Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Movers and Shakers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

V1llianous wrote: »
    I'd like to propose a creative midfielder gets added to that and also the striker should be clarified as a prolific proven goal-scorer (20+) not another Harewood.

i think we can do without the playmaker at the moment, that can wait til summer when we'll pay a more reasonable price and theres more players available

id absolutely love to see us try for anelka, whether we get him or not i dont care, but itd be a definite signal of intention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ah come on des, its new years, be nice! :)
    Actually, screw it.

Happy New Year Mr Alan, I'm sure there'll be many more interesting and heated debates in Twenty Oh Eight.

Have a good one mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you too mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I wouldn't get too carried away there mate, he's a good young player with alot of potential.. the key word being potential. Time will tell, like with most young players.
    Agger is still developing, Rafa intends on him to be first choice like carra within a season or two alright, but not quite yet imo. He is still developing (which is frightening), Rafa wanted Heinze to play alongside him as well as Carra in order to develop him more imo. Dunne would do the same job. He wont be playing every week. But it would mean we could give Carra the occassional rest, and not have to play Agger every week.

I think Agger is more than able to be first choice for liverpool already, i think he is an amazing young player, already one of the top CBs in the league. Gonna be a future club captain. And he can only get better playing with the likes of Carra and Dunne every week.

wouldnt call it carried away.

he was played nearly all last season as part of the best defence with the best record in the league. He also can score goals and play football.

He had a nightmare against Chelsea in the CL semi final first leg.

He came back and had Drogba in his pocket for the second leg as well as scoring the goal that sent us to Athens-that shows the mental strenght of the chap.

Guy is brilliant.

What has he won? He's got massive potential.
    wouldnt call it carried away.

he was played nearly all last season as part of the best defence with the best record in the league. He also can score goals and play football.

He had a nightmare against Chelsea in the CL semi final first leg.

He came back and had Drogba in his pocket for the second leg as well as scoring the goal that sent us to Athens-that shows the mental strenght of the chap.

Guy is brilliant.

Dont be stupid. He is only young and has only had one season at Liverpool.

I didn't realize this was the school yard. He's got potential.
    Dont be stupid. He is only young and has only had one season at Liverpool.

He has the potential to be one of the best in the world.

He is already one of the best in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And whats this got to do with transfers? Bah! :p

Mike.

ya sound like scrooge mike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Anyone think there'll be any shock (right out of leftfield) transfers? Like Anelka going back to Arsenal? Haven't had a really juicy transfers in ages

would Heinze to Liverpool count?

Ahh, if it had of gone through originally perhaps. Wouldn't be that much of a shock. Arteta to Liverpool. Now that'd be juicy. You want the fans on the streets throwing traffic cones :D

Who would you have in the team first? Agger or Heinze?

I can certainly see at least 1 major left-fielder considering so many managers have come and gone since last window....
    would Heinze to Liverpool count?

• Advertisement

Heinze at left full. Riise has totally lost it. Bankruptcy and all that :) And Aerulio is a token Brazillian. He's not even black ffs ;)

Agger would develop even better playing along side Heinze/Carra/Hypia every day.

Agger would still be number 1 (or 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Any opinions on whether Berbatov will leave, his agent certainly seems to be suggesting he would like a move to a big club. He certainly does not appear happy even after scoring four at the weekend.

As for Arsenal, I would be very surprised if Wenger went out and bought anyone,I think Gilberto will stay until the summer,can't see us going for Anelka either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Keane would want Berbatov and would be willing to blow 3/5ths of this supposed 20 million for him.

Unfortunately for Sunderland judging by how his agent is talking Bearbatov wouldnt want them. Unless Keane can persude him he has the dosh to turn them into a top 6 and climbing team by the end of the enxt season he wont care.

Keane would want berbatov ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

probably wouldnt mind having Ronaldinho or Eto'o either, maybe a cheeky 1.5 million bid for Kaka

2 million for Hunt is more wat Keane should be aiming for. and even that is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Have you no party to go to?

waiting for my invite from you betty :( . . . . . .

Ah jaysis, you should have said.

