Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help dog trouble!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

kerrysgold wrote: »
    EVERY dog should be neutered whether it is to calm them down or not.
    There is no need for an entire dog or unspayed bitch unless they are perfect specimens of the breed or show dogs. The ignorant attitude of ''it's unfair to neuter the dog'' is the reason why about 20,000 of them are killed every year! A dog doesn't even care that it's been neutered, a female may be sore for a few days but she won't care either. It's the owners that have the problem! Neutered dog's don't get fat, no dog will get fat if it is fed and excersized properly.

Personally I'd rather be dead than neutered and I think brother dog feels the same way. Spay bitches by all means it doesn't seem to affect them but if you think a dogs personality isn't changed for the worse when castrated then I don't think you're paying close attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Personally I'd rather be dead than neutered and I think brother dog feels the same way. Spay bitches by all means it doesn't seem to affect them but if you think a dogs personality isn't changed for the worse when castrated then I don't think you're paying close attention.

And your approach to the neutering/spaying is an anthropomorphic one and THAT is usually the root of the problem for having so many unwanted dogs in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

EVERY dog should be neutered whether it is to calm them down or not.
    There is no need for an entire dog or unspayed bitch unless they are perfect specimens of the breed or show dogs. The ignorant attitude of ''it's unfair to neuter the dog'' is the reason why about 20,000 of them are killed every year! A dog doesn't even care that it's been neutered, a female may be sore for a few days but she won't care either. It's the owners that have the problem! Neutered dog's don't get fat, no dog will get fat if it is fed and excersized properly.

My dog isn't neutered, he isn't fat, he isn't a "Perfect Specimen" and he is well behaved.

actually pedigree dogs make me sick, they are just status symbols.
    like who would pay a grand for a dog prone to certain illnesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

You obviously don't understand your dog at all, dog's don't sit around thinking oh, if I'm neutered I'm going to have a lesser quality of life. Dogs don't think like that! Dog's don't care if they have been neutered or not. I doubt they even notice! And if you think a neutered dog's behaviour is worse than an entire dogs, then you obviously don't know much about dog's at all. Any dog that is badly behaved is down to training but a dog will calm down usually after being neutered. A dog that is constantly trying to hump your leg/other dogs/furniture etc!, and won't let go, is no fun to be around!

And you're obviously just sympathetic towards male dogs as your obviously a guy. Don't all your theories apply to female dog's then?

EGAR wrote: »
    And your approach to the neutering/spaying is an anthropomorphic one

No the comparison hinges on my similarity to a dog (or any male social mammal) and not vice-versa.

• Advertisement

No, your comparison hinges on you applying HUMAN adjectives/way of thinking to a canine. And THAT is anthropomorphic :D and also very wrong ;)

Dog's don't care if they have been neutered or not. I doubt they even notice! And if you think a neutered dog's behaviour is worse than an entire dogs, then you obviously don't know much about dog's at all.

Sorry I should have been more specific I did not mean "worse" as you would have it but "worse" in regard to how a dog is supposed to function.

And of course the dog hasn't a clue to 'care' but given that a dogs behaviour is dependent on the androgens produced by its gonads it's behaviour is altered when these go 'missing'.

but given that a dogs behaviour is dependent on the androgens produced by its gonads it's behaviour is altered when these go 'missing'.

That implies SOLELY which is clearly not the case. A dog's behaviour stems from alot of different things, not just the production levels of androgens. A change in BEHAVIOUR after a castration very much depends on the state of development (mentally and physically) at the time of the OP. It also depends on outside factors, ie existing pack orders. High androgen (in specific testosterone levels) have been linked to higher aggression in males, not just dogs :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Brother dog has little more than instinct, when a dog is neutered that instinct is diminished along with the associated aggression. Every dog who is just a companion animal should be neutered, i've had many dogs, mostly males and from my experience there is more change in a spayed bitch than a castrated male. How would you like if you could keep your nuts but never be allowed to have sex again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

The only thing neutering calms is testosterone.Unless the shih sees his owner as a sex object - although advisable in general terms - it won't help with this.
    Once the 'urge to merge' is removed a dog's nutritional needs go down so it doesn't need as much or as rich a diet.
    Neutering does NOT cause weight gain!!!(sorry -pressed my button there-spend SO much time arguing for neutering)
    Overfeeding is what causes obesity.
    There is obviously a dominance thing going on here-he freezes when the lead goes on because he knows it puts his owner in charge.Bright dogs these shihs.You most definitely need some professional help with him -and don't feel bad -you're not the first that's been had by one of these!

