolute moron. no wonder City wanted out of the deal.

another good point is we have another club to add to the list of those that can't really complain about the FA giving the 'big' teams special treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tauren wrote: »
    another good point is we have another club to add to the list of those that can't really complain about the FA giving the 'big' teams special treatment.
    Er, Man City is a big club.

Massive, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

:D i like it.
    DesF wrote: »
    Er, Man City is a big club.

Massive, actually.

Well the appearance fee's are broken down into 25 game blocks so that shouldn't be a major concern. Most transfers are part appearance-based these days.

Must admit i feel quite sorry for Benjani, seems like he was fcked around quite a bit. Was a tireless (kuyt-like) worker for the team last season, but this year has added goals as well while not lessening his work rate.

Manchester City new boy Benjani Mwaruwari had to ask himself if he was having a 'bad dream' when told he was to be sold by Portsmouth.

"I kept asking myself all day whether this was all true,"

"I kept telling myself that it was all a bad dream. It was tough to leave Portsmouth and I was late leaving my home for Manchester because I thought it was all a bad dream and I would wake up the following day and still be a Pompey player.

"But this was not a dream."

"It was never my choice to leave Pompey because of the special relationship that I had with the supporters, with my team-mates and with the coach.

"I was very happy at Pompey and I think this season I showed that I had settled down well and I was beginning to produce the goals for the club.

"There are some things in football that are more important than money and one of those things is a special relationship a player can enjoy with the supporters and the coach.

"I had all that at Portsmouth and I was really enjoying myself playing football in a very good environment and knowing that everyone was happy with what I was doing for the club.

"I was shocked when I was told on Tuesday that I was going to be sold to Manchester City before the transfer window closed.

"I did not know the two clubs had been talking about a transfer and I only knew on Tuesday that there were plans for me to go elsewhere.

"I asked for the reason why I was being sold and they told me that it was a good business deal since Manchester City were paying a lot of money - especially considering my age - and they could also get younger players in return."

It is not, though, all doom and gloom for the 29-year-old; as he is more than content with the terms offered by City.

"It's the best deal, in terms of remuneration, in my entire career and I was just happy with the respect I had received from Manchester City so I signed after a few minutes," he concluded.

"It's not easy for a 29-year-old African player to get such a deal in Europe.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3119681,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Must admit i feel quite sorry for Benjani, seems like he was fcked around quite a bit. Was a tireless (kuyt-like) worker for the team last season, but this year has added goals as well while not lessening his work rate.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3119681,00.html
    I didnt realise he was 29, thought he was much younger! Hope he does well for them (although not this weekend) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ah i hope he settles in quickly......hat trick on Sunday should do the job

• Advertisement

Shocking choice of words
    I didnt realise he was 29, thought he was much younger! Hope he does well for them (although not this weekend) ;)

Why would you want a player signing for your local rivals to do well?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Shocking choice of words

:confused:

Shocking choice of words

Why would you want a player signing for your local rivals to do well?
    Well I like him as a player same way as I have a soft spot for Torres at Liverpool, doesnt mean Im a closet City or Pool fan, Im sure Im not the only one who has a soft spot for a player who plays for your teams rivals. Could be an interesting thread actually! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He denied those newspaper quotes yesterday.

Well I like him as a player same way as I have a soft spot for Torres at Liverpool, doesnt mean Im a closet City or Pool fan, Im sure Im not the only one who has a soft spot for a player who plays for your teams rivals. Could be an interesting thread actually! :)

Difference between liking a player and wanting them to do well. I can't say I've ever wanted a Portsmouth/Bohs/Rovers/Pats player to do well.

Difference between liking a player and wanting them to do well. I can't say I've ever wanted a Portsmouth/Bohs/Rovers/Pats player to do well.
    Maybe I just dont feel threatened by City or Livepool! ;)

• Advertisement

Maybe I just dont feel threatened by City or Livepool! ;)

:) Good point.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    ~Rebel~ wrote:

Shocking choice of words

Why? Whats a 'shocking choice of words'?

"Tireless", given the story about him falling asleep in the airport.

"Tireless", given the story about him falling asleep in the airport.

Advertisement