I'm going to a party in Clare Hall, on the Northside of Dublin.

Just as soon as the long haired freak I live with dries his bleedin' hair. Worse than a woman tbh. :mad:

I live on the northside and everything! see ya there!

only messin, on me way out the door. have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Keane would want berbatov ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

probably wouldnt mind having Ronaldinho or Eto'o either, maybe a cheeky 1.5 million bid for Kaka

2 million for Hunt is more wat Keane should be aiming for. and even that is ridiculous.

See your point, but Berbatov wouldnt go to Sunderland if they paid his club 50 million and promised him £300,000 a week.

Id rate Hunt currently a £6 million. 2 million is pathetic.

Im sure he wouldnt mind a move, his wage is pretty small in comparison to some of a similiar ability in different clubs

edit- oh yeah, I do have a life, 4 cans, a microwave burger and Im off to see my multitude of hoes :);)

Wow, 2007 over already. Id a ball my two trips abroad. 98% of my time in this kip was sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think Liverpool fans dont remember how crap Heinze was in his last season for us.

He is slow and some of his decisions made him look like a clown. Great first year, but last summer i kept saying "Whats all the fuss about?" I think Liverpool fans want him just to piss us off rather than him being an exellent left-back, but i for one wouldnt give a ****.

Liverpool in double swoop for Arteta and Lescott would be something worth watching though lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Lescott is a cracking player and a cracking lad, have met him a few times, asked him if he would join the pool once (he was not a blue at the time). siad if a premiership club came in for him he would have to see. One did, and he did ;) Not sure Arteta would get a game, although he would prob get a start before Momo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shane86 wrote: »
    Id rate Hunt currently a £6 million. 2 million is pathetic.
    £6m for Hunt? Pfft.
    Methinks £4m tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

From tomorrow's (Tuesday's) papers:
    London Independent reporting Chelsea are interested in Doyle. Sun reckon Berbatov is going to Chelsea (shít report by the looks of it) but Telegraph reckons Spurs won't let him go for less than £25m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Shamrok wrote: »
    From tomorrow's (Tuesday's) papers:
    London Independent reporting Chelsea are interested in Doyle. Sun reckon Berbatov is going to Chelsea (shít report by the looks of it) but Telegraph reckons Spurs won't let him go for less than £25m.
    Kevin Doyle for Chelsea?! up tha yella bellies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cson wrote: »
    Back of the Indo reports Rafa interested in buying Richard Dunne. He was excellent on Sunday and while one game isn't everything Dunne has been excellent for City for some time now. Deserving of a chance beside Carragher (Whose star has fallen this year imo).

Oh how I lol'd. Not a hope in hell of that transfer happening. City are on the up while Liverpool, once again, are stuck in 3rd/4th place limbo land.
    I don't think Dunne would be good enough to replace a fully fit Agger, so I wouldn't like to see him move to Liverpool and warm the bench.

He's better than Agger.
    cson wrote: »
    Somewhat controversially to all you Pool fans, I think he'd be good enough to replace a fully fit Carragher. Based on this seasons form.

+1 Dunne is in the top three centre halves in the league imo and on his day can handle any striker he plays against. But he doesn't play for a fashionable club so he's bound to not be deemed as good as the likes of Carragher/Ferdinand etc. even though he clearly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

From the British Independent the other day.....
    Eriksson spins web to lure £7m 'Spider-man'
    By Jason Burt

Manchester City are interested in signing Jonas Gutierrez, the Argentina international winger who would cost around £7m from the Spanish club Real Mallorca.

With the transfer window opening at midnight last night, City, along with Chelsea, are set to be one of the Premier League's busiest clubs in the 31 days to the end of January when it closes. "We are going to do something," City's manager, Sven Goran Eriksson, said of their transfer plans. "We are working very much to do it. I don't know if it will happen in the first week in January, but it will happen.

"We will be having meetings over the next few days, but it's difficult because we're working and the rest of Europe is on holiday, so it is hard to talk to people right now.

