Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Movers and Shakers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think the thing with Savage is he will be seen as one of the better players at Derby, he spoke about how the manager tried to sign him before and I think he probably feels he will have an easier time of it than if he went to Sunderland where expectations are higher and Keano will given him a really tough time if he isn't performing, i.e. a lot more pressure.

Just my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stekelly wrote: »
    The savage move has me confused. I cant see a reason why he would choose Derby over Sunderland. At least with Sunderland he has a shot at being in the PL next season. Unless they were offering him atrocious wages, but I cant see why they would be.
    Maybe he just didn't want to play for Keane for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Seemed full of praise for Roy Keane during todays press conference. Savage is hardly one to hide how he really feels in front of the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Maybe he just didn't want to play for Keane for whatever reason.

have you ever been to Sunderland? Not much for his missus to do while hes off training...

Archimedes wrote: »
    Seemed full of praise for Roy Keane during todays press conference. Savage is hardly one to hide how he really feels in front of the media.
    Oh I'm sure he praises Keano, but did he want the pressure of playing under him?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think Diarra might just be stupid enough to go to Newcastle.

I don't think Nasri is rated as highly by most managers as he is by fandom. FM hero and such. I wouldn't be surprised if Man City did manage to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Villain wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure he praises Keano, but did he want the pressure of playing under him?

He's prbably better off at Derby so, he probably wouldnt want to have to over exert himself.

Diarra has been left out of the Arsenal squad tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know what that could mean in relation to transfers, its not like it would cup tie him or anything. He was put into the Arsenal FA Cup squad.

I think Diarra might move, I'd say he's feeling pretty disappointed about moving to Arsenal, and doesn't want to waste anymore time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Still a bit nuts to go changing clubs every 5 minutes though. He's still young. IMO considering he's at Arsenal, his best bet is to wait for Gilberto to leave (which would be sooner rather then later were Diarra to stay), and then just wait for his chance. Flamini is the only player stopping him playing. He's in great form, but sooner or later he needs to be rested, or will get a slight injury, and then Diarra can show what he can do. If he takes his chance, great, if he still gets overlooked, then maybe it might be worth moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just to point out Laursen WON'T be sold during this transfer window, he may leave in the summer if his contract is up but that is also unlikely as MON will most likely offer him a contract.

Villian, i know you think he is loyal as hell and will probably stay, but when a player makes noises like this and MON is famously slow for sorting out transfers/contracts etc, i think its foolish to rule out anything.

From Eurosport (taken from Villa thread):

Martin Laursen has admitted he would be open to a move to either Tottenham or Newcastle - but is also happy to extend his stay at Aston Villa.The Denmark international's current deal expires in the summer, and a number of clubs have been linked with a swoop for the defender.

And following fresh reports that both Spurs and Newcastle are keen to seal a deal for Laursen, the 30-year-old says an offer would be tempting.

"I've read in the press that those two clubs would be interested in me," he said in the Birmingham Mail.

"I don't know if they have spoken to Aston Villa, I haven't heard anything, but it's two big clubs and it's certainly something that would interest me."

However, Laursen has not ruled out extending his current deal at Villa Park.

"I'm feeling really well with Villa and would be open to extend with them if the terms are right."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Alan wrote: »
    "I'm feeling really well with Villa and would be open to extend with them if the terms are right."

or offered

lol

ha ha ha :)

Newspaper reports in Italy say Mellberg has agreed to Join Juve and they hope to sign Sissoko from Liverpool for €15m this week or next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Newspaper reports in Italy say Mellberg has agreed to Join Juve and they hope to sign Sissoko from Liverpool for €15m this week or next.

If that €15m quote was any way true it just shows how outta hand the whole of valuation of players has gone. I'm a fan[or maybe was] of Momo, he has a great physical presence on the pitch but that's about it, as someone said earlier if we got £5m for him........grab it.

Anyone know the latest on Carson, is he goin' to sign for Villa this window, or the summer?

• Advertisement

The loan isn't up until the Summer so he won't sign until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

€15m for Sissoko?

If that happens then you will actually be able to hear the laughter around Anfield at Liverpool home games, from Ireland, maybe even from China.

Chelsea have done a deal to sign Anelka for £15 million according to BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep, it's on BBC Radio too.

Good signing, his premier league goals record is very good, not a replacment for Drogba though who is said he want to leave in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Good signing for Chelsea. Full story and details here => http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7175749.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I'm guessing he'll go straight into the starting line up for tommorrows game against Spurs (provided of course all relevant documentation was submitted before twelve). Anyone think Grant will start him on the bench?

Does that just leave Bolton with the one striker?

