Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Movers and Shakers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Its like how a Spanish student would write English....I think that is the best way to describe it. To be honest I have never seen a Robot write.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

30 yr old Quinton Fortune's training with Sunderland and available for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

30 yr old Quinton Fortune's training with Sunderland and available for free

Keane needs to get a grip he is turning sunderland into an old boys club for ex united players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

to call Quinton Fortune an ex-United "player" might be going a tad far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's a bit harsh. He played quite a few games for United, and was a useful enough squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fortune was decent when fit.

So it was rare when we saw it :(

Played a blinder against Liverpool the game Forlan scored twice though :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Unearthly wrote: »
    Fortune was decent when fit.

So it was rare when we saw it :(

agreed, there was a portion of his united career where he was playing solidly in central midfield - he became a very important player for us for a while, then he picked up a bad injury and his career with us ended as a result. That game against Liverpool was probably the best he played for us.

Ah he was only bought to sell shirts in South Africa! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If he does a decent job and hepls them stay up he'll have been worth teh gamble. If he's crap and ends up getting **** all games he'll have been worth every penny they paid and it's no real loss.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

PHB wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. He played quite a few games for United, and was a useful enough squad player.

Agreed, he played over 70 games for us and played well is a hell of a lot of them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=506343&in_page_id=1779
    Sven puts Podolski top of City hit-list

Sven Goran Eriksson's reputation as a manager has grown since he took over at Manchester City, and he looks set to enhance it further by pulling off the biggest coup of the January transfer window in signing Bayern Munich striker Lukas Podolski on loan until the end of the season.

Podolski, who would fetch at least £15million on the open market, is regarded as potentially his country's best forward since Gerd Muller.

He was one of the brightest stars at the last World Cup but has struggled to win his place back in the Bayern side this season after injury.

Now this has me very excited. Apparently our initial bid was rejected by Bayern, much to the disgust of the player himself who is now refusing to train. As a result a loan deal is apparently now being discussed as a compromise.

Podolski was voted Young Player of the Tournament at the last World Cup and I think he would be another excellent signing.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=506343&in_page_id=1779

Now this has me very excited. Apparently our initial bid was rejected by Bayern, much to the disgust of the player himself who is now refusing to train. As a result a loan deal is apparently now being discussed as a compromise.

Podolski was voted Young Player of the Tournament at the last World Cup and I think he would be another excellent signing.

He has been crap since he signed for Bayern. Regarded as potentially his country's best forward since Gerd Muller? Maybe a couple of years ago.

This is the opinion of my german colleague here at work, who is obviously a big fan of german football.

Tauren wrote: »
    He has been crap since he signed for Bayern. Regarded as potentially his country's best forward since Gerd Muller? Maybe a couple of years ago.

This is the opinion of my german colleague here at work, who is obviously a big fan of german football.

Yeah he's scored 4 goals in 30 games for Bayern but most of those appearances have been from the bench, and he's been injured for quite a while. Plus a partnership of Klose and Toni is gonna be hard to break up. I prefer to look at his international record of 44 games, 24 goals. Plus a loan deal means f*ck all risk really and we need a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Would be a decent loan signing if you ask me, him and Castillo.. promising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yeah he's scored 4 goals in 30 games for Bayern but most of those appearances have been from the bench, and he's been injured for quite a while. Plus a partnership of Klose and Toni is gonna be hard to break up. I prefer to look at his international record of 44 games, 24 goals. Plus a loan deal means f*ck all risk really and we need a striker.

Sure ye might as well go after Crouch if thats the case.

astrofool wrote: »

or David Healy :cool:

astrofool wrote: »

Why? Podolski's a totally different player and more suited to our fast break style of play. We don't need that lanky waste of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a signed Podolski Fc Koeln shirt, saw a fair few games in his final season with them. As much as I love him, he's good but the Germans overrate him quite alot. He's proven he's not what people thought he was by being a flop at Bayern. £15m is an absolute rip off for him imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd say Podolski would be similar standard to Kevin Doyle.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'd say Podolski would be similar standard to Kevin Doyle.

And I'd gladly take Doyle at City given the opportunity. Can't see us getting him on a loan deal though unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why? Podolski's a totally different player and more suited to our fast break style of play. We don't need that lanky waste of space.

I think the crouchy reference was only because someone brought up Podolski's national team scoring record to counter his club record, which is also the case with the Crouchinators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think the crouchy reference was only because someone brought up Podolski's national team scoring record to counter his club record, which is also the case with the Crouchinators.

'zactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

True but didn't he score a hatful of England goals in those friendlies before the WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

True but didn't he score a hatful of England goals in those friendlies before the WC?

yup, still though, all in all he has 14goals from 14international starts. Not bad really regardless how you look at it. Important to note as well that in the Euro Qualifiers he got 5goals from 6 starts and 2 sub appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah I agree, stillthink Crouch is underrated but that's neither here nor there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I prefer to look at his international record of 44 games, 24 goals.
    By that logic, David Healy is one of the most valuable strikers in the world! Also, I do seem to remember that Podolski scored 4 goals in one game alone against San Marino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Apparently, two Irish players and an English player are due to be transfer listed by Keano after they were caught taking cocaine during the Sunderland Christmas party.

I won't mention the names, it's potentially libellous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Apparently, two Irish players and an English player are due to be transfer listed by Keano after they were caught taking cocaine during the Sunderland Christmas party.