• Advertisement

I quote myself again:
    I am all for neutering for population control. I am not one to suggest neutering as miracle/instant cure of behavioural issues, especially human aggression, however, it will calm him down a bit, it usually takes about 4 weeks for the effect to set in in a male dog.

As to:
    The only thing neutering calms is testosterone.Unless the shih sees his owner as a sex object - although advisable in general terms - it won't help with this.

Not strictly true as neutering also does away with the stress which comes with the urge to mate. It does make some animals including some male dogs more placid to handle. Why else would we catstrate stallions and bulls? :D Neutering CAN help with dominance issues if the dog has a high sex drive and regards everything *his own*. It also CAN help with ranking problems as a neutered animal sink automatically in rank. However, I would have big problems reccomending (sp) neutering as the be all and end all. Training it the solution to this problem, with neutering to calm down the dog.
    Neutering does NOT cause weight gain!!!(sorry -pressed my button there-spend SO much time arguing for neutering)
    Overfeeding is what causes obesity.

Also not based on facts as males typically have less adipose tissue than females. It all depends on the TYPE of dog and the age it was neutered. However, the need for exercise might slump if the male dog was highly sexually driven. Diet and exercise must be adjusted accordingly.

I have a neutered male lurcher here who is as thin as a rake, despite good food he is refusing to put on weight. It is just his type, he is as healthy as a horse and still highly active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 louiset002

Hi Katie, how are you getting on with your dog? I am no animal behaviourist but I can offer some advice. I have 2 dogs, 1 collie (3yrs) and a Lurcher (9 months) and I train them in agility. I would def advise you to get him neutered anyway. The problem of over breeding and dogs being destroyed is huge in ireland. Plus it actually reduces the chance of the dogs getting certain types of cancer. You should only share affection with your dog when he is calm and submissive. Do not try to pet him when he is biting, jumping or showing excitement in any way. For the lead problem I would put the lead on numerous times during the day and give him a treat so he associates the lead with positive things. Eventually reduce the treats ans replace with affection/play as confidence builds. Plenty of excercise is always a great thing also. Ensure your position as pack leader by being calm and assertive, remember it is about what you want not what he wants, you are the one who pays the bills! Finally tune into the dog whisperer, Ceaser Millan, he is a genious! :) Would love to know how you get on, dont give up, you are the leader!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 animaladvice

:) Hi there,
    A few suggestions, don't hit him, he won't understand why you are doing it, and never shout at him.

Try a halti collar, once you have it on him, over praise him and give hima treat. Encourage him with treats, and slowly reduce the number of treats you give him and show him more affection instead.

Regarding the biting, i had this problem with one of my dogs. When he nips you, hold his mouth closed gently for a few seconds. Take your hand away and if he continues biting do it again. He'll get the idea. Just remember not to shout and scream when he bites, if you do he's getting the attention he's craving. What breed is the dog by the way?

I wouldn't hold him up and shake him like the vet suggested, I'd question what vet you went to if this was his exact advice.

The halti i mentioned above can be useful for the biting problem too. It controls the dog from under the head, so it puts no pressure on his neck or body. It also acts as a muzzle when you pull him to you. Perhaps walk around the house with him on this for a few days and when he starts to snap just pull him to a sitting position and hold the halti so he can't bite.

It worked wonders with my dog. Any more problems/questions you can pm me if you like.

katie25 wrote: »
    My dog is an 8 months old male. He constantly bites and pulls at family members clothes. I have marks on both my arms and legs where he has bitten me. This can last all day and for most of the evening. Its doesnt seem like he is being playful as he grinds his teeth and can be quite aggresive.

When I go to put on his lead before a walk he runs away. Then when i eventually put the lead on him he freezes and stays still, he is almost like a statue. I find this very odd as I thought most dogs would be excited to go for a walk .I have to carry him out of the house as he wont walk. Once he is out he is fine but he growls at other dogs and people. I have tried bringing him out for more walks but this has not helped his behaviour either. I have also tried to displine him by putting him out of the room , rasing my tone of voice, spraying water when he snaps. The vet suggesed lifting him up by the back of the neck and shaking him as this would be what his mother would have done. None of this has worked and he just keeps coming back for more biting even harder this can last hours.He is very friendly in the morning or when I first see him and likes to be petted but during the day or the evening if i try to pet him he snaps and doesnt seem to like affection.I just find his behavour strange in a puppy. When friends come into the house he constantly barks at them. Honestly dont know what to do, please can someone help me!

Advertisement