Larsson considering his future:
    I arrived home on Thursday from a holiday in South Africa to discover there have been all sorts of rumours about where I'm going next and there have even been 'sightings' of me in Glasgow!

Well, it's all very flattering that people care and if they want you to come to their team that is really nice. I'm glad that I'm wanted anywhere and I appreciate people's interest. But the honest fact is that I still haven't made any decision about what I'm going to do.

I'm going to have a chat with the board here at Helsingborg this weekend about a few things and then I'll take my time and decide what I'm going to do. There are a few things that I need to discuss at Helsingborg.

Whatever decision I make won't have anything to do with economics. It's a number of other things. There are lots of personal factors and football factors to consider. Unfortunately anybody who thinks I'll be making a quick decision is going to be disappointed. This a very important time and I have to make the right choices.
    http://www.icons.com/HL/diary.html?11.01.08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*ck...

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Does that just leave Bolton with the one striker?

Still have Davies and Diouf, and then as backups Vaz Te (who looks great sometimes and not so great others..) and Heider Helguson, though he's barely played. They have a few other lads as well listed as strikers, but i don't know anything about any of em. ( Zoltan Harsanyi and Daniel Braaten for example)

I wouldn't really class Diouf as a striker. He averages a goal every 6 or 7 games and has been mainly playing on the wing for Bolton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Villa poised to sign Henrik Larsson on loan
    Jan 11 2008

By Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

SWEDISH international striker Henrik Larsson is poised to sign for Villa on loan until the end of the season. The 36-year-old Helsingborgs star was due back in Sweden yesterday for the start of their preparations for next month's UEFA Cup tie against PSV Eindhoven.

But he was seen in England earlier this week and it has now been reported he has agreed to a shock link-up with Martin O'Neill after their successful partnership at Celtic.

Larsson is best known for helping the Glasgow club win four titles in seven years.

He subsequently had a two-year spell at Barcelona, where he won two titles and the Champions League.

He joined Manchester United on a brief loan spell between January and March 2007 – and scored against Villa in a third-round FA Cup tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

do villa need him?
    their strikers are doin well at the moment.

Emm Larsson is always needed, be great to have him on the bench instead of deadwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

prendy wrote: »
    do villa need him?
    their strikers are doin well at the moment.

Larrson would be a class addition to any squad. The inteligence and experience would be of great benefit to any and all strikers in the premiership.

Edit to add: Villia need a striker too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Delighted with that Skrtel signing. From what ive read he sounds perfect for the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is turning into the buisest Jan window so far. Usually big moves seem to happen right at the end of the month.

An angry Carra with Skrtel alongside will frighten off a few strikers!

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    This is turning into the buisest Jan window so far. Usually big moves seem to happen right at the end of the month.

It is alright, id say theres plenty more to come as well since so many managers were sacked and all the new guys want to put their stamp on the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Killme00 wrote: »
    Larrson would be a class addition to any squad. The inteligence and experience would be of great benefit to any and all strikers in the premiership.

Edit to add: Villia need a striker too

villa need a striker who isnt 36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Latest word on the City streets -
    I just been down there (Carrington, City's training ground) and f*ck me there's loads of press there, expect something big to happen tonight. I asked the big security guy he said that 3 players were having medicals, not including Akram. I asked who he said he recognised one of them and that was Cisse, he said there was a shortish lad and a really tall guy too. Another guy there reckoned one of the others was Diego and the big guy was Elmander. Watch this space.

Pass the salt please

If City sign Diego tonight and have Elano and Diego in attacking midfield, thats me scared ****less.

Cisse is better than Vassell so yeah, Sven is the business. Dont rate Elmander personally but we arnt sure its him.

ALKMAAR, Jan 11 (SW) - Dutch Eredivisie outfit AZ Alkmaar has requested a speed trial concerning the possible transfer of Brazilian SC Heerenveen striker Afonso Alves.

AZ claims to have a written transfer agreement with Heerenveen, who so far refused to actually allow the move to take place.

The player himself also signed a deal with AZ, which binds him to the team from January 1st of this year.

Well-known AZ manager Louis van Gaal is hopeful about the matter: "With Alves it'll be easier to bridge the gap with the best teams in the Eredivisie.

"It's not good though that we're only talking about Alves now, while we play a game against Ajax on Sunday. We have to win that one," said the former Ajax and Barcelona coach.

