Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Insulation smouldering

Options
  • 31-12-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

after being away for a week i turned on the heating last night and then when in the boiler house noticed smoke coming from the burner unit. On investigation it seems the insulation in the unit is smouldering.

Can anyone suggest what would cause this? solutions?

A service is on the cards but given time of year may take time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Possibly overheating due to bad fuel or a poor mix.
    I'd get somebody out ASAP as further overheating could damage the heat exchanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Possibly overheating due to bad fuel or a poor mix.
    I'd get somebody out ASAP as further overheating could damage the heat exchanger.

I wont be using it until someone comes out to look

It was operating alright up to now, fuel in two months at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Quick question.......... any bad smell to go with the burning?

Only asking as I have had mice move into insulation on a cooker that wasn't used for a couple of months and when it was used again the smell was awlful - pause for jokes about "fried mice". Not very likely in this case but it might be worth checking as rodents can do a lot of damage to insulation if they can get to it so it might not be the insulation thats burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Its the insulation alright..I can see it

Advertisement