Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the ugliest street in Dublin City?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Can't beleive Marlborough St hasn't been mentioned yet - what a kip! Agree with Capel St, Dorset St, Talbot St - all in need of a good makeover!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ideo wrote: »
    Can't beleive Marlborough St hasn't been mentioned yet - what a kip!

Read a few posts up, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Mairt wrote: »
    Ok lads, take it from a northsider.

Its none other than Marlborough Street.

Now Dudess honey, lock the god damned thread because I'm always right.
    Can't beleive Marlborough St hasn't been mentioned yet - what a kip! Agree with Capel St, Dorset St, Talbot St - all in need of a good makeover!

..?

edit: beaten to it ;x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

thats what you get for speed reading! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Grafton Street, with its horrible paving and mishmash of cheap-looking shop-fronts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ray777 wrote: »
    Grafton Street, with its horrible paving and mishmash of cheap-looking shop-fronts.

It certainly is in need of a makeover more so than any other street. The path is in bits.

O'Connell bridge is in a bit of a state too and is held together with bits of plastic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

To tell you the truth the whole inner city needs an overhaul, like with any other European capital. Theres so many run down parts, where do you start!!
    The quays are particularly grotty and need to be refaced. I'm sure anyone who takes the bus from the airport into the city centre would agree that the place resembles a ghetto!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Dublin,it's bootifull,serves yis alright for getting the bus. You should get a taxi,my taxi,and look at the back of my head,I'm told it's quite attractive, and I could regale you with tales of ehh...stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    Its none other than Marlborough Street.
    Eglinton wrote: »
    once you hit Dorset St. it's embarassing
    Helix wrote: »
    upper abbey street
    Dudess wrote: »
    Store Street, Talbot Street, pretty much all that area.
    Moore St
    Marlborough St .. ...... Capel St, Dorset St, Talbot St
    Ray777 wrote: »
    Grafton Street
    Is this thread about the ugliest streets in Dublin or the ugliest shopping streets?

All the streets mentioned above are like the grandiose boulevards of Paris compared to many Dublin Streets! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All the streets mentioned above are like the grandiose boulevards of Paris compared to many Dublin Streets! :eek:

Agreed. Marlborough Street in particular is filthy but not ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

A street that should be beautiful but isn't is Upper Camden Street (the street that runs past The Bleeding Horse.

One of the most beautiful entryways in the city is there, on a building with shattered windows, which has a notice saying a block of apartments is going to replace its group of houses.

I hope the apartments are going to incorporate the beautiful entry, a broad arched door, really lovely.

What about these less salubrious streets? :D

BroadstoneArea.jpg

JamessStreet1-1.jpg

MooreLaneCambell.jpg

NorthKingStreet3.jpg

NorthLotts.jpg

RailwayStreet.jpg

RearofCunninghamRoad.jpg

RydersRow-1.jpg

StLukesAvenue.jpg

Summerhill2.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Gorgeous, every one of 'em!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ypur second last picture there of Cork Street is a bit unfair, the rest of the street is updated with apartments and really modern. Only reason thats like that now is because it a listed buliding and can't be knocked down and its unsafe to start any sort of buliding work on it.

Most of those pics are of a couple of houses,not a street, with the exception of south lotts, that doesn't rule a street as bad because it has a few derelict buildings. Pic no 7 is of a beautiful building, I'd live in it no matter what street it was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Which one is South Lotts?... I don't recognise any of them as South Lotts.

The South Lotts i know has people living in real houses on it along with a modern race track the other side of it :)

Sorry,pic no 5,it's north lotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Let's face it lads, most of Dublin is in bits and in need of a serious overhaul. Travelling in Paris and Edinburgh, now that's how to keep cities looking well. Even small fishing villages I have seen in Portugal are better maintained. Too much graffitti and rubbish in Dublin. Little Anto will scrawl his black marker all over some fine granite building.... Corpo and councils are not doing their jobs well in Dublin, and since most of the tax money is generated here, it's a shame that more of it goes out of Dublin and is spent by effective politicians looking after their constituency. Dublin TDs and Councillors are shít.

[/rant]

And for me, I think North Circular Road is pretty bad these days. Could be one of the most exclusive roads in the country, but instead they build slumhole flats nearby, sublet the fine houses to foreigners and junkies (thanks eastern health board), seemingly abandoned cars and rubbish strewn about the gardens.

Dublin needs a serious facelift. There's a theory known as the 'broken windows' hypothesis which suggests that the more run down and kippy a street is, the more likely it is to suffer from crime. I believe it.

Ypur second last picture there of Cork Street is a bit unfair
    That ain't Cork Street, it's St luke's Avenue - the most misnamed street in Dublin! ;)

How can a picture be unfair? :confused:

For the record, as I've said in a previous post, I like those type of streets. I wouldn't have taken a picture otherwise. I find the touristy parts of Dublin extremly uninteresting.

For those of you comparing Dublin with other cities, you have to remember that many of us visit those cities as tourists and probably don't venture off the beaten track (unless you are like me :)). Much of Paris and Rome are delapidated and ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Eglinton wrote: »
    Agreed. It's very grotty for any visitor's first impression of the city. The first part of Drumcondra is quite nice but once you hit Dorset St. it's embarassing. At least when the aircoach turns onto North Frederick St. it improves considerably. Maybe Aircoach should show a video for the first 15 minutes of the trip so the new arrivals aren't looking out the windows!

And just to add my two pence to the argument - Not all items about Dublin belong in a Dublin forum. I consider the Dublin forum a place for Dubs. It's the capital and gateway and what a visitor sees in their first few hours in a country is important. The trip from Birmingham airport to the city centre is awful and really gave me a bad impression of the city regardless of how rejuvinated it is.
    I remember 20 years arriving at Liverpool airport and on leaving the car park entrance being greeted buy wait for it ' a 20 foot endless line of nettles ' as far as the eye can see .Thankfully that has all gone and it's now JL international airport and capital of culture 08 to boot .But equaly like parts of north city Dublin ,when you leave liverpool city centre and venture onto prescot road you come into an area very much like dorset street with old ugly 19th/20th century buildings .Thankfully there is a lot of rejuvanation building work going on in and around Liverpool now and these ugly bulidings will some day (soon) be a thing of the past .

• Advertisement

That ain't Cork Street, it's St luke's Avenue - the most misnamed street in Dublin! ;)

Its the Coombe by-pass isn't it?

Where does St.Luke's Avenue go from to? The Funeral home to where the building pictured is?

Its the Coombe by-pass isn't it?

Where does St.Luke's Avenue go from to?
    It used to be called the Coombe Relief Road. I'm not sure when it was rebadged as St Luke's Avenue though.

........some time prior to March 2006.

Where does St.Luke's Avenue go from to? The Funeral home to where the building pictured is?
    Ardee Street to Dean Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in the south city i would say meath street, very depressing. thank god i have only been there once.

in the north city it has to marlborough street, hopefully it will change when/if the luas goes down it

Wishbone Ash cheers for that information, learn something new everyday:D

admiralofthefleet Meath St isn't that bad, what's so ugly about it?

in the north city it has to marlborough street
    I'm inclined to think that anyone who thinks that Marlborough street is the ugliest street in Dublin, doesn't get out much! :D

MarlboroughStreet2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ok, sorry. the abbey street end of marlborough street is bad.

meath street looks manky and the buildings need a deep clean, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

The Part of Marlborough st. that connects with Sean McDermott st. is pretty grim too , that church is pretty gloomy ,

• Advertisement

nannou4 wrote: »
    that church
    The Pro Cathedral! ;)

Advertisement