Meanwhile, Alves has been linked to several other clubs, namely Manchester City and Middlesbrough. The latter even posted a photo of the forward on their official website earlier this week.
    http://www.soccerway.com/news/2008/January/11/az-puts-pressure-on-alves-case

• Advertisement

Geovanni is leaving to join Deportivo so I'd say we're in the market for a midfielder -

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/news.php?start_from=5&ucat=&archive=&subaction=&id=&

GEOVANNI WILL BE THE FIRST WINTER REINFORCEMENT

11 Jan 2008 -- The agent of Geovanni Deiberson said to newspaper La Opinión A Coruña that everything is done with Deportivo, and that the only thing left is to close his link with Manchester City. It seems that everything would be resolved on Monday, meaning the Brazilian will be the first Depor's reinforcement during the winter window.

It seems that Lotina already has a new choice to cover the right wing and the playmaking function. And is that Geovanni Deiberson Mauricio (27) is near to sign for Deportivo, as the agent of the Brazilian, Roberto Assunção, said to newspaper La Opinión: "Everything is done and we are only waiting for the approval by (Manchester) City. "

The key for the operation is a clause in the contract wit the Premiership club, this clause stipulates that if the player receives an interesting offer during the winter window, then Manchester City could allow his exit for free. The signing could be closed this Friday, but the agent prefers to say that everything should be solved by next Monday "We have a clause that allows his exit, but we have to talk with the club in order to fulfill this, and I believe that everything will be fixed for the next Monday."

Giovanni's agent also gave some clues about his contract with Deportivo "The player likes the offer of Deportivo and he's enchanted with the idea. It will probably be a transfer operation and the contract will be for a period of a year and a half. The rest of this season and the following one." Another positive information is that the Brazilian already has a EU-passport, meaning he doesn't need one of the three foreign spots in the club.

Never really got a fair craic of the whip but In Sven We Trust so he musn't have fit the bill. Best of luck to tha lad. He will have a place in our hearts for a that goal in the derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think he fitted a purpose, but I was never impressed with him throughout a whole game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

mike65 wrote: »

An angry Carra with Skrtel alongside will frighten off a few strikers!

surely you mean agger and skrtel ?
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If City sign Diego tonight and have Elano and Diego in attacking midfield, thats me scared ****less.

both of them in the same midfield is suicide, i love diego and hope he doesnt go to man city, i like watching him in the champions league.

kdjac

If City sign Mancini(he is not the same Mancini of 2006) where does that leave Ireland?

KdjaCL wrote: »
    both of them in the same midfield is suicide, i love diego and hope he doesnt go to man city, i like watching him in the champions league.

kdjac

LOL!!!!1111!!!!

You won't want him joining Pats anytime soon then.

Saying having 2 players that cant play together is bull****. People said it about Rooney and Tevez and to be honest it made me laugh. I can see what you mean on this point though, but Diego can hold, but sure wouldnt Hamman be holding anyway so its just another stupidly talented and creative outlet when either one off the pace or marked out of it.

I dont think Diego will join City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Xavi6 wrote: »
    LOL!!!!1111!!!!

You won't want him joining Pats anytime soon then.

Guessing you didnt see him destroy Real away earlier this season, imo what he did in that game gets him performance of the season he was un ****ing real, shame he was missing from the 2nd game reckon they would have qualified only for his red card in an earlier game which was harsh guess you watched that too.

You still a bohs or shels fan forget which.........or just focusing on man city cos they not in a relegation battle?

Sing when your winning was a robbie williams album from a few years ago must send you a copy.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Saying having 2 players that cant play together is bull****. People said it about Rooney and Tevez and to be honest it made me laugh. I can see what you mean on this point though, but Diego can hold, but sure wouldnt Hamman be holding anyway so its just another stupidly talented and creative outlet when either one off the pace or marked out of it.

I dont think Diego will join City.

2 attacking midfielders in the premier league lol your having a laugh Elano played as an SS with 2 DMF Hamman and local lad, playing Diego and Elano as suggested is PL suicide. Seriously know the players before you post otherwise you look clueless to other football.

kdjac

ouch :)

Hhahah. PWND.

KdjaCL wrote: »

You still a bohs or shels fan forget which.........or just focusing on man city cos they not in a relegation battle?

Sing when your winning was a robbie williams album from a few years ago must send you a copy.
    kdjac

Now you've really p*ssed me off. Sing when you're winning? I've been City through and through for 18 f*cking years. I've been to see them play in the Premiership, Division 1 and Division 2 so don't you dare question my f*cking loyalties.

As for eL, I've supported Shels for as long as I've supported City and was a regular at Tolka when I lived in Ireland. My current living arrangements make it very difficult to commute to away games.

Get down off your f*cking pedistal because you haven't clue what you're talking about as usual.

By the way I think Elano and Diego could play in the same team.

Hamann Ireland Johnson

Diego Petrov

Elano

• Advertisement
Advertisement