Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Higgins MBE

• 31-12-2007 4:00pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

John Higgins, the 888.com World Champion, has been awarded the MBE in the New Year Honours list.

Higgins beat Mark Selby 18-13 in the Crucible final in May, becoming only the eighth player in the modern era to win the world title on more than one occasion. The Wizard of Wishaw also earned the No 1 position in the world rankings.

The Scot now joins the likes of Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis, John Parrott, Mark Williams and Jimmy White in having his achievements recognised by the Queen.

"When I was asked if I’d like to receive an MBE, I was just stunned," said Higgins. "As a snooker player you don’t expect awards like these.

"It’s a good thing for the sport that it is getting recognition. I’m just delighted, it’s fantastic.

"I’m looking forward to the trip to Buckingham Palace now. I’ll make sure my wife gets a new dress and hat and it’ll be great to take the kids along in kilts.

"Some people who have been awarded MBEs have maybe gone downhill a little bit afterwards," added the 32-year-old. "I don’t know if they think I’m going downhill but I hope I’m not. I plan to be around quite a while longer."

BBC News

World Snooker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Fair play....Great player. Some people think he's a bit boring, but I like watching him. Solid in every department.

Advertisement