"We are talking to agents, and the players we are discussing are big ones, who could cost a lot of money, as all good footballers do. We're trying in this country as well as abroad."

Gutierrez, a 25-year-old who made his international debut earlier this year and who can also play as a central striker, has been linked with a move to Portsmouth, who bid for him last summer, but it now appears that Eastlands is his most likely destination should he leave Spain.

Gutierrez is a colourful character, who celebrates scoring by donning a Spider-man mask and throwing imaginary nets into the crowd. A complication for any move is that 50 per cent of his transfer value would go to his former club, Newell's Old Boys, which is why Mallorca are holding out for between £7m to £8m.

The fee is not prohibitive for City, however, who regard Gutierrez as the solution to play on the right of midfield, with Martin Petrov on the left, as Eriksson continues to build towards a challenge to finish in the European places this season. The club's owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, has been persuaded that more investment is needed.

City have already secured the signing of the Mexican striker Nery Castillo on a year's loan from Shakhtar Donetsk, with a view to a permanent deal, even though he moved to the Ukraine for £15m only last summer. The 23-year-old has arrived at City but, under Premier League rules, is not eligible for tomorrow's league game away to Newcastle United.

City have also been one of four Premier League clubs – the others being Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal – who have held discussions about signing Luka Modric from Dynamo Zagreb, although he may now stay in Croatia until the summer as his £20m asking price is regarded as too high.

One of Eriksson's main priorities this month is to buy a holding midfielder. First choice is Javier Mascherano, who is also exciting the interest of Barcelona, and who Liverpool have still not secured on a permanent deal. His agreement at Anfield expires next summer unless a fee of £17m is paid. The likelihood is that he will stay, although it is thought that City are pushing for the Argentine to sign a pre-contract agreement and have offered him better terms than those he is on at present.

Finally It's January! Gonna be a busy month at Eastlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Had to LOL at Mascherano going to City, not a chance tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

he joined West Ham didnt he

His owners wont care where he goes aslong as they get the money they want

If City were the only club to offer this fee, then he'd probably have no other choice but to buy him.

I'm not fond of watching Liverpool but if he plays as good as people say he does, then they should have signed him by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you familiar with the transfer issues at Liverpool right now?

Mike.

Yes and thats why Smegball shouldnt laugh at the thought of him joining Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

he joined West Ham didnt he

His owners wont care where he goes aslong as they get the money they want

If City were the only club to offer this fee, then he'd probably have no other choice but to buy him.

I'm not fond of watching Liverpool but if he plays as good as people say he does, then they should have signed him by now.

why on earth would we have handed over 17m (or less as it probably is) a year before we had to (we have a first option)? That makes no financial sense. He wants to say, Rafa wants him to say. There is no rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

shane86 wrote: »
    Keane would want Berbatov and would be willing to blow 3/5ths of this supposed 20 million for him.

Unfortunately for Sunderland judging by how his agent is talking Bearbatov wouldnt want them. Unless Keane can persude him he has the dosh to turn them into a top 6 and climbing team by the end of the enxt season he wont care.

There's as much chance of Keane signing Maradona in fairness. Berbatov has no notion of going there. It will be United, Chelsea or a move abroad for him. Says alot about Tottenham's current standing that they can't hold onto players like him. Berb's agent says he 'wants to play for a club that match his talent and ambiton'. Not saying alot for Spurs really!

Keano is chancing his arm with his 2.5M offer for Hunt. He's worth a bit more than that, though not as much as some here are suggesting. Keane needs to start signing some proven performers and not the mish-mash of unproven youngsters and has-beens that he's been bringing in thus far. Wes Brown would be a great signing for Sunderland, they're leaking way too many goals and he could be available for a bargain price. Might be too much of a step down for Brown though, he's better than that.

Mascherano could end up anywhere tbh. There's no valid reason to suggest it wouldnt be Man City, he'd fit right in there. £17m is absolutely crazy money though, worth half that maybe.

• Advertisement

why on earth would we have handed over 17m (or less as it probably is) a year before we had to (we have a first option)? That makes no financial sense. He wants to say, Rafa wants him to say. There is no rush.