I won't mention the names, it's potentially libellous.

makes no sense to transfer list players for that because nobody will sign anyone keane transfer lists now on the basis that they could be one of the players who were taking drugs, surely firing them for breach of contract and claiming the insurance money back would be an ACTUAL realistic option if that story was true?

I am convinced by his national team performances that Podolski is class. Him and Castillo would scare the **** out of me anyway!

By that logic, David Healy is one of the most valuable strikers in the world! Also, I do seem to remember that Podolski scored 4 goals in one game alone against San Marino.

Fine then I'll just settle for the guy who won the Young Player of the Tournament award at the last World Cup. Oh hold on, that was Podolski.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So Chelsea have had their first bid for Anelka rejected. I wonder how much Bolton are gonna squeeze em for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

OH!

EAsy Tiger!

Im sure Newcastle kept a few clean sheets when Titus Bramble was playing for them, doesnt mean he was good :)

Spurs have kept some clean sheets this year, doesnt mean that Dason, Chimbonda, Lee and Kaboul are any good either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

SofaKing wrote: »
    So Chelsea have had their first bid for Anelka rejected. I wonder how much Bolton are gonna squeeze em for...

Hes almost 29 isn't he ? Wouldn't say too much more than the rejected 12m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Fine then I'll just settle for the guy who won the Young Player of the Tournament award at the last World Cup.

the same award that ronaldo was shafted for cos of the english media?

OH!

EAsy Tiger!

Im sure Newcastle kept a few clean sheets when Titus Bramble was playing for them, doesnt mean he was good :)

Spurs have kept some clean sheets this year, doesnt mean that Dason, Chimbonda, Lee and Kaboul are any good either :)

I never said good, I said decent ;)

To be fair there wasn't any times when watching Fortune play I thought he was out of his depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Tusky wrote: »
    Hes almost 29 isn't he ? Wouldn't say too much more than the rejected 12m.
    Yeh, id say something in the region of 15-20mil.

Sure they paid for 30mil for a 29yo Shevchenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say they'll get close to the 18 million they want.

PHB wrote: »
    I'd say they'll get close to the 18 million they want.

If that goes through, it would be amazing the amount of money that has been spent on Anelka through his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

If that goes through, it would be amazing the amount of money that has been spent on Anelka through his career
    It'd be around the 90 million mark now after that deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You are paranoid.

You think the English Media has that much of an influence on FIFA?

Deluded you are.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    You are paranoid.

You think the English Media has that much of an influence on FIFA?

Deluded you are.

did the english media effect the english fans? yes. did the english fans turning up at portugals next game (cause they had already bought tickets in case england got through) and massively booing Ronaldo every time he got the ball effect Fifa? Maybe....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What??

How have the english media got anything to do with an award given out by Fifa?

Crawl out of Ronaldo's arse ffs

did the english media effect the english fans? yes. did the english fans turning up at portugals next game (cause they had already bought tickets in case england got through) and massively booing Ronaldo every time he got the ball effect Fifa? Maybe....

Lol there are some great comedians on here.

Lol there are some great comedians on here.

GOL, whatever. Just because you do not agree is not reason to insult me. I believe the fan reaction to Ronaldo after the complete non-story at the world cup that was hyped by the tabloids and BBC in particular had a massive effect on who got the award. Ronaldo was head and shoulders above Podolski in that tournement. Of course, being the golden boy of the home nation was also a good help for him.

GOL, whatever. Just because you do not agree is not reason to insult me. I believe the fan reaction to Ronaldo after the complete non-story at the world cup that was hyped by the tabloids and BBC in particular had a massive effect on who got the award. Ronaldo was head and shoulders above Podolski in that tournement. Of course, being the golden boy of the home nation was also a good help for him.

How do the english media effect FIFA?

Melion wrote: »
    How do the english media effect FIFA?

Seriously. Do you actually bother to read posts?

What did he do in your eyes that meant he should have gotten the award? 1 goal, a penalty IIRC. Not exactly a good return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I believe the fan reaction to Ronaldo after the complete non-story at the world cup that was hyped by the tabloids and BBC in particular had a massive effect on who got the award.
    WTF?

How do you believe that?

The BBC influences FIFA?

Just because some English fans turned up to boo Ronaldo, FIFA didn't give him an award? Bizarre you could think this tbh. Utterly bizarre.
    Of course, being the golden boy of the home nation was also a good help for him.
    Now you are being sensible. This is more likely the reason for him winning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

oh dear god please dont turn this thread into an endless arguement on something totally irrelevant to the topic at hand!! **** sake, ronaldo was fantastic during that tournament, podolski was also very good, im sure the perception of ronaldo by the media did effect the fifa decision from a PR standpoint and i think its naive to think that its not possible that it happened.....

can you imagine the stick fifa would have gotten if he had got the award??? england are very important to fifa, along with spain they are the two most important footballing nations now in terms of revenue generated for fifa and interest in the game in general....

i imagine that and him being a home hero and the fact that he did play well probbaly had alot to do with him getting the award, but does it really matter in a thread about transfer rumours and **** like that?

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    WTF?

How do you believe that?

The BBC influences FIFA?
    Because that is what i have said, isn't it?

Oh wait, it is not... hmmm... maybe what i said is slightly, but importantly different to your version of you you think I said. Maybe. Just maybe.

Advertisement