Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Human Resources

Options
  • 31-12-2007 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all
    I am seriously considering a masters in HR for Sept 2008, one year full time. I am mid 20's with a Business degree from DIT which I finished in May 2004. Since I have been working in Management / HR and have built up good experience.

Is there anyone here that has done one and can advise? What is the workload like, and are they worthwhile. The main two choices seem to be UCD and DCU, or Galway if I want to travel, which I dont

Also, are there tax reliefs etc available for mature students?

All help appreciated, they are very expensive so I want to be well informed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Hey there,

I am currently doing the HRM masters in Smurfit. I am slightly different position though, after just finishing an undergraduate degrre in Social Science in UCD. The workload is heavy enough but not amazingly so.
    Would you be doing it part-time or full-time?

I think they are defo worthwhile. Nowadays there are alot of openings for qualified HR professionals.

to do with mature students, there are several in the course who are in your position of having working in the sector. they find it very rewarding from what ive heard.

if ya have any other questions, just ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AD2007

Hi Bigslick, thanks for your reply. This is the exact course I am looking at applying for. I am planning to do it full time.

I totally agree about the opportunities in Hr these days, I am speaking from experience also.

I would be very interested to know the following

1) how many are in the course and what is the age and gender balance
    2) What months does the course start and finish
    3) What is the examination process
    4) Is the lecture format / teaching methods any different to a degree, and is there any teamwork etc involved?
    5) Finally, is the course full of 'high achievers' (people who have 1.1's in their Degrees etc) or are the people of mixed academic ability. It is hard to judge what someone means by 'heavy workload' without knowing if they are of a similar or much higher ability than yourself. I got a 2.1 in my degree.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help

1) there are about 35 in this years masters. we have been told that that number is unusually high for this particular masters. gender balance is very much towards the female side. i believe there are about 9 guys or less this year.
    2) starts september and has 3 semesters, the last one which will finish approx beginning august or slightly earlier.
    3) the examination process depends on modules chosen. some will have 50-50 on continuious assessment and end of semester exams. there are two main exam times, christmas and summer.
    4) the lecturing is very similar to a degree format, however there are projects that are required for each module and these require you to work with a team in order to make a presentation to the class on a certain topic. there are also team written projects for certain modules.
    5) most are of the 2.1 variety. i am sure there may be one or two people who have a 1.1 but a 2.1 is the norm it would seem. the workload is heavy but not unachievable for anyone who has come out of a degree with a healthy grade.

if ya have any other questions let me know.

bigslick

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

this this something i also wouldnt mind doing, however i didnt get a great result in my degree (3rd class)....is there a minimum grade to get in?

catyb20 wrote: »
    this this something i also wouldnt mind doing, however i didnt get a great result in my degree (3rd class)....is there a minimum grade to get in?

It is indeed a very interesting route to take after 3rd level education. I would say they have a minimum grade of a 2-1 to get into the course, but i say this loosely as i know a few people who have got into the course with lower marks.

i think it just depends on the demand of the course in whichever year. which course did ya do if you dont mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

bigslick wrote: »
    It is indeed a very interesting route to take after 3rd level education. I would say they have a minimum grade of a 2-1 to get into the course, but i say this loosely as i know a few people who have got into the course with lower marks.

i think it just depends on the demand of the course in whichever year. which course did ya do if you dont mind me asking?

thanks for the reply. i did single honors geography but id prefer to get a job that is more people orientated (not teaching)

Well id say just email them (ro.comerford@ucd.ie, this seems to be the MBS admissions Manager although ive never talked to him/her) or drop in and have a chat with them. I was curious about this course last year and they were very open and friendly with me, inviting me in to chat with them.

And in case u think that one must come from a business background to do this course, i did an undergraduate degree in social science, and many others i know have done them in science and finance. So all fields are welcome.

If ya have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

I'm also thinking of doing a masters in HR in Smurfit but not full-time. Graduated with a tourism management degree last year so I dunno if there's a chance for me to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Christinalit

Hi i was just wondering if you know if the demand for this course is high every year or has the demand gone down since the postgraduate grants have been cut? i am really interested in this course and have applied but only recieved a 2.2.
    is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting in?????????? would really appreciate your feedback and advice!

Advertisement