Your forgetting these people who own him arent the most legit people in the world.

Doesnt matter if Rafa wants him or he wants to stay. If those yanks dont want to pay the money to a dodgy Iranian, then he's not going to Liverpool. If Madrid or Barcelona come in with bids for Tevez/Mascherano that are more than the fee's agreed by Man Utd and Liverpool with these people, I dont think there simpy going to say sorry we agreed fee's with other clubs already. IMI or whatever there called are in it for the money, so these deals are never going to be straightforward with these people involved. Real could offer Liverpool £5million for first option and the yanks might accept likewise at Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Savman wrote: »
    Mascherano could end up anywhere tbh. There's no valid reason to suggest it wouldnt be Man City, he'd fit right in there. £17m is absolutely crazy money though, worth half that maybe.

You reckon hes only worth 8.5m ? The mind boggles. Hes one of the best holding midfielder's in thew world, a very important player for the Argentine national squad and is only 23!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

£8.5m is way too low for him.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So what is the deal with Mascherano, is his loan spell up now or at the end of the season. I am guessing liverpool have the option of buying him but only at a pre agreed price, which is rumoured to be around the 18m mark.

So as already mentioned here, if the pool board fail to come up with the money, he could in theory end up anywhere on a short term loan deal again.

Tusky wrote: »
    You reckon hes only worth 8.5m ? The mind boggles. Hes one of the best holding midfielder's in thew world, a very important player for the Argentine national squad and is only 23!
    Only worth £8.5m? :eek:
    It's all a matter of context, I don't think he's worth anywhere near £17m, that's not to say someone won't pay it, maybe they will, I'm just saying I can never see a player like Mascherano proving good value for that kind of megabucks £9m(ish) I would've thought was about the going rate on the market.
    Shamrok wrote:
    £8.5m is way too low for him.
    Fans usually tend to overrate their own players.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    So what is the deal with Mascherano, is his loan spell up now or at the end of the season. I am guessing liverpool have the option of buying him but only at a pre agreed price, which is rumoured to be around the 18m mark.

So as already mentioned here, if the pool board fail to come up with the money, he could in theory end up anywhere on a short term loan deal again.
    I think that's basically it, apparently there's a buyout clause with his "owners" for £17m or whatever. I can kinda understand why Liverpool owners are reluctant to sanction the transfer, its very much inflated and they probably know most of the money will end up with some dodgy "football property rights" company with south american ties.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Savman wrote: »
    I'm just saying I can never see a player like Mascherano proving good value for that kind of megabucks £9m(ish) I would've thought was about the going rate on the market.

do you know anything about the market?
    tell me a high profile player a similar quality whos transferred for that kind of money?
    nobody, alonso was the last world class midfielder i've seen at in and around that mark, other than that you have to look at essien(brilliant player worth 20odd million) hargreaves (not worth the money not near masch standard) carrick (lol) who else? psh posh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Mascherano, in my books, is just about worth £17m in today's market. Holding midfielders of that quality are not easy to find, there's probably only ~10 really world class (as in, would be good enough for any title-challenging team) in the world and Mascherano is one of them. To mayordenis, I'd point out that Hargreaves is another. The holding midfielder, in today's game, is one of the most important positions on the pitch - in many cases the most important. Just look at the problems different teams have had when they neglect it (England with Lampard/Gerrard, United when Keane left, Real Madrid when Makelele left vs. Chelsea when Makelele arrived, etc). The holding midfielder is a player you base your team around, for years in some cases.

£17m is a fair price for a player of Mascherano's youth and already proven ability.

EDIT: Just to clarify, thinking of the 'world class' (yeah, I know) holding midfielders playing today, I'm thinking Mascherano, Hargreaves, Essien, De Rossi, Cambiasso, Gattuso, Xavi, maybe a few others depending on how you define the role. Considering none of the above are on the market at all really, Liverpool paying big money to secure Mascherano makes even more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Apparently Riise is a target for Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Apparently Riise is a target for Valencia.
    Swap deal for Villa, maybe? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Hope Doyle gets the move..he deserves it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement