Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the ugliest street in Dublin City?

Options
  • 31-12-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭

getting the aircoach back from the airport the other day and it hit me again how tatty Dorset street is, and how ugly the shop fronts are. It's a pity as its the first view of Dublin for most visitors to the country.

If not Dorset street does any other one come to mind?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

silverharp wrote: »
    If not Dorset street does any other one come to mind?

The Dublin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lot of work going on Dorset St at the moment, give it time and anyway it's not so bad at the moment

My vote goes to Mount St in Dublin 2.
    That godawful ESB office block has destroyed what was once an attractive street.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Post reported. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good, then I don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Flogged to death in the Dublin forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

micmclo wrote: »
    Lot of work going on Dorset St at the moment, give it time and anyway it's not so bad at the moment

My vote goes to Mount St in Dublin 2.
    That godawful ESB office block has destroyed what was once an attractive street.
    I personally would prefer Mount Street to Dorset Street any day. I hate Capel Street too, actually that whole area between Smithfield and the Jervis Centre is miserable - especially in winter. Ditto the main street in North Strand. Lots of Dublin's north inner city is really depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dudess wrote: »
    I personally would prefer Mount Street to Dorset Street any day. I hate Capel Street too, actually that whole area between Smithfield and the Jervis Centre is miserable - especially in winter. Ditto the main street in North Strand. Lots of Dublin's north inner city is really depressing.

Pssst... you're supposed to move this now... not take part in it..

Anyway.. the ugliest street in dublin is whatever street happens to have me walking down it at the time.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pssst... you're supposed to move this now... not take part in it..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Lots of Dublin's north inner city is really depressing.

So?? The question was ''The ugliest street in dublin city'' not the most depressing street in dublin!!!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You somehow think the north inner-city isn't in the city? Where the hell is it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

I'd have to say Parnell st , the side with Ilac centre and the like .
    Its not the ugliest as in run down terms but those new buildings just dont fit in , it looks like a futuristic halting site..

as for the most run down i would have to say Summerhill , that place is awful looking.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    So?? The question was ''The ugliest street in dublin city'' not the most depressing street in dublin!!!

-VB-
    The ugly ones ARE depressing! That wasn't an anti-Dublin rant by me by the way. I love Dublin and hope to move back up soon (now I'm gonna get attacked by the Cork posters - sigh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The ugly ones ARE depressing! That wasn't an anti-Dublin rant by me by the way. I love Dublin and hope to move back up soon (now I'm gonna get attacked by the Cork posters - sigh!)
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Welcome to being a mod! Oh, wait, wrong thread..

Ok lads, take it from a northsider.

Its none other than Marlborough Street.

Now Dudess honey, lock the god damned thread because I'm always right.

The ugliest street in Dublin City?

All of them as far as I'm concerned.

Oh that's such a Galway thing to say!
    Mairt wrote: »
    Ok lads, take it from a northsider.

Its none other than Marlborough Street.

Now Dudess honey, lock the god damned thread because I'm always right.
    Aw I love the way pure Dubs always call me "honey". My mate lives on Marlborough Street - horrid all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Yes to Parnell and Marlborough Street. Also Upper Grand Canal street round Rabo bank is pretty awful.

Want your go pal? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The ugly ones ARE depressing!
    Ugly street tend to be much more interesting though.

In my opinion the ugliest streets that come to mind would be...

1. Bonham Street
    2. Island Street
    3. Bridgefoot Street

.........and they all happen to be southside! :D

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Want your go pal? :mad:

At what? Does it involve cards? I like cards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

silverharp wrote: »
    getting the aircoach back from the airport the other day and it hit me again how tatty Dorset street is, and how ugly the shop fronts are. It's a pity as its the first view of Dublin for most visitors to the country.

Agreed. It's very grotty for any visitor's first impression of the city. The first part of Drumcondra is quite nice but once you hit Dorset St. it's embarassing. At least when the aircoach turns onto North Frederick St. it improves considerably. Maybe Aircoach should show a video for the first 15 minutes of the trip so the new arrivals aren't looking out the windows!

And just to add my two pence to the argument - Not all items about Dublin belong in a Dublin forum. I consider the Dublin forum a place for Dubs. It's the capital and gateway and what a visitor sees in their first few hours in a country is important. The trip from Birmingham airport to the city centre is awful and really gave me a bad impression of the city regardless of how rejuvinated it is.

At what? Does it involve cards? I like cards :)

Fisty cuffs ma'laddie.

See that was an oppertunity to ban me, seeings how your a Newbie Mod, and i want to loose my Ban Virginity.

BAN ME I'VE BEEN A BAD LITTLE ELF!!!:eek:

cum n lv u n0w u wan 2!:)

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

10/1 she doesn't know how to lock threads yet.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

upper abbey street

for the love of god someone bomb it

please

nesf wrote: »

Alt + F4, obviously:rolleyes:

nesf wrote: »

LOL:D

Store Street, Talbot Street, pretty much all that area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Moore St

